AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #4,651 of 5,483
I went ahead and tried out the Ether flow tuning upgrade on the closed Aeons and would like to report that it produces a very detail rich experience at the expense of allowing too much of the higher frequencies to reach my ears. Very bright and fatiguing with no filters in place.

note: I applied the sticker over the driver after removing the white foam that is part of the stock setup.

To tame back the highs I have resorted to using the one notch white in combination with the black foam...which in essence returns the setup back to my previous ideal setup (just black foam).

With the 1.1 kit, the white and black filters I find a very satisfying Bass response but still an overly bright presentation of the music and plus the tuning pads are pressed firmly against my ears.

Thought I would share my impressions so that others may know what to expect.

After returning to the stock with the black foam I realize that it was best to just trust Dan's setup!!!

Best,
Keith

Dec 21, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #4,652 of 5,483
Hello everyone. I managed to avoid this website and stay satisfied with my AFC w/ black foam+ bimby+asgard 2 setup. However the Lyr 3 has grabbed my attention and i have that urge to type in my credit card information lol!
Does anyone here have any experience with upgrading from an Asgard 2? I read alot about people saying the extra power is good for the AFC, however the asgard 2 is plenty loud for me around 11-12 o clock on high gain.
I mostly listen to electronic music, after reading about the AFO it seems it might be better for electronic because of the midbass bump. I feel like I want to trade the AFC for the AFO. Also was thinking adding the Loki to EQ the bass up a bit on the AFC. Has anyone used the Loki to make the AFC closer to the AFO sound. Hope my post makes sense. Thanks

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #4,653 of 5,483
Hello everyone. I managed to avoid this website and stay satisfied with my AFC w/ black foam+ bimby+asgard 2 setup. However the Lyr 3 has grabbed my attention and i have that urge to type in my credit card information lol!
Does anyone here have any experience with upgrading from an Asgard 2? I read alot about people saying the extra power is good for the AFC, however the asgard 2 is plenty loud for me around 11-12 o clock on high gain.
I mostly listen to electronic music, after reading about the AFO it seems it might be better for electronic because of the midbass bump. I feel like I want to trade the AFC for the AFO. Also was thinking adding the Loki to EQ the bass up a bit on the AFC. Has anyone used the Loki to make the AFC closer to the AFO sound. Hope my post makes sense. Thanks
Never compared A 2 and Lyr directly, but my Schiit headamp progression was

Asgard 2 < Jotunheim < Lyr 3​

for Ether C Flows. I also own AFCs, but I don't like them as much on the Lyr as on solid-state amps (currently on a Neurochrome HP-1 at work). Music is almost disjoint from yours: modern jazz and classical, world, very little electronic.

Dec 22, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #4,654 of 5,483
Will post it here as well.
AFC with a new cable plus Black Label are really really nice together!

DSC_0043.jpg

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #4,655 of 5,483
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #4,656 of 5,483

I have. Essentially turn up the mid-bass up 2-3 dB. It’s not the same as the AFO but it sounds closer. Truthfully, the AFC isn’t as good for electronica as the AFO but it really shines with jazz and anything that benefits from being able to hear every detail. The AFO isn’t as resolving or detailed, but it’s probably better for relaxed casual listening.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #4,658 of 5,483
I have. Essentially turn up the mid-bass up 2-3 dB. It’s not the same as the AFO but it sounds closer. Truthfully, the AFC isn’t as good for electronica as the AFO but it really shines with jazz and anything that benefits from being able to hear every detail. The AFO isn’t as resolving or detailed, but it’s probably better for relaxed casual listening.

Thanks for the info. I may put up a post to see if anyone would want to trade an AFO for a AFC plus some extra cash for slight cosmetic issue. I ordered the Lyr 3 and Loki. I will report back with my experience using them both.

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #4,659 of 5,483
im having an issue with channel imbalance with the AFC. it sounds like the soundstage is shifted to the left slightly enough to be distracting. same deal with the new lyr 3 amp compared to Asgard 2

I purchased this pair late June and received them early July of 2017. I don’t remember thinking about this imbalance until recently this year. Last time I checked my hearing everything was in normal range on both ears. Anyone else experience this issue and can offer a solution?

Sounds go wider on the left side and a lot of sounds just seem to just have a left side bias. Vocals shifted to the left a bit as well.

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #4,660 of 5,483
im having an issue with channel imbalance with the AFC. it sounds like the soundstage is shifted to the left slightly enough to be distracting. same deal with the new lyr 3 amp compared to Asgard 2

I purchased this pair late June and received them early July of 2017. I don’t remember thinking about this imbalance until recently this year. Last time I checked my hearing everything was in normal range on both ears. Anyone else experience this issue and can offer a solution?

Sounds go wider on the left side and a lot of sounds just seem to just have a left side bias. Vocals shifted to the left a bit as well.

So do you know if it’s the amp or the phones that is the problem?

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #4,661 of 5,483

I had the same thing on the AFO, except to the right. Get them replaced.

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #4,663 of 5,483

Have you tried switching the cable from L to R to rule out a broken cable?

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #4,664 of 5,483
Would IFI Nano iDSD have enough power to drive the AFO? Thanks

I haven't tried the Nano, but the Eco setting on the Micro (possibly similar output to the nano?) seems to be insufficient to get the best sound from that DAC/Amp. They can get plenty loud even with a DragonFly Red, but I don't like the sound they produce unless properly amped.

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #4,665 of 5,483
I had the nano with the AFC and it worked fine. I had other compatibility issues with the nano so I returned it. But it seemed to have plenty of power and did sound pretty good with the Aeon's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back