AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,492 of 5,483
Are there any plans to offer a balanced version of the DUMMER cable? I'd like to be able to try my Aeons with my Liquid Carbon in balanced mode.

We'd like to at some point but right now we've not found an XLR that's affordable and nice, they've not had quality we're comfortable with.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #2,496 of 5,483
got my bifrost multibit back guys, the bass with the pads in is sounding really nice... it's interesting that on some tracks i'm expecting or wanting more bass. I believe these headphones are just accurately reproducing the song as it is! That darn bass knob is my car has spoiled me haha. Has anyone had any improvements to the sound with EQ? e.g tuning bass frequencies to sound similar to the headphones with pads while not actually using the pads?a

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #2,497 of 5,483
Along the lines of bass, I had an opportunity to spend extended time auditioning the Aeon against the Eikon yesterday. Stock cables with each and through Sony's TZ-ZH1ES. I own the Aeon and am thoroughly enjoying it, but of course curiosity is getting the best of me and the Eikon was my other real contender after I decided against the Z1R (WAY to much bass for ME). My session left me with the feeling that if the Aeon had a touch more low end it would be perfect, truly perfect. With that said however I also think I'd prefer he Eikon with a touch less bass. I dont for a second claim that the Aeon is light on bass, I think it's very accurate (natural?). Apparently it turns out that I like a mostly neutral linear headphone with just a touch (the sliiiightest bit) of bass emphasis. I can't EQ it with my gear so I'm going to try and monkey with it in Roon. I'll report my results. I will say that I'm tempted by the Eikon, but I'm still really enjoying the Aeon so I'm going to hang with it for a while. But damn the rich but accurate sound of the Eikon is nice and those wood cups are beautiful. Grass is always greener! If I had the money I'd certainly own both.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,498 of 5,483
Along the lines of bass, I had an opportunity to spend extended time auditioning the Aeon against the Eikon yesterday. Stock cables with each and through Sony's TZ-ZH1ES. I own the Aeon and am thoroughly enjoying it, but of course curiosity is getting the best of me and the Eikon was my other real contender after I decided against the Z1R (WAY to much bass for ME). My session left me with the feeling that if the Aeon had a touch more low end it would be perfect, truly perfect. With that said however I also think I'd prefer he Eikon with a touch less bass. I dont for a second claim that the Aeon is light on bass, I think it's very accurate (natural?). Apparently it turns out that I like a mostly neutral linear headphone with just a touch (the sliiiightest bit) of bass emphasis. I can't EQ it with my gear so I'm going to try and monkey with it in Roon. I'll report my results. I will say that I'm tempted by the Eikon, but I'm still really enjoying the Aeon so I'm going to hang with it for a while. But damn the rich but accurate sound of the Eikon is nice and those wood cups are beautiful. Grass is always greener! If I had the money I'd certainly own both.
Without being negative towards the great Aeon, I hope there will be some kind of sequel to the Aeon; kind of like what the HD650 has been to the HD600.
Clearly the HD600 is the most neutral and balanced onem but many poeple will prefer the warmer sound.
There's nothing wrong with chosing a warmer tone; after all, even in live concerts, there is no such thing as the absolute perfect hall.
I can say that the concert hall of my city produces some damn harsh sibilant sounds ! (Depending on where we are seated of course).

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2,499 of 5,483
Without being negative towards the great Aeon, I hope there will be some kind of sequel to the Aeon; kind of like what the HD650 has been to the HD600.
Clearly the HD600 is the most neutral and balanced onem but many poeple will prefer the warmer sound.
There's nothing wrong with chosing a warmer tone; after all, even in live concerts, there is no such thing as the absolute perfect hall.
I can say that the concert hall of my city produces some damn harsh sibilant sounds ! (Depending on where we are seated of course).

I agree, a warmer successor or equal to the aeon ( possibly open? ) headphone would be very intriguing, indeed. I wonder how tubes would sound with the aeon!

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,500 of 5,483
I agree, a warmer successor or equal to the aeon ( possibly open? ) headphone would be very intriguing, indeed. I wonder how tubes would sound with the aeon!
Oh but not open not open !!!!
The open back market is saturated in my opinion, so many great cans out there !
But in the really well sealing ambiant isolating closed back, THERE IS NOHING that competes with MrSpeakers offerings.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #2,501 of 5,483
Hi,

Listening to Aeon (Burnin since last Monday night ) with iBasso DX200(Burnin from this Monday).
Starts to open a lot, unlike the first week ( almost don't want to listen at all ).
Using DX200 EQ as well = lots of bass and very details as well.
Aeon is very hard to drive. Pushing to almost max volume ( 135 -- 150 ) depending on certain songs recorded.

Both units still have plenty of hours > 200 hrs to burnin.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #2,502 of 5,483
collected mine today...i must say the details are amazing compared to the rest of headphones i have.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,504 of 5,483
Speaking of the fix, anyone get the shipping label to send theirs in yet or are we still waiting for this to start happening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back