AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 22, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #2,086 of 5,483
Thanks. I have my eyes on the upcoming CMA400i which has some good early reviews. And I imagine it sounds close to the 600i.

Questyle makes good products. In fact I believe they just won a "Best Sound" award at the Los Angeles Audio Show

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,089 of 5,483
Seeking recommendations... I have been enjoying my AEONs with the iDSD BL, connected to my laptop as source.
I wanted to try out tube amp, and was looking for a desktop tube amp and DAC to pair with the AEONs.
I heard from others that the Little Dot MK3 is a very nice starter tube amp ($250). Anything else in the sub-$500 range I should consider? and what would be a good DAC (input: USB) to be considered? Chord Mojo? Any other sub-$500 DAC (either portable or desktop) I should consider?

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #2,090 of 5,483
Seeking recommendations... I have been enjoying my AEONs with the iDSD BL, connected to my laptop as source.
I wanted to try out tube amp, and was looking for a desktop tube amp and DAC to pair with the AEONs.
I heard from others that the Little Dot MK3 is a very nice starter tube amp ($250). Anything else in the sub-$500 range I should consider? and what would be a good DAC (input: USB) to be considered? Chord Mojo? Any other sub-$500 DAC (either portable or desktop) I should consider?

Can't the BL be used as a DAC only? BTW, how do you think the Aeon sound out of the BL?

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #2,091 of 5,483
Can't the BL be used as a DAC only? BTW, how do you think the Aeon sound out of the BL?
Good point - unless I get some interesting recommendation for a DAC to work with whatever tube amp is recommended, I could use the BL as DAC only. Didn't think of that option... :deadhorse:

As for pairing the AEONs with the iDSD BL - it sounds great together. Very detailed while fun. Power wise - very easily driven! No surprise there.
Only want to try a tube setup since I never had tubes, and wanna hear how that sounds :)

so... tube amp that pairs well with the AEONs and does not break the bank? Little Dot MK3? others?

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #2,092 of 5,483
@Zachik

Too bad ALO didn't still produce the Pan Am. Great little tube amplifier that was, perhaps you can find a used one. There is the ALO Cv5 which you may be interested in.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #2,093 of 5,483

The lyr 2 is a great option and in your budget. Good Dynamics

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #2,094 of 5,483
You may want to look at the Garage 1217 amps. Sunrise III and Ember. Good sound, way more flexibility in tailoring the sound to suit your taste or headphone than the Schiit. Considerably less money too.
I have both, though I have not used them with my Aeon yet, they have not disappointed me with any headphone to date.
If you care to play with Tube rolling, the Ember allows plug and play with more tube types than any other amp that I have come across.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,095 of 5,483
You may want to look at the Garage 1217 amps. Sunrise III and Ember. Good sound, way more flexibility in tailoring the sound to suit your taste or headphone than the Schiit. Considerably less money too.
I have both, though I have not used them with my Aeon yet, they have not disappointed me with any headphone to date.
If you care to play with Tube rolling, the Ember allows plug and play with more tube types than any other amp that I have come across.
Can you please post some impressions after testing the Ember and Sunrise with the AEONs? I am curious what DAC you use it with.

Also, anyone else tried the AEONs with ANY other tube amp? Really looking forward for impressions. Dan mentioned one of the Cavalli amps, but that one is on a different (price) level... :wink:

Lastly, any opinions on the Little Dot Mk3? I read through their (pretty old) thread, and people REALLY like it. It is also very cheap entry to tube ($249 shipped to US).

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,096 of 5,483
Can you please post some impressions after testing the Ember and Sunrise with the AEONs? I am curious what DAC you use it with.

Also, anyone else tried the AEONs with ANY other tube amp? Really looking forward for impressions. Dan mentioned one of the Cavalli amps, but that one is on a different (price) level... :wink:

Lastly, any opinions on the Little Dot Mk3? I read through their (pretty old) thread, and people REALLY like it. It is also very cheap entry to tube ($249 shipped to US).

I don't have a tube amp, but at home I pair my AEON with G1217's Project Polaris (with Mojo acting as DAC), which is a warm SS amp. The thing with the AEON is that the sound is very smooth you don't want to use tubes that magnify this quality. The sound is sufficiently smooth (for me) even when driven by the Mojo alone. This goes especially for orchestral strings, when I don't hear much organicity from them. The smoothness is great for other genres, though.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,097 of 5,483

A little bit more than your budget is the Cayin HA-1A MKII tube amp and is good for tube rolling.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 22, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2,098 of 5,483
I don't have a tube amp, but at home I pair my AEON with G1217's Project Polaris (with Mojo acting as DAC), which is a warm SS amp. The thing with the AEON is that the sound is very smooth you don't want to use tubes that magnify this quality. The sound is sufficiently smooth (for me) even when driven by the Mojo alone. This goes especially for orchestral strings, when I don't hear much organicity from them. The smoothness is great for other genres, though.

I listen mostly to Rock, Hard Rock, Metal and Alternative. No classical music (does it mean I am not a classy guy?! :wink:). So I guess the "extra" smoothness is not a concern for me.
I already have the iDSD BL, and the Jot. I wanted an additional (inexpensive) tube amp to get a taste of tubiness...
Right now, my candidates are (at no particular order):
G1217 Ember II
Schiit Lyr2
LittleDot Mk3

I am looking for actual opinions from people who actually tried the AEONs with a tube amp :)

Thanks guys.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #2,099 of 5,483
A little bit more than your budget is the Cayin HA-1A MKII tube amp and is good for tube rolling.

Jason - that's a gorgeous looking amp! A little over my budget, but I would still consider it. Maybe. (sigh. tough hobby on the wallet)
Being better equipped than most of us (working for The Source) - which sub-$1,000 tube amps (preferably sub-$700) do you have on display to try the AEONs with?

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,100 of 5,483

I love the schiit vali 2 with my aeon. That's what I use at work with a modibit dac. The vali is a nice hybrid amp that's got lots of power, good staging, good resolution, and a nice sound signature. Its not going to give you that traditional warm syrupy sound otl amps are known for. Its on the more neutral side, but with a touch of warmth. Tube rolling will tweak its signature, of course. I use an eh 6922 gold pin, which is a new production tube with good speed and a slightly warm presentation. With that tube, the vali gives a taste of tube sound without being too thick and warm. The nice thing about the vali, being a hybrid amp, is its flexibility. With a fairly low output impedance it works with efficient headphones like the aeon, as well as high ohm cans like the hd600/650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back