Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #511 of 830
Of all of the musical adjectives I'd use to describe the AEON 2 Closed, "thin" and "shrill" don't come to mind.. at all.

The AEON 2 Closed is not a perfect headphone (nothing is), but it's certainly not thin-sounding; rather, it's warm and well-rounded.

Color me confused.

You’d be suprised how some units sound. And I speak from real experience. Not all AFC 2 sound the same.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #512 of 830
You’d be suprised how some units sound. And I speak from real experience.
I won't deny the concept of "unit variance"; I've heard it myself before, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Still, if so many reviewers (on Amazon) have cited the same recurring issue (thin, shrill, etc.), are the discrepancies occurring on their end, or on mine?

For what it's worth, I greatly enjoy my AEON 2 Closed; it's not perfect, but it's certainly great-sounding.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #513 of 830
I won't deny the concept of "unit variance"; I've heard it myself before, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Still, if so many reviewers (on Amazon) have cited the same recurring issue (thin, shrill, etc.), are the discrepancies occurring on their end, or on mine?

For what it's worth, I greatly enjoy my AEON 2 Closed; it's not perfect, but it's certainly great-sounding.

It could be that they had a similar unit like my 1st AFC 2. Only way to find out is it do what I did and get a replacement unit. My 1st AFC 2 was thin and shrill too.

I don’t think there is nothing wrong on your end, because my replacement unit sounds like nothing like that too.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #514 of 830
Well that is a known thing, pre-order units had a different tuning, should be just the units from 2019. All 2020 units should have the current more V shaped tuning. I liked better the older tuning for pairing with my desktop amps. In fact, I like the original AFC the most, even tho it sounds really anemic compared to the rest, if you A/B them. I liked it because it was really transparent, mid-range and treble were spot on.

Also I found the older units have some really good synergy with Audio-gd amps. It wasn't subtle at all, kind of spooky even.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #515 of 830
The new cable is actually super durable. It's got kevlar shielding and is made with silver-plated OFHC wire. It doesn't tangle, is lighter, is non-microphonic, and sounds great, which is why we made the change.
Can confirm. I really like this cable so far. Just got my Aeon2 Noire's and the new cable is much better, its just too long for my liking.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #516 of 830
Whenever someone mentions cables I say the same thing - I buy all my cables from Hart Audio - they're perfect IMO. Thin, flexible, light, but don't feel cheap.

To be more on topic, I got my Noir yesterday. The looks are a huge step up from the red color! The red reminds of children's toy ferraris, the new black is just evil.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #517 of 830
After a few exclusive nights with the Aeon 2 Noir and my FiiO M11Pro and Chord Hugo 2, I absolutely love them! Definitely the best closed-back headphone under $1,000 that I've come across thus far. I prefer them to many more expensive TOTL closed back headphones costing substantially more FWIW. This is one fun review and really puts a smile on my face!

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #518 of 830
After a few exclusive nights with the Aeon 2 Noir and my FiiO M11Pro and Chord Hugo 2, I absolutely love them! Definitely the best closed-back headphone under $1,000 that I've come across thus far. I prefer them to many more expensive TOTL closed back headphones costing substantially more FWIW. This is one fun review and really puts a smile on my face!

Can't wait to read it!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 17, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #519 of 830
Man.. I’m tempted to pick up a Noir. I love my AC2’s but wouldn’t mind more bass.

anyhow, in moving I lost the tube to my MCTH. I packed it somewhere special and.. well I’m sure I’ll find it in a few years. Anyhow, I plugged the AC2’s into an XSX controller expecting nothing and to my surprise it actually sound pretty good. Gave me a good chuckle.

With my lost tube it seems like now is a good time to treat myself and get the Aeon 2 a real amp like ifi micro iDSD Black Label. I never heard a bad thing about it

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #520 of 830
Man.. I’m tempted to pick up a Noir. I love my AC2’s but wouldn’t mind more bass.

anyhow, in moving I lost the tube to my MCTH. I packed it somewhere special and.. well I’m sure I’ll find it in a few years. Anyhow, I plugged the AC2’s into an XSX controller expecting nothing and to my surprise it actually sound pretty good. Gave me a good chuckle.

With my lost tube it seems like now is a good time to treat myself and get the Aeon 2 a real amp like ifi micro iDSD Black Label. I never heard a bad thing about it

I think you may be able to just change to perforated pads on your A2C to get similar sound profile of the Noir. Unless you really like the black color. They do look good!

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #521 of 830

I haven't heard the Noir myself, but the change in sound is a result of the different pads used (perforated). Dan himself has confirmed this. :)

I think you may be able to just change to perforated pads on your A2C to get similar sound profile of the Noir. Unless you really like the black color. They do look good!
Yes, the black does look a lot better than the red. A change in color has made the AEON 2 Closed a lot more "portable", who would've thought. :wink:

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #522 of 830
The new cable is actually super durable. It's got kevlar shielding and is made with silver-plated OFHC wire. It doesn't tangle, is lighter, is non-microphonic, and sounds great, which is why we made the change.

how does the new DUMMER cable compare to the VIVO cable? i just purchased the VIVO for my A2C for $300 and it sounds like the stock Noire cable in regards to silver plated OFHC. Please correct me if I am wrong, because this bothers me a lot. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #523 of 830
I haven't heard the Noir myself, but the change in sound is a result of the different pads used (perforated). Dan himself has confirmed this. :)

Yes, the black does look a lot better than the red. A change in color has made the AEON 2 Closed a lot more "portable", who would've thought. :wink:

I actually prefer the red colour of the AFC 2. A complete black one reminds me too much of the AFC 1.

Can you get a discount if you already own the AFC 2 btw? If not, then I will probably look into pad rolling.

However pad rolling with these headphone is difficult as they are glued, hence why I would rather just buy the Noir if the price is right.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #524 of 830
I actually prefer the red colour of the AFC 2. A complete black one reminds me too much of the AFC 1.

Can you get a discount if you already own the AFC 2 btw? If not, then I will probably look into pad rolling.

However pad rolling with these headphone is difficult as they are glued, hence why I would rather just buy the Noir if the price is right.
I replaced the pads and it was easier than I had feared. Careful pulling on one spot to separate them, then work your way around the pad. The new one can be carefully fit right back. Voila! No ripping. I would like the quick change adapter, but I don’t feel the need to go back or switch much. Really like the new tuning a lot.

Edit: But I really like the black, too, and wish my A2C were black, but not $900 worth.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #525 of 830

Whilst pad rolling with the AEON 2 Closed isn't a straightforward affair, it seems fairly "easy" in this Dekoni tutorial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back