Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #541 of 830
Tested on a completely different setup. Still have to crank it all the way to the right. They sound really good but I feel like something has gotta be off here.

41B93FD8-EF80-47C4-9761-2FD81FA020CA.jpeg
They do require a lot of power. The thread on Audio Science Review goes over this in their measurements. They are not very sensitive. Constant 13ohm impedance so need a high current amplifier. Using my Qudelix with my Aeon2 Flow Closed I have to run it balanced in high output power mode with the performance profile. Before doing any EQ I'm pushing around 1.5V RMS to just be loud enough.

Quote from user solderdude in Audio Science Review, "Coupled to the low voltage efficiency and considering those that want to reach impressive levels (110dB peak) will need 4.5V = 1.3W"
Screenshot_20210128-015942.png

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #543 of 830
The Chord Mojo easily handles the AFC 2 without breaking a sweat. Makes you wonder what some of those $3000 DAP’s are doing that they struggle with the AFC 2.

DAP’s worked fine with my IEM’s such as the Campfire Andromeda, but it was their inability to handle the AFC 2 which stopped me from replacing the Poly + Mojo with a high-end DAP :p

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #545 of 830
They do require a lot of power. The thread on Audio Science Review goes over this in their measurements. They are not very sensitive. Constant 13ohm impedance so need a high current amplifier. Using my Qudelix with my Aeon2 Flow Closed I have to run it balanced in high output power mode with the performance profile. Before doing any EQ I'm pushing around 1.5V RMS to just be loud enough.

Quote from user solderdude in Audio Science Review, "Coupled to the low voltage efficiency and considering those that want to reach impressive levels (110dB peak) will need 4.5V = 1.3W"

Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to try them with my 5K just to test it and have been waiting for my balanced cables that I have on order from Hart first but after seeing your post I decided to give single-ended 3.5mm a try. I am at -20db and it is more than loud enough for me. I took the Noire off and put it on my desk and I can still hear the lyrics of the song playing on them from a few feet away. Maybe I just listen at lower volumes but maxing the volume was way too loud for me. Perhaps part of it has to do with source? I am currently using Amazon HD on a V60 (i am at about 70% volume on V60 without using the aux cable trick). Realistically these will never leave my desktop setup but thought I would try and given the discussion here.

Edit: i should note that on the 5K I turned EQ off since I dont need to EQ the Noire.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-113424.png
    Screenshot_20210128-113424.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210128_113936_HDR.jpg
    20210128_113936_HDR.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #548 of 830
Okay, I've had my Aeon 2 Closed for awhile now, and I'm posting here with my two cents. This headphone is absolutely amazing, but take that with 3 big grains of salt: 1, I'm using it with fairly expensive gear, so other people's A2C's might not sound as good, 2, I've literally never heard any headphone this expensive before, so I'm no expert, and 3, I'm using it with a 650 dollar aftermarket upgrade cable, so again, other people's A2Cs likely don't sound this awesome. But I have to say, with my setup I can't personally detect any of the weaknesses reviewers mentioned. The treble is not overly bright or irritating, even with no inserts in there, piano notes decay sound flawless as far as I can tell, and no particular part of the sound seems very recessed or excessive. Male and female vocals both sound equally outstanding, at least to my inexperienced ears. I'm using the A2C directly out of my Chord Hugo 2 amp/dac with a small DAP as the source, connected via optical to the Hugo 2. I strongly suspect there is some killer synergy here with the Aeon family of cans and the rather unique Chord sound, as has been discussed by many Chord fans for years (as well as by Rob Watts who engineers the Chord dacs). The bass doesn't slam. It just doesn't. Nor does the treble sparkle like a flock of manic fairies in a butterfly garden. This to me is a semi relaxed kind of sound, it's reasonable and pleasant, and suitable for all day listening unlike a hard slamming bass cannon or a sparklicious treblestravaganza. But you will hear lots of treble details all day, and you will hear deep, accurate, undistorted bass. I also want to confirm another well known fact: the Aeons scale up very, very well with better audio gear. If you think your gear is overkill for the Aeon 2, rest assured it ain't. Seemingly this goes for the headphone cable as well as amp/dac/source. I have no doubt that not all A2Cs sound this satisfying but mine seriously does. Upgradeitis: vanquished.

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_094757526.jpg
    IMG_20210129_094757526.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #549 of 830
In my experience that happens when your amp lacks juice to power them properly.
So I have over 100 hours of burnin on my Noire... That has eliminated the uneven treble I had initially experienced. To me, with the black one notch insert, these sound fantastic. I am surprised they don’t seem to be getting more attention here. Very happy with my purchase.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #550 of 830
Just ordered the Aeon Flow X closed from Drop. All this talk about powerful amps has me concerned. I currently have a JDS Atom. Is this going to be sufficient to drive? I don’t listen loud but I care about dynamics.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #551 of 830
Just ordered the Aeon Flow X closed from Drop. All this talk about powerful amps has me concerned. I currently have a JDS Atom. Is this going to be sufficient to drive? I don’t listen loud but I care about dynamics.
The RT closed sounded fine off the JDS Atom my roommate has. I think the RT/X aeons scale well with better gear but I think the Atom will hold you over just fine. If you grab better gear down the road then at least you know the aeons will scale with it.

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #552 of 830
The RT closed sounded fine off the JDS Atom my roommate has. I think the RT/X aeons scale well with better gear but I think the Atom will hold you over just fine. If you grab better gear down the road then at least you know the aeons will scale with it.
Thanks - appreciate it.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #553 of 830
Okay, I've had my Aeon 2 Closed for awhile now, and I'm posting here with my two cents. ...

I love mine for the comfort and the SQ. As per your experience, it scales well with high end gear. I have run it balanced using my full rig (details in my sig) and it is superb. Right now I have it running single ended from my ALO Pan Am and it is extremely enjoyable.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #554 of 830
Another thing I forgot to mention: if you're a gamer who cares about audio, the isolation the Aeon 2 Closed provides is an upgrade to sound quality in and of itself, because it will more or less completely remove the fan noise coming from your pc or game console from the equation. It was really never possible for me to fully enjoy the audio of PS4 games until I got a highly isolating closed back headphone, and likewise with PC gaming, tons of fan noise. Unless you play games on an expensive silent ninja PC, they'll never sound their best with open back headphones or speakers, you'll always have fan noise diluting the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back