Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Jan 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #496 of 830
Perforated pads give the closed a very close match to the Harman Curve, reducing midrange warmth a bit with a bit more of a “v” to the Response, that moves the center of the stage a bit further away, like moving a few seats back from the stage.. It’s a fun tuning...
perfect! exactly what I am looking for. I've ordered my aeon2 noire which come stock with the new pads.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #498 of 830
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #499 of 830
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #500 of 830
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #501 of 830
I received my aeon 2 noire's with the stock dummer cable.
I was very disappointed to see they have revised the stock cable with a rubber sheath instead of their standard braided cable sleeving. I guess this will probably prevent you from twisting the ends into a mess, but I would have selected a different cable had I known ...

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #502 of 830
I received my aeon 2 noire's with the stock dummer cable.
I was very disappointed to see they have revised the stock cable with a rubber sheath instead of their standard braided cable sleeving. I guess this will probably prevent you from twisting the ends into a mess, but I would have selected a different cable had I known ...

Looks like I will need to get a new cable when I get mine (told it will ship this week). What are people using? Hart has been swamped and unresponsive so I was thinking LQI. Has anyone used both and is one more more manageable (cable thickness/flexibility) than the other? I like that LQI offers 4 ft cables since this will be for a desktop setup where I have enough clutter as it is. I like the idea of a modular system but more of a nice to have for me.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #503 of 830
Looks like I will need to get a new cable when I get mine (told it will ship this week). What are people using? Hart has been swamped and unresponsive so I was thinking LQI. Has anyone used both and is one more more manageable (cable thickness/flexibility) than the other? I like that LQI offers 4 ft cables since this will be for a desktop setup where I have enough clutter as it is. I like the idea of a modular system but more of a nice to have for me.

Hart has been very busy. I have a set for dca that I use for my ether c 1.1 and they are good. I like the thiness of the hart audio cable. I also have a cable from audiophile ninja that is thicker and feels more robust at my desk setup. I haven't tried the lqi cables but I am not a fan of that style of braid unsheathed.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #504 of 830
Hart has been very busy.

He can still order from hart and just wait. The only concern would be the rubber cable not being as durable. It is still very usable.

My real issue is this new revision isn't even listed on their website. DC Audio is etched into the TRS connector so it's not like this was random mix up...

Attachments

• 20210113_115759.jpg
    20210113_115759.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #505 of 830
The new cable is actually super durable. It's got kevlar shielding and is made with silver-plated OFHC wire. It doesn't tangle, is lighter, is non-microphonic, and sounds great, which is why we made the change.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #506 of 830
https://www.amazon.com/Dan-Clark-Audio-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B081VTPZNN/

So what's the likelihood that the negative reviewers did not use an amp?

It's always hard to say. Generally, scanning these I would suspect two issues. The first is an inadequate amp, but since the posters don't provide any details about their systems this is a guess. But after many years of doing this, the vast majority of people who say the phones are "shrill" used a phone or a low-power USB DAC dongle and they're clipping.

Similarly, when people complain of no or low bass this is often either the same problem, using a phone, or bad seal, for example around glasses. Or sometimes it's simply because they came from a bass cannon and this isn't the sound they're used to or prefer. Because it's amazon not everyone talks to us prior to requesting a return so we can't always provide the support to resolve issues like this and we aren't always sure what the configuration is, so I don't and can't imply the reviewers are wrong or negate their comments, it's just probable at least some ran into these issues.

As always it's best to read the pro and con reviews and also the professional reviews, as professional reviewers tell you their equipment and their music selections as well as referencing other gear, and that lets you know more about whether the reviewer tends to hear and prefer as you do, or likes gear you may not. Amateur reviews seldom help with specifics like this and thus lack a reference point for the reader to calibrate impressions. That's my POV, anyhow. YMMV.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #508 of 830
https://www.amazon.com/Dan-Clark-Audio-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B081VTPZNN/

So what's the likelihood that the negative reviewers did not use an amp?

Could be he had one of those bad units as there is significant product variability with the AFC 2.

My 1st AFC 2 sounded really bad. It had a massive treble peak and the bass was terrible. And none of the supplied pads could fix it. I really regretted trying to save money by not buying the Focal Stellia.

I even preferred listening to the Bose NC 700 and the Sony WH-1000XM3 over the AFC 2.

However, a replacement unit fixed it. People who heard both AFC 2 units described the differences in the exact same way (the 1st unit was a lot brighter and much less bass).

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #509 of 830
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #510 of 830
My alpha primes right driver starting having issues. So instead of doing the sensible thing of first opening up the right cup, testing continuity, realizing it was a bad solder joint, and fixing it in 30 minutes. I decided it would be easier to open up my wallet; :money_with_wings: or :head_bandage:.

So, I had the privilege to compare all 3 current aeon closed options. The pack size of A2 is unreal, it takes up a similar volume to the Sony XM3/XM4 case.

A2C (returning). I could immediately notice a sibilance issue that even the 2x notch white could not completely dampen.
AC RT (returned). More clamping than A2C, not quite as comfortable. No sibilance issue, but also is about as portable as my alpha primes.
A2C Noire (keeping). No sibilance problem.

Maybe it was the pad swap? Or maybe it's that black is a cool color and red is a warm color? :)

soundstage review mentions a similar experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back