Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Nov 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #106 of 830
All this meandering in discussion is really just a symptom of the problem that nobody has these in their possession yet and so there's basically nothing to talk about except for speculation.

I mean Frank has his review up but I never see him on the forms so I see your point... I'd be nice to see more review samples in the hands of not just the pro reviewers but also the forum goers so there can be more pointed and useful discussion

There's nothing in stock to purchase at this time either and a few of the vendors I usually work with don't even have their samples yet. The @willsw and the LTA guys had a pair at their LTA Table so he might have had a bit more time listening with it

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #107 of 830
To stay in-line with Head-Fi's Posting Guidelines, we ask that everyone please keep all cable discussion related to the Aeon 2 in this thread. For general cable discussions, we invite you to check out the cable threads that are already in full-swing on the forums. Thanks all, we appreciate the assistance.

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #108 of 830
To stay in-line with Head-Fi's Posting Guidelines, we ask that everyone please keep all cable discussion related to the Aeon 2 in this thread. For general cable discussions, we invite you to check out the cable threads that are already in full-swing on the forums. Thanks all, we appreciate the assistance.

Really, no discussion about Cable rolling for Aeon 2 can be had if no one has the headphone. Matt's thoughts a valid as he owns it an he's not responding to a lot of this discussion

Everything else is just speculation and "general" discussion. I don't care where it's discussed but here isn't the place. I mean the sound science guys have an awesome thread too
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how...audio-cables-do-not-make-a-difference.481385/

@AxelCloris what do you think of the headphone, I know Jude has already done a video

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #109 of 830
I actually have a balanced 2.5mm cable from Dyson Audio that’s sitting unused in my Aeon’s case. I’d be happy to let it go for a very fair price if you’re interested. It came with the headphones when I purchased them but I have no use for the cable.
PM sent.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #112 of 830
love the form factor, but now i am confused which to consider open or closed aeon2, the original closed aeon was bit cold and analytical and bass was lacking, did that change now
That would be my question as well, lack of warmth was a deal breaker for me when I had the original on hand. I'm going to closely follow the thread and see if people have noticed a significant re-tuning. Perhaps there are already enough impressions so I'll read back and see.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #113 of 830
That would be my question as well, lack of warmth was a deal breaker for me when I had the original on hand. I'm going to closely follow the thread and see if people have noticed a significant re-tuning. Perhaps there are already enough impressions so I'll read back and see.

Well I felt the original aeon flow closed does have a fairly full Bass with quite a bit of warmth the 2 closed that I heard at Capital audiofest was a little bit more linear so not quite as warm and not quite as much Bass I know the original is very fit dependent if you don't get a good seal it tends to sound a bit anemic the seal on the newer one seem to be much more robust less finicky but it was still leaner than the first model

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #114 of 830
Well I felt the original aeon flow closed does have a fairly full Bass with quite a bit of warmth the 2 closed that I heard at Capital audiofest was a little bit more linear so not quite as warm and not quite as much Bass I know the original is very fit dependent if you don't get a good seal it tends to sound a bit anemic the seal on the newer one seem to be much more robust less finicky but it was still leaner than the first model
Thanks for the input, even if it seems to be different from what I am reading. If I am reading people's impressions correctly, I thought the bass was substantially improved with the new edition Aeon? If it had less bass prominence/impact, that would really be a concern for me. I am not suggesting my preference is at all in line with others, I do tend to prefer some warmth and find neutral signatures dull and unengaging so I was looking forward to a non-neutral tuning. Anyway, looking forward to following developments and see how things shake out. I haven't quite gelled with the tuning of other Mr. Speakers models, which I know many, many, people love so I am always looking out for clues that a new tuning approach may finally help me decide to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #115 of 830
When they say better I think what they mean is more linear better texture better Dynamics bass on aeon flow closed can be a little forward depending on the fit.

Again what I heard a capital audiofest was a bit too dry for my taste I do have other portable balanced amplifiers that add just a touch of warmth so hopefully when I pick up an aeon 2 closed for myself I want to see how it sounds with those systems

Right now I feel that my own original aeon flow closed is a bit too thick to be paired nicely with any of my tube gear, it would probably be good for you to sit down and have a listen to Aeon 2 closed on a variety of systems before you get a chance to purchase it, I'll also say this the Mr speakers ether C closed also changes more than I expected from system to system, but what it always maintained is that spacious presentation and detail... just the tonality tended to vary based on what you were hooking it up to.

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #116 of 830
I’ve read both threads and people’s impressions and even comments from Dan- say the Aeon2C has more bass, more impact, warmer and more relaxing than the original. Most of the comments have those things in common. So looking good for us that found the original lacking in warmth and impact. Hope that helps
From the man himself “Bigger soundstage, more midrange presence, more detail, more dynamic“
But as you know I guarantee you a lot of people that were happy with the original may find the new version not to their taste. That’s life some will like them some won’t

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #117 of 830
I’ve read both threads and people’s impressions and even comments from Dan- say the Aeon2C has more bass, more impact, warmer and more relaxing than the original. Most of the comments have those things in common. So looking good for us that found the original lacking in warmth and impact. Hope that helps

https://headfonics.com/2019/11/dan-clark-audio-aeon-2-first-contact/

Still the guys that headphonics talk about a more linear base without having as much emphasis from the low-end bleeding into the mid-range

So it sounds like a reduction in quantity but a better balance overall again we will have to have more people hear it and somebody to get a good set of frequency response and Distortion measurements to hopefully put two and two together

Did Jude's video happened to feature to measurements off their G.R.A.S

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #118 of 830
https://headfonics.com/2019/11/dan-clark-audio-aeon-2-first-contact/

Still the guys that headphonics talk about a more linear base without having as much emphasis from the low-end bleeding into the mid-range

So it sounds like a reduction in quantity but a better balance overall again we will have to have more people hear it and somebody to get a good set of frequency response and Distortion measurements to hopefully put two and two together

Did Jude's video happened to feature to measurements off their G.R.A.S

I disagree “It also sounds like the bass is a touch more linear on the new AEON 2 with not quite as much mid-bass to lower-mids disconnect as the original.”
The statement above does not mean less bass

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #119 of 830
I disagree “It also sounds like the bass is a touch more linear on the new AEON 2 with not quite as much mid-bass to lower-mids disconnect as the original.”
The statement above does not mean less bass

So I mean less in terms of quantity of decibels relative to the rest of the spectrum, not less is enrolled off less as in not forward. And even if you have a very forward base it can still lack punch and impact as those are qualities more related to how cleanly that low-frequency Spectra is presented if you have an excess of harmonics and a very forward days it can be kind of soft.

I watched over the video again and I appreciate what Dan talks about with your position in a live concert or relative two rows of seats or given distance from the stage

when you're in the front row male vocalist sounds chestier there's more low-frequency presence when you sit a little further back you don't get as much of that low-frequency forwardness

And while the original aeon flow closed is not very bass forward it is not quite as linear in comparison to something like an HD 800

given the way that he talks about the changes hea made

it makes sense that they've pulled back on that bass forward presentation if they're able to further reduce the distortion and improve the Dynamics literally the change from quiet and Loud they can achieve both a flatter low-frequency presentation that has more impact

literally a cleaner wave coming against you versus a softer less to defined one, and even though the quantity of decibels of Spectra or frequency coming at you as lower your perception is that it's more because it's better defined

But that's how I understand it based on my listening experience and if you don't agree that's okay!

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #120 of 830
So I mean less in terms of quantity of decibels relative to the rest of the spectrum, not less is enrolled off less as in not forward. And even if you have a very forward base it can still lack punch and impact as those are qualities more related to how cleanly that low-frequency Spectra is presented if you have an excess of harmonics and a very forward days it can be kind of soft.

I watched over the video again and I appreciate what Dan talks about with your position in a live concert or relative two rows of seats or given distance from the stage

when you're in the front row male vocalist sounds chestier there's more low-frequency presence when you sit a little further back you don't get as much of that low-frequency forwardness

And while the original aeon flow closed is not very bass forward it is not quite as linear in comparison to something like an HD 800

given the way that he talks about the changes hea made

it makes sense that they've pulled back on that bass forward presentation if they're able to further reduce the distortion and improve the Dynamics literally the change from quiet and Loud they can achieve both a flatter low-frequency presentation that has more impact

literally a cleaner wave coming against you versus a softer less to defined one, and even though the quantity of decibels of Spectra or frequency coming at you as lower your perception is that it's more because it's better defined

But that's how I understand it based on my listening experience and if you don't agree that's okay!
No worries it ok to interpret stuff differently . Thanks for the comments. For mewhen I read from multiple people saying the AO2c has more slam and impact than the original I was sold- I am sure in the coming weeks we will see more impressions and get a better feel on sound signature -

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back