Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Nov 15, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #137 of 830
Has anyone received a Aeon 2 or even gotten a shipping confirmation? I ordered a week ago and never got shipping info, wrote them and got a 'thanks for being patient'. I thought they were shipping, no?

Yup, got mine.

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #138 of 830
Yup, got mine.

What do you think! Lyr 3 might be a good match for the newer Aeon 2 and I see your an original AFC owner as well

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #139 of 830
What do you think! Lyr 3 might be a good match for the newer Aeon 2 and I see your an original AFC owner as well

Don't know yet. Haven't listened to them. They are upstairs playing on the Vali 2 right now to break in some. I'll be able to give them a good listen this weekend...by then they'll have about 50 hours of play time so that I can get a good handle on their sound versus the originals. The Lyr 3 worked wonderfully with the originals, and as the sensitivity and impedance specs are about the same I expect it will work quite nicely with the A2's as well. At a 13 ohm impedance the Lyr 3 puts out over 9 watts per channel, so that should be just enough. :laughing:

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #140 of 830
I've had my Aeon 2 Closed for a few days now and I think they sound quite stunning. The initial impression, as compared to the OG Aeon Flow Closed, is a fuller sound with more clarity and punch. The bass is definitely more pronounced on the Aeon 2, but it also feels more natural. The AFC, in my opinion, had very pronounced sub bass but were somewhat lacking in mid bass. The Aeon 2 accentuates the mid bass quite a bit more without sacrificing the sub bass or bleeding into the midrange. Some might find it a little too bass heavy for certain genres, but it definitely provides "slam" for rock, hip-hop, and EDM.

As for powering the Aeon 2, I've tried them with the Dragonfly Cobalt, the Chord Mojo, and the iFi micro iDSD Black Label. All three of these provided plenty of juice for listening at modest volume, and they all sounded good to my ears. The Mojo contributes some extra warmth to the already somewhat warm sound of the Aeon 2, which I found to be a bit too much and this was my least favorite pairing. The iDSD Black Label sounded the best to me, and listening to the remixed and remastered Abbey Road on Tidal Masters (MQA) was an absolute revelation!

I'd highly recommend these headphones to anyone that doesn't insist on a completely flat or neutral tuning. These may not be "reference" headphones for use in the studio, but they provide wonderful musicality, which is exactly what I want when listening to, you know, music! :)

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #141 of 830
Don't know yet. Haven't listened to them. They are upstairs playing on the Vali 2 right now to break in some. I'll be able to give them a good listen this weekend...by then they'll have about 50 hours of play time so that I can get a good handle on their sound versus the originals. The Lyr 3 worked wonderfully with the originals, and as the sensitivity and impedance specs are about the same I expect it will work quite nicely with the A2's as well. At a 13 ohm impedance the Lyr 3 puts out over 9 watts per channel, so that should be just enough. :laughing:
9 watts per channel. . . come on man, where is the power? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I really can't wait to read your impressions, by the way! Happy first listening bro!

Nov 15, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #142 of 830
9 watts per channel. . . come on man, where is the power? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I really can't wait to read your impressions, by the way! Happy first listening bro!

Yeah, I know...9 watts is pretty wimpy. Hopefully I'll be able to manage. :relaxed:

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #144 of 830
There are some comparisons above. One person liked AFC 2 more than Ether C Flow, another liked the neutrality of Ether C Flow over the AFC 2.

I can only compare with the Ether Cx, I gave some impressions earlier. I find them to be complimentary rather than competitive with one another. The AFC2 is V or U shaped, while the Ether Cx is more neutral.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #145 of 830
They can't be complimentary because you can't use both at once >:u
Competing or different, yes, but not complimentary.

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #147 of 830
Can anyone compare the Audeze LCD2 Closed-back to the Aeon Flow 2 CB?

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #149 of 830
Another question as for amp synergy especially desktop amps:
I havent used a desktop amp in years but got interested in the schiit stuff. I would only use them with the aeon 2 closed would either the jotunheim or the lyr 3 be the better match?
Does anyone know if either one of those if configured with multibit dac will also have a line level output? (want to use that with my powered speakers).
Thanks in advance for any info and suggestions,
Greeting, Anouk,

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #150 of 830
Very interested in comparisons with the campfire cascade!

I hate to post opinions on these forums as I am not able to articulate as well as others. I have both sets of cans, best I can say is that I have the Cascade's on sale on Ebay. Comparing the two are like night and day. I feel like the Cascade is definitely more of a bass-head can, heavier/bloomier bass that bleeds into the mids..The mids are also quite recessed on the Cascade. Best I can say is that the A2C is more linear yet with that defined punchy bass that planars bring with very little bleed over into the mids.

I don't remember, but if you were the one located in Plano, you are welcome to come by the house and listen to them both..the Cascades will sell on Monday unless you have a pair you can bring. I use a Icanpro for my desktop amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back