Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Apr 9, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #661 of 830
I might be willing to try out the ES100 since it is pretty cheap. The other DAP's etc. are not only too much extra to carry, but add a big amount on the price. At that point I'd just go for the denon 9200's since they sound great.

I only rarely need it on the go, so when I test out the Aeon2's with the other headphones, it is maybe possible to choose that now :) I am definitely looking for something with a good soundstage, so hoping it works out. I am guessing it should work just fine with the Element II dac/amp power wise.

Yes, I can see where you're coming from.

I do also think that a Bluetooth receiver would be the best solution in your case. It's very easy to get spoiled with the convenience those kind of devices offer once one get used to it :wink:

Trying them out with my Qudelix 5K right now because my wife is using my laptop at my desk (where my desktop setup also is) for a Zoom call so I dont have access to my usual desktop or laptop sources. Perfect excuse to test my Aeon 2 Closed Noire with my 5K and, although I definitely prefer them with my Grace Design m900 (usually use my Noire with this at my standing desk/laptop setup in my living room) the Noire isn't too bad with the 5K (esp for a tiny $110 device). Here is a screenshot to show where my volume is currently (streaming Amazon Music HD via LDAC 990 from my LG V60 --> Qudelix 5K --> Hart Audio cable with 2.5mm balanced interconnect --> Aeon 2 Closed Noire). Plenty of headroom for me but I think I do tend to listen at lower volumes than others.

Attachments

• 20210409_234940.jpg
    20210409_234940.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210409-235711.png
    Screenshot_20210409-235711.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #662 of 830
So i wanted to bring the image of my DCAAeon2c(red) more out in front of me and had some pads made by Vesper Audio with a more extreme angle.
Went with leather on the outside and fenestrated on the inside 20mm thick front 35mm thick back memory foam and a gel layer.
While i dit not really succeed bringing the image more to the front. It sounds way wider to me now.
Now sounds sometimes seem to come from outside the cups. (somthing i never really had with the original pads)
Bass seems to have more of a kick to it and cymbals seem more lively (less dry) so i think it made the frequency curve more V shaped.
Looks like dynamics are improved a little.
The cooling gel layer only works for like 5 minutes to keep it cooler than the original pads.
For as far as i can observe the disaventage is that there is more sibilance. (might be a big one depending on what genres you listen too)
Where i used the thick black felt insert on the original pads i use the white ones on the Vesper pads to try town that down a bit.
The inserts don't fit as well on the original ones because the net is not fixed to the inside of the pad but on the outside so they can move around a bit.
Here are they compared to the original ones:

IMG_8389.jpg

IMG_8388.jpg

May 3, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #666 of 830
So it seems Dan Clak reads this topic... I've contacted your company over the web form 3 times, over e-mail 2 times, no response... do you have a customer service?
Not only do they have customer service, in my experience, it's some of the best in the biz. Particularly Sue, who is so easy to deal with when you have issues. I agree, check your spam folder. They might be backed up and busy or something, but otherwise they're really good.

May 3, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #668 of 830
Not only do they have customer service, in my experience, it's some of the best in the biz. Particularly Sue, who is so easy to deal with when you have issues. I agree, check your spam folder. They might be backed up and busy or something, but otherwise they're really good.
+1. Simply excellent service when I needed it (once).

May 4, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #669 of 830
Well since they don't answer my questions (local apocalypse?) maybe I can ask you guys...

I am thinking about buying the Noire, but my concern is the glued cushions. What are the options when they wear off? I expect to enjoy a headphone this price for at least 15 years...

Will the Topping L30 drive the Noire nicely?

May 4, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #670 of 830
Well since they don't answer my questions (local apocalypse?) maybe I can ask you guys...

I am thinking about buying the Noire, but my concern is the glued cushions. What are the options when they wear off? I expect to enjoy a headphone this price for at least 15 years...

I believe Dan has said on some forums (here or ASR) that you can buy new pads from them or some third parties that make after-market pads. If you want to keep the tuning of the Noire, you can buy replacement perforated pads

Can't answer the second part because I don't have a Topping L30.

May 4, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #671 of 830

You can easily replace the pads, purchased from DCA directly, or through others like Dekoni. You simply peel the existing pads off, and place the new ones on that have fresh adhesive backing.

*edit: didn't see the above post

May 4, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #672 of 830
So it seems Dan Clak reads this topic... I've contacted your company over the web form 3 times, over e-mail 2 times, no response... do you have a customer service?
It seems like some email providers are blocking emails from DCA for some reason (blocking as in they wont even reach your spam folder).
I had issues receiving emails on my hotmail account and they contacted me with the phone number I provided for my order to explain the issue to me. After that everything got resolved very quickly.
Seems like gmail works reliably and I had no issues receiving their emails from my gmail account.

The company I work for had a similar kind of issue once and it was a major pain in the rear to get it fixed. Several customers and email providers were contacted just to identify the issue and then several more email providers and spam filter service providers to get a solution...

May 4, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #673 of 830

It will give enough volume since it will push like 3+ watts to them. How it will sound I'm not sure. I know other have said the A90 is a good pair.

Also DCA has been extremely responsive when I have emailed them in the past. I've used Gmail like others here. Might be an issue with your provider

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #674 of 830
It seems like some email providers are blocking emails from DCA for some reason (blocking as in they wont even reach your spam folder).
I had issues receiving emails on my hotmail account and they contacted me with the phone number I provided for my order to explain the issue to me. After that everything got resolved very quickly.
Seems like gmail works reliably and I had no issues receiving their emails from my gmail account.

The company I work for had a similar kind of issue once and it was a major pain in the rear to get it fixed. Several customers and email providers were contacted just to identify the issue and then several more email providers and spam filter service providers to get a solution...
Ah this makes sense. I'm using outlook.com, just so you guys now...

It will give enough volume since it will push like 3+ watts to them. How it will sound I'm not sure. I know other have said the A90 is a good pair.

Also DCA has been extremely responsive when I have emailed them in the past. I've used Gmail like others here. Might be an issue with your provider

Documentation link seems broken: http://danclarkaudio.com/docs/AEON 2 QUICK GUIDE - PRINT READY.pdf
How much watts does the Noire need to shine?
Now i have the https://en-de.neumann.com/ndh-20 which works great on the L30, volume goes up to 14:00h sometimes. Will the Noire be much harder to drive?

May 4, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #675 of 830
L30 is enough. Just like tires. You need to replace pads when they wear out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back