Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Apr 6, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #647 of 830
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #648 of 830
Just looking into the Aeon 2 noire, and wondering here how people have experienced the normal Aeon 2's just from a smartphone (no amp)

I have an Element 2 dac-amp for desktop (which will be 99% of my listening) but wonder if the Aeon 2, or Noires sound OKAY just from the phone. I know they need power, but if they can sound ok, it would be a big plus since I would love to use them while travelling and not needing to bring anything else with me (dongles, etc).

Is it bad sounding when coming from just a phone (samsung s10+), or would it still pass the grade? Obviously it is best from an amp, but just checking.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #649 of 830
Just looking into the Aeon 2 noire, and wondering here how people have experienced the normal Aeon 2's just from a smartphone (no amp)

I have an Element 2 dac-amp for desktop (which will be 99% of my listening) but wonder if the Aeon 2, or Noires sound OKAY just from the phone. I know they need power, but if they can sound ok, it would be a big plus since I would love to use them while travelling and not needing to bring anything else with me (dongles, etc).

Is it bad sounding when coming from just a phone (samsung s10+), or would it still pass the grade? Obviously it is best from an amp, but just checking.

With the Aeon 2 Closed even max volume is borderline too low in volume for me with the Samsung S10 listening at home in a quiet environment. I think that it would definitely be too low for outside usage. The sound isn't bad but it lacks in dynamics and volume. I don't think this would be satisfying in the long run.

Even with something like the Radsone ES100 or FiiO BTR3K the volume and dynamics are improved enough to be acceptable for on the move usage for my needs. The E1DA 9038s and Quedelix 5K works even better.

I hope this helps.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #650 of 830
What you think about Phatlab Sassy GT ? If it’s good match for it or better looking for what you recommend. I saw someone here selling one of this Sassy. Or it so old ?
its abit old and the tubes are not user replaceable

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #651 of 830

Driving from your phone you won't get loud volume and the headphone is going to sound flat.
I think it might be hard going from how it sounds with the Element 2 to your phone.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #652 of 830
Driving from your phone you won't get loud volume and the headphone is going to sound flat.
I think it might be hard going from how it sounds with the Element 2 to your phone.
Yes, I was just hoping that it might be passable since they seem to be a good value set of phones with nice portable design and a sound profile that works for me(tho haven't been able to try them yet). But there is always something!

I recognize it would also suck to have a set of cans only used at the desk unless I buy extra equipment.

I will try the new t5's and the Shure sh1540's, along with the Aeon2 when I get the chance and see how they compare. I tried the Denon 9200s and like then but they are super expensive.

Thanks for the input.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #653 of 830
Yes, I was just hoping that it might be passable since they seem to be a good value set of phones with nice portable design and a sound profile that works for me(tho haven't been able to try them yet). But there is always something!

I recognize it would also suck to have a set of cans only used at the desk unless I buy extra equipment.

I will try the new t5's and the Shure sh1540's, along with the Aeon2 when I get the chance and see how they compare. I tried the Denon 9200s and like then but they are super expensive.

Thanks for the input.
I mean it is definitely passable. I would say the Aeon 2 are my favorite closed backs but that would be wrong. They are my favorite headphone period. I’m sure you could deal with it coming out of your phone but you may have the itch to get a ifi HipDac or a powerful DAP. It will make ya want to spend money haha.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #654 of 830
Even with something like the Radsone ES100 or FiiO BTR3K
I do second that. It should be enough for casual “on-to-go”. However, in disagreement with spects a little, as far as “easy-to-drive” argument. True, you can hear sound with not a lot of power. But they come to life with a little muscle. For desktop, you can get decent 2-4wpc of quality current on the cheap these days.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #656 of 830
I do second that. It should be enough for casual “on-to-go”. However, in disagreement with spects a little, as far as “easy-to-drive” argument. True, you can hear sound with not a lot of power. But they come to life with a little muscle. For desktop, you can get decent 2-4wpc of quality current on the cheap these days.

I'm lucky enough to have a very large variety of different sources available and I'd say that from the Hiby R5 to the Burson V2+ the amount of improvement is less compared to the improvement of the sound going from my Samsung S10 to the Hiby R5. That being said I agree that they do need some power to shine.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #657 of 830
I'm lucky enough to have a very large variety of different sources available and I'd say that from the Hiby R5 to the Burson V2+ the amount of improvement is less compared to the improvement of the sound going from my Samsung S10 to the Hiby R5. That being said I agree that they do need some power to shine.
I might be willing to try out the ES100 since it is pretty cheap. The other DAP's etc. are not only too much extra to carry, but add a big amount on the price. At that point I'd just go for the denon 9200's since they sound great.

I only rarely need it on the go, so when I test out the Aeon2's with the other headphones, it is maybe possible to choose that now :) I am definitely looking for something with a good soundstage, so hoping it works out. I am guessing it should work just fine with the Element II dac/amp power wise.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #658 of 830
I might be willing to try out the ES100 since it is pretty cheap. The other DAP's etc. are not only too much extra to carry, but add a big amount on the price. At that point I'd just go for the denon 9200's since they sound great.

I only rarely need it on the go, so when I test out the Aeon2's with the other headphones, it is maybe possible to choose that now :) I am definitely looking for something with a good soundstage, so hoping it works out. I am guessing it should work just fine with the Element II dac/amp power wise.

Yes, I can see where you're coming from.

I do also think that a Bluetooth receiver would be the best solution in your case. It's very easy to get spoiled with the convenience those kind of devices offer once one get used to it :wink:

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #659 of 830

I always put it this way; phones are adequate for background listening levels, like wandering about the house doing chores or dishes, it's convenient and loud enough for my needs. Generally I prefer to use a good DAP though.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 8, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #660 of 830
I always put it this way; phones are adequate for background listening levels, like wandering about the house doing chores or dishes, it's convenient and loud enough for my needs. Generally I prefer to use a good DAP though.

Yes, this is my main use for 'on the go' where I am not looking for total hifi solutions. 99% listening at a desk/table, where I can have a dac/amp.

Now just to wait for the stores to open up so I can physically try the Aeon 2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back