advice wanted: best headphone for Burson HA160D and my music
Oct 18, 2011 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Twilight77

New Head-Fier
Hi

I ordered a Burson Audio HA160D since I could have a demo model at a good price and it seemed like a very good choice.

I am looking for a great headphone (preferable not more than 1200 dollars) to pair with it (for now I use the BW P5 on Ipod but I want something better for my Naim system and preferably an (semi)open headphone).

I listen to vocal music (Marc Cohn) and pop/rock (Coldplay, U2, Grace Jones) but also to Jazz and Classical music (piano, cello, violin, guitar).
I do not listen to Techno, Dance, Hardrock.

At first I was thinking about the Audeze LCD-2, but heard it was somewhat dark. Upgrading to silver cables helps but at a price (which cables are to recommended?).

Maybe the Hifiman-HE6 or a Beyerdynamic or Grado GS1000i (the small earpads of the cheaper ones do not fit me well) are better choices for me?

I would appreciate any advice.

However here in Belgium it is impossible for me to really compare everything. Some brands are simply not available here and other are only available when you place your order.

In a few weeks I will be travelling to Los Angeles so I could buy it in the US.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 8
Is better to tailor your system to a particular headphone rather than the other way around since they have the greatest impact on sound by far.

$1200 is a great budget and enough to get you pretty much anything besides the HD800s and other super expensive setups. Don't think you have to spend it all to get what you want though. What sort of sound are you looking for? The HD650s sound fantastic with the HA160 and can be had for a quarter of your budget. They also work well with a lot of the genres you've listed. On the more expensive side you have the LCD2s and the Beyer T1s. Never heard the LCD2 myself but I've read that its a pretty good match on the Burson. The T1s paired with the HA160 might be a tad boring for your tastes. The sound coming out of this combination is quite cold and analytical and probably not "fun" enough for most people. The bass is very deep but the impact might be slightly lacking depending on your tastes. 

Another cheaper option is the AKG 702 which IMO pair wonderfully well with the HA160 (even though I don't really care for the sound signature). The soundstage is huge but the vocals can sound "off" and the bass has very little impact.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 8
I've got the 'Slave to the Rhythm' Grace Jones EP playing on my 325i's and it sounds fantastic!

I say consider the new PS500 or GS1000i and pair it with the Burson.

The Burson is quite dark and warm, absolutely perfect for the GS1000i which has many reports
for being quite bright.

Your music taste pines for Grado treatment!

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 8
I will recommend the Ultrasone Edition 9, sennheiser HD800, T1, ATH-AD2000, Denon D7000 and Sony SA5000.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 8
With your budget, I'd get both the Hifiman HE-500, and the AKG K701/702. They would offer contrast to each other, and both be fantastic through the Burson (and with your choice of music). 

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 8
I keep reading that the LCD2 is not so ideal for jazz and classical so I will skip that one.

The Grado GS1000i in combination with the Burson intrigues me, anyone heard that combo yet?

The Sennheiser 650 and the Hifiman HE500 (or HE-6?) are also good apparently, anyone using them and willing to report on them (taking in to acount my style of music). Is the Hifiman HE500 as good as the HE6 with this amp? Are they better than the Sennheiser 650 (which is cheaper) here?

Anyone listened to the closed Ultrasone edition 8's yet with this amp?

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I keep reading that the LCD2 is not so ideal for jazz and classical so I will skip that one.

The Grado GS1000i in combination with the Burson intrigues me, anyone heard that combo yet?

Check this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/531710/burson-ha-160d-grado-good-bad-so-so

I think i read somewhere a review with the HA-160 and the GS1000 (correct me if im wrong) but i cant find the link to it. 

From what i read, the reviewer was pleased by its performance. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Alternately, if the Grado sound seems intriguing to you ... Grado RS-1 for Jazz and Rock - and Senn 650 for everything else. You can send me the left over $300. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back