Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range.
Oct 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #31 of 61
Quote:
Just curious, why do you feel that your GES is inferior to a Stax amp? Have you compared them directly?

I'm gonna sell it as a set with a 007, and no, I haven't compared them, but I'm a bit tired of tubes.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #32 of 61
Quote:
Comparing an iPhone's production to any product in the high-end market is ludicrous due to the difference in volume.  

Eddie Current gear has one of the lower markups in the cottage industry considering time and materials.  Justin's markups are also very reasonable, percentage-wise.

Don't get carried away, I was just making a point. I realize that all high end products are limited production. Still the term "limited" is all relative. Some high end products have a 5000 piece life and some have a 500 (or less) life expectancy. When we get down to the level of total market sales in the hundreds, the cost per unit skyrockets. It takes essentially that same prep to produce fifty as it would to produce 1000 sets. The ground work is the same. I know a little about this because I built over 30,000 high end sets in my life.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:
I think the only way to get this done at a reasonable price would be to do it as a group buy, maybe 25 members. If it was possible to get that many willing to go in then it may be possible to find someone to make a run. I would be in for sure.

Me too...
smily_headphones1.gif
2 members now.

Chodi. We only need 23 members...
We can start a new thread asking for new members to make that group. I think Dr Justin or Dr Gilmore could built a KGSS for us*..
basshead.gif

*Mine with european voltage pls..

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #34 of 61
Quote:
Me too...
smily_headphones1.gif
2 members now.

Chodi. We only need 23 members...
We can start a new thread asking for new members to make that group. I think Dr Justin or Dr Gilmore could built a KGSS for us*..
basshead.gif

*Mine with european voltage pls..

I think if we actually got the other 23 buyers it could really happen. I am quite serious about it if we get enough people I would be willing to help get it going.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

No. Nothing. Can’t see it. Really trying here.

It is possible if they are built on a "cost only" basis. If it were possible to get enough members going on this I would be willing to donate my time to the project. At that price level to build a quality product there would be no room for profit.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #39 of 61
Quote:
I think if we actually got the other 23 buyers it could really happen. I am quite serious about it if we get enough people I would be willing to help get it going.

I'll bite -that means 22 needed.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #40 of 61
It is possible if they are built on a "cost only" basis. If it were possible to get enough members going on this I would be willing to donate my time to the project. At that price level to build a quality product there would be no room for profit.

And who's going to build 25 amps for nothing?

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #41 of 61
Well I did do 20 T2 chassis and board sets for no profit. In fact i lost a bit of money.
And I did put up all the money up front. (about $27k)

Who is going to put up at least $40k for this.

Getting people to pay for this up front reeks of another mikhail con job.

Birgir has found a great chassis for a reasonable price that would be
perfect for this, and i'm going to do another board layout that will fit
it. Everything in one box.  But there is still some NC machining necessary
to make it look and work right.

This is a great deal of work.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #43 of 61
I'm going to lay out the boards for the chassis birgir found. Board files will be available to
anyone that wants them.  At this point birgir can probably get the NC work on the chassis
done cheaper than i can, i have to pay $70 per hour for machine time now. The $45 an hour
for the T2 chassis was a bargain which i will never see again.

I'm not stuffing boards. No way.

And 500+ lbs of aluminum, definitely no way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back