Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range.
Oct 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #46 of 61
I stopped building the KGSS for 1 reason - no one was buying it anymore.  The BHSE was outselling it 10 to 1.  The #1 reason I was given was that the enclosure was not sophisticated enough.  To make those improvements would have pushed the price over $3000.  The current STAX amps are quite good in that $2k price range, and extremely good at $1k (SRM-323S) which is why I'm no longer participating at that price point and am selling the STAX
o2smile.gif

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #47 of 61
I was disappointed that when I started  to be interested in the "Stax world", the KGSS leave manufacture. Every day I look to get one - it has been my main choice - but still no luck then I have to think in another model. For europeans buyers is more difficult because the model must have the voltage of Europe and most of KGSS should be in USA.

So we have to buy...to send it to USA and wait to receive again. My knowledge to handling electronics audio components are null..00

I think as Chodi. If there is a project to do something new I am also interested in participating

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #48 of 61
Quote:
I'm going to lay out the boards for the chassis birgir found. Board files will be available to
anyone that wants them.  At this point birgir can probably get the NC work on the chassis
done cheaper than i can, i have to pay $70 per hour for machine time now. The $45 an hour
for the T2 chassis was a bargain which i will never see again.

I'm not stuffing boards. No way.

And 500+ lbs of aluminum, definitely no way.

I’m guessing a low profile?
Would look slicker the usual 3U hunks, I’m looking forward to seeing this, count me interested.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #49 of 61
Quote:
I stopped building the KGSS for 1 reason - no one was buying it anymore.  The BHSE was outselling it 10 to 1.  The #1 reason I was given was that the enclosure was not sophisticated enough.  To make those improvements would have pushed the price over $3000.  The current STAX amps are quite good in that $2k price range, and extremely good at $1k (SRM-323S) which is why I'm no longer participating at that price point and am selling the STAX
o2smile.gif

l didn't know the BHSE was outselling the KGSS 10 to 1, but IMO the BHSE is an amazing amp and worth every penny l paid for it. The first electro amp l had was the SRM-007t, and if the KGSS was available even at $3000 or over, and l didn't have the BHSE, I'd buy the Headamp KGSS before any Stax amp, and from no builder other than Justin for that matter.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #50 of 61
Quote:
I’m guessing a low profile?
Would look slicker the usual 3U hunks, I’m looking forward to seeing this, count me interested.

It's the onboard version so it fits in a 2U chassis.  I don't like wasting space to I try to keep them as small as is possible. 

After doing some research into the KGSS and how to maintain the design with most parts at end-of-life I got the idea to build a handful of amps and sell them at cost.  The goal is twofold, first to do the legwork I need to standardize my builds so bulk order parts, cut down on wiring with PCB's etc.  The second is to show that attention to detail is crucial when building amps and how most MOT's utterly fail with this.  The amp would be the KGSS but improved and running at higher voltages (though not the KGSSHV) and tuned to sound a bit different.  New power supply too similar to the KGSSHV and T2DIY PSU so state of the art. 

The project is still on but since I have no free time or even days off it's going at a snails pace.  A prototype of sorts is about ready but that is just the first step on a long road. 

Btw.  If anybody contacts me about being on a list for this then the only list they'll go on is my ignore list. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Btw.  If anybody contacts me about being on a list for this then the only list they'll go on is my ignore list. 

basshead.gif

Hello Spritzer.

I was writing a PM to you to know a little bit more about this and in the last moment I decided to check the thread again and have seen the notice...

Now I do not know if I want to send the PM or not.

Well,  I will assume the risk and I'll send the message anyway..  

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #52 of 61
I wouldn't mind betting the one thing that would arouse headfiers interest, was if Birgir and Justin designed and built an electrostatic headphone amp together. But they are both very busy men so it will probably never happen.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #53 of 61

Quote:
I wouldn't mind betting the one thing that would arouse headfiers interest, was if Birgir and Justin designed and built an electrostatic headphone amp together. But they are both very busy men so it will probably never happen.

I heard theres some guy who draws schematics on placemats, you might want to add him to that list. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #56 of 61
With me owning the BHSE and having the Aristaeus on order, I'm not looking for another electro amp, I'm just trying to imagine what the amp would be like if Birgir, Justin and Kevin were to design and build an amp together. I've seen one of Frank's amps and it looked very nice, though I've never heard it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #59 of 61
Quote:
Alright, it’s time for an electrostatic amplifier upgrade, enough with issues from aging tube electrostatics or DIY’s done by others.  I’m thinking of finally purchasing something brand new from a reputable dealer that will not only have some kind of warranty, but longevity in the long run.
This ‘new’ amp will primarily be for my HE60(Baby Orpheus),  Stax SR-007 Mk1, HE Audio Jades,  Koss ESP950 and my Stax 404LE.
Yes, I know that the ultimate route to go would be a BHSE or KGSSHV or LL etc (all headphones in the roughly $5000 range).  But I really can’t afford nor justify (especially to the spouse) such a financial outlay.  I was hoping to keep it within the +/- $ 2000 range.  I have always liked  the warmth and musicality produced by tube amplifiers, but certainly am open to solid state or hybrid models.
I’m looking for a much improved sound than what I currently have with my T-1 and eXStatA, and ease of use, quality and reliability with longevity down the road.
Any help, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Bryan

SUCCESS!!! I am now the excited owner of a HeadAmp KGSS! And this one not only meets my needs, but has also been recapped and fully serviced to boot!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632765/ic-fs-headamp-kgss-completely-checked-up-and-recapped-by-innovative-audio-canada

And here are a set of flikr pictures:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/75985693@N05/sets/72157631841003202/detail/

So excited - finally, and for a great price!  Thanks for everyone's advice and help.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #60 of 61
^WIN

Congrats, I bought my 007 MK1’s from akwok, he's absolutely solid, takes pristine care of his gear, that KGSS looks new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back