Advice needed: Best non custom earphone option for RSA SR71B
Apr 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

attilahun

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently bought the SR71B and this is my first venture into balanced headphone world.

This is generally just for travel use so I'm not thinking large headphones.

I'm not using a balanced source yet, just ipod 160 lossless via line out port to single ended input.

While I'd love to get some JH audios, the budget isn't there yet.

I know ray sells a balanced cable that uses the JH/westone style two pronged plug.

What's my best non custom earphone option for this cable?

Westone 3?

My favorite home phones are the Grado RSs and a Raptor.

Appreciate all ideas and thoughts.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 7
If you're going to use a universal IEM with a balanced cable, you have to get one that has a user-replaceable cable (unless you're willing to have a recabler take out the stock cable and probably void your warranty).  You'll also need the aftermarket cable to be made for the IEM, since I believe most of the IEMs with user-replaceable cables have sockets that weren't made for the standard custom cable.  Custom cables will work with the Triple.fi (not a perfect fit though), and the only other IEMs I'm aware of with a user-replaceable cable are the IE8 (which I love and which Whiplash Audio offers a reasonable deal on if you buy a TWag cable with it) and the SE535.

My advice:  If you're able to spend around $400 (the cost of a top-tier universal), why not go for a custom in that price range?  The UE4 and JH5 get good reviews, and I think there are options from 1964 Ears, Unique Melody and other custom manufacturers in that range.

As a SR71b owner, I enjoy it but I wouldn't suggest building my rig around it.  I would start with the best headphones you can afford, then see if you even need an amp.  For IEMs (especially customs), the SR71b isn't an ideal match IMO because of the high gain (even on the lowest gain and volume) and trouble getting a comfortable low volume without channel imbalance.  It may be hard to imagine now, but one option to consider is selling the 71b, getting a pair of custom IEMs (if that's what you want), then going for an amp built for IEMs, like the Pico Slim or TTVJ Slim.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a set of th um3x's without the replaceable cable to use with my sr-71b and think it's a good matchup. Granted you don't have to turn the volume up much. I have mine at about 9 Or 10 o'clock without issues. Of course thats singled ended. Ask me tomorrow when I hook up a balanced set of es5's and I can tell you more

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Any thoughts on trying the beyerdynamic t50p with balanced cable?

I'm intrigued by the whiplash RSA balanced cable option.

Umx3 is tempting too. So easy to balance with plug and play cable.

Really want the jh 16 or 13s but have had some trouble with getting a good custom fit and hate to drop the cash with no refunds for bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back