AD700, HFI-680, DT990 - Why am I still not satisfied?
Mar 26, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #17 of 23
I have tried the 750's before, the main differences I remember was slightly more bass/refined bass and the highs being more refined and smoother on the 900', they were a bit harsher on the 750's

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
**I think what I'm looking for is something with the Sound Quality & Clarity of the DT990; the Airiness, Energy, & Aliveness of the ATH-AD700's; and well more tight hard accurate skull pounding bass than all of them.
L3000.gif

I think with the right source and burn in, the Denon D2000s have tight, very present bass. They also have sparkly highs (without sibilance) for clarity, and actually sound more like open headphones than closed from my experience. I haven't found the mids to be too recessed, but this might also be my sources (which tend to be ever so slightly aggressive and on the bright side).

Any sort of techno, electronica, etc. sound fantastic on them.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #19 of 23
Ok I'm gonna use the Essence as a DAC for now, and I just picked up the E9 online.  Will re-eval these sweet babies once the amp gets here.  buahahaha I'm excited. 
L3000.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #20 of 23
Wow what a difference
L3000.gif
  Gotta mess with this a bit since my ears are tuned to being an eq freak.  BIG BIG difference.  post more in a bit.

For starters I can clearly see the differences much better between each of the headphones.  The sound is much more full, MUCH more clean, MUCH more powerful, the Impact is much stronger, even my ATH-700's with the EQ are slamming some pretty hefty tight strong quality bass.

Gotta play with this a few, decide which phones I want to keep or if I want to sell them all for a much more expensive pair, lol.  I can see how this addiction starts. rofl.

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #21 of 23
Damn it's hard to pick a fav I like them all and their differences, I need one pair that has them all. 
L3000.gif
  Even the Ultrasone that I didn't like before, I like them now.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #22 of 23
question with the ultrasone 680... how is the clamping force on it?  I currently have Senn HD280 and they exert too much force, but i'm looking for a full size closed back that doesn't have the clamping that the 280's do.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #23 of 23
I was actually quite surprised at the comfort of them after seeing a lot of people complain about them.  Personally I find the HFI-680's very comfortable, the clamping isn't bad at all, and it does relieve some more pressure if you extended the headband all the way which I've done mainly because the way the drivers are targeted towards the bottom.    I guess it depends on skull size and what people are used to.  A measuring band around my skull from back to front is 23 inches if that helps.  I find these cans comfortable, my whole ears fit into them, the vinyl material feels nice, they are light, I can wear them for hours.  This is coming from a guy that is used to wearing ATH-AD700's and DT990's all day too.

Actually if I had to rate it, I would say the clamping is perfect.  Just my opinion though, I don't want to over-promote them to then get your expectations too high and then you find you don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back