AD700, HFI-680, DT990 - Why am I still not satisfied?
Mar 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
I have these 3 and I'm still not satisfied.   Don't get me wrong, they are each wonderful headphones.

Overall the sound of the ATH-AD700's pleases me the most as long as I use a 12dB 60hz boost.  The sound has good impact, depth, soundstage, airiness, clarity, very fun sounding, but something is still missing.

The DT990 has cleaner & better sound, but seem more on the laid back side and not as "fun, energetic" for my taste.

The HFI-680 sound in between the two but with closed sound, I learned I prefer open sound.

Source is a Xonar Essence STX running level 3 gain, which I plan on upgrading of course.  But, what gives?  Am I just expecting too much?  Or am I spoiled from expensive state of the art club systems?

My main music styles are aggressive dance/electronica/house/pop/female vocals/trance/ etc.  But I pretty much love most styles, rock, 80s, etc.

Recommend me some other headphones?  Or should I just get a better DAC/AMP first?

**I think what I'm looking for is something with the Sound Quality & Clarity of the DT990; the Airiness, Energy, & Aliveness of the ATH-AD700's; and well more tight hard accurate skull pounding bass than all of them.
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 23
Sounds like you bought headphones without research or you avoided advice. You obviously want more bass than the headphones you're listening to are providing. Why not look into Denon's? They have a more "fun" sound to them and sound great.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 23
I've done lots of research :)   Yes the Denon D2000 are on my list.  Maybe I shall try those next? 

What we read is subjective though since we all like sound differently so like most here, I just do my best to interpret what I can from guys with similar musical interests.

It's not so much more bass that I'm looking for, I can get good bass out of all of them with the EQ, but it's just something else is missing that I can't quite put my finger on and describe.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 23
ACtually I think you guys are right, I would like more bass now that I think about it, as long as the whole spectrum can keep up though.  I want bass that shakes me like the club does, with good vocal mids, and sparkling highs
L3000.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 23
For high impact bass you can't go past the Ultrasone Pro 900, I use them and love them. With enough burn in the whole spectrum of the Pro 900 will start to sound quite amazing

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 23
Thanks bro.  I think I'm looking more for open headphones.   Perhaps the 2400 or 2500. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 23
My thoughts exactly bro.  lol.  From the readings I had very high expectations.  The sound is yes VERY good, it's Super Clear, really clean, accurate, tight.  It's very very good.  But to me it just doesn't seem "alive".  I can crank on the eq and the volume and I just can't seem to "feel it".  Where as I'll then toss on my AD700's and I can feel the music instantly, but then it doesn't have the same quality as the DT990. 
I'm checkin out some DAC/AMPs, gotta try somethin new with these because this just don't seem right lol.

In saying that, I wonder if this is some sort of phenomenon.  Maybe the cheaper headphones produce some sort of distortion that if listened to long enough we train ourselves to like it.  As with slapping on the DT990's they are just so clean and so clear there is no "underlying layer" of faint background sound.  A possibility?  Or maybe I'm nuts.

I think I've narrowed down that I'm looking that are the product sound of both but with harder deeper bass than either.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 23
Xonar Essence STX  <--- here is your problem

Just the fact that STX makes sound not mean it can drive the headphone well
I found a decent DAC's built-in amplification much better than what STX has offer
besides, PCI-E really is not the best way to avoid interference

If you attempt to make your STX worth the buck, then swapping

I used to have STX as well, but now I swap to a Xonar DX and use it as a pure digital out device into my DAC then is feed into what I will recommend to you
Schiit Asgard
sub 300$ just for an amp is crazy, well, all amplifiers are crazy, but it does give the power for most of your headphone

BeyerDynamic, many people are having hard time with it. Especially DT990
many people just rush to buy it, without realize how hard it is to even drive it properly. The money invest into drive BeyerDynamic properly can buy
any other set of system which gives you very similar sound, and still have some money left.

and please do not tell me your DT990 is 32omh version

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:

I found a decent DAC's built-in amplification much better than what STX has offer

I used to have STX as well, but now I swap to a Xonar DX and use it as a pure digital out device into my DAC then is feed into what I will recommend to you
Schiit Asgard
sub 300$ just for an amp is crazy, well, all amplifiers are crazy, but it does give the power for most of your headphone

many people just rush to buy it, without realize how hard it is to even drive it properly. The money invest into drive BeyerDynamic properly can buy
any other set of system which gives you very similar sound, and still have some money left.

You could have saved your $$$$ and bought a dedicated headphone amp and use your STX as DAC. The STX as DAC is very good.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 23
No worries, I am still not satisfied with the 3 heaphones stated in my signature block. 
beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:

Schiit Asgard

This is music to my ears :D   I would be happy find out that I have yet to unleash the beast in the Beyer's because of the 3 they are definitely my favorite in terms of clear sound, build quality, size, and comfort.  The Asgard looks like a great amp, do you guys think I should just use my Essence as a DAC and then get an amp like that?  Or get a combo DAC/AMP?  I was just stumbled upon the Aune MKII.  I like the idea of being able to roll op amps for sure, in whatever is chosen.

Ah yes, the DT990 I have are 250ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back