AD 900 vs. DT 880 vs. AKG 550...which would you put on your head (and mine)?
Sep 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

henrygb

New Head-Fier
Could someone please give me some guidance on how these models compare soundwise and which you think would best suit my needs? 

DT 880 32 ohms
AD 900
AKG 550
Q701 (I've heard these are difficult to drive)

I'll be driving the headphones primarily through my iphone 4 and macbook. I don't have an amp, but might try to find a deal on a Fiio 17 or just pick up a Fiio 6.

Music preferences: I listen to a lot of acoustic music (folk, bluegrass, classical, jazz), but also a good deal of indie rock and punk so I do need a decent low end.  

I will be using these headphones at home and on the go, so they need to be somewhat portable (comfortable with as little bulk as possible).

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 11
32 Ohm DT 880 isn't really worth it, but think about the 250 Ohm version with a good entry amp if you're also thinking about the Q701. They are for monitoring however, so it may seem like you are only analyzing the music.

AD900 is easy to drive, but is not really awesomely good in sound. They, although a bit smaller than the AD700, are still HUUUGE, although possible to transport. I brought a AD700 out for fun, and nothing too bad happened.

I don't know much about the K550, but apparantly they're essentially a closed backed Q701 with moar of dat bass. Apparantly they're also easy to drive, if you trust product descriptions. They fold up, too.

Q701 is hard to drive, and its sound signature can be either loved or hated, but the Fiio E9 and the Little Dot amps might drive it and are good for the price.

Have you seen the DT 860? It seems easy to drive and it also folds up. The HD 558/598 may also be worth checking out.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Could someone please give me some guidance on how these models compare sound wise and which you think would best suit my needs? 
DT 880 32 ohms
AD 900
AKG 550
Q701 (I've heard these are difficult to drive)
I'll be driving the headphones primarily through my iPhone 4 and Macbook. I don't have an amp, but might try to find a deal on a Fiio 17 or just pick up a Fiio 6.
Music preferences: I listen to a lot of acoustic music (folk, bluegrass, classical, jazz), but also a good deal of indie rock and punk so I do need a decent low end.  
I will be using these headphones at home and on the go, so they need to be somewhat portable (comfortable with as little bulk as possible).

As your looking for something to be used on the go. You really need transportable and closed headphones.
How about Sony MDR-V6 with Beyerdynamic EDT 200/250 V Velour ear pads, total should be under $100.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Heya,

Beyer DT770
Brainwavz HM5
Denon D2000 (used)

With a Fiio E7 (should be able to get a used one on the cheap since everyone is trying to go after the new E17).

Very best,

Hey,
Thanks for the recommendations. Which DT 770 would you recommend? Pro? M? 250 or 80 ohms?
Is this a smaller headphone than the 880, 990, and 860? I'm just curious why the 770 over these other models...

I don't know anything about the HM5, but I've heard great things about the D2000.

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
32 Ohm DT 880 isn't really worth it, but think about the 250 Ohm version with a good entry amp if you're also thinking about the Q701. They are for monitoring however, so it may seem like you are only analyzing the music.

Q701 is hard to drive, and its sound signature can be either loved or hated, but the Fiio E9 and the Little Dot amps might drive it and are good for the price.
Have you seen the DT 860? It seems easy to drive and it also folds up. The HD 558/598 may also be worth checking out.

Are you saying the Q701 or DT 880 is for monitoring? I'm definitely not interested in "analyzing" my music. I will be listening strictly for enjoyment!

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Hey,
Thanks for the recommendations. Which DT 770 would you recommend? Pro? M? 250 or 80 ohms?
Is this a smaller headphone than the 880, 990, and 860? I'm just curious why the 770 over these other models...

I don't know anything about the HM5, but I've heard great things about the D2000.

Thanks!

Heya,

DT770 PRO 80ohm. Or If you can find the premium DT770 32ohm go for that even.

Suggested those over open/semi-open headphones because you mentioned using them on the go, with an iPhone and mobile computer, so passive isolation is a nice thing to have there. If you do not need isolation what so ever, consider the DT880 if you want neutral, DT990 if you want more bass.

The HM5 is neutral, big cups, good isolation, great overall flat sound that you can tweak to your liking.
The D2000 is similar to that, with a little more luxury in the pads and cable, and better sub-bass, and a touch of sparkle in the treble.

Very best,

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Hey,
Would you definitely recommend the DT 770 80 ohm over the AKG 550? Not sure if you have any experience with the AKGs. The beyers are significantly cheaper, but I have read some really great reviews about the 550s. Just wanted to throw it out there. Right now I'm trying to decide between the two! Thanks, man.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

DT770 PRO 80ohm. Or If you can find the premium DT770 32ohm go for that even.

Suggested those over open/semi-open headphones because you mentioned using them on the go, with an iPhone and mobile computer, so passive isolation is a nice thing to have there. If you do not need isolation what so ever, consider the DT880 if you want neutral, DT990 if you want more bass.

The HM5 is neutral, big cups, good isolation, great overall flat sound that you can tweak to your liking.
The D2000 is similar to that, with a little more luxury in the pads and cable, and better sub-bass, and a touch of sparkle in the treble.

Very best,

Hey,
Would you definitely recommend the DT 770 80 ohm over the AKG 550? Not sure if you have any experience with the AKGs. The beyers are significantly cheaper, but I have read some really great reviews about the 550s. Just wanted to throw it out there. Right now I'm trying to decide between the two! Thanks, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back