ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Jul 10, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #586 of 1,234
Could be, if I ever get to keep them more than a few weeks I'll be able to know myself. Now, back to acs.

I've tried a lot of universals lately and it's made me realise that a slightly less than perfect fitting custom is a hundred times better than messing around with foam tips. I'm actually beginning to wonder whether my fit issues were just a figment of my imagination.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #587 of 1,234
Unfortunately, fit hasn't been the only issue. Had one set rebuilt already, sounded bad, replacement set has channel imbalance, went back this week (at this point, I would have just lived with not perfect fit).

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #588 of 1,234
I've tried a lot of universals lately and it's made me realise that a slightly less than perfect fitting custom is a hundred times better than messing around with foam tips. I'm actually beginning to wonder whether my fit issues were just a figment of my imagination.

Tony been reading your fit issues. Have you had an external opinion from an audiologist or the ciem manufacturer look at the fit

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #589 of 1,234

As I said in a pm custom's are a two edged sword.  Pita to get right for some, but once tried you can't really go back to universals :frowning2:

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #590 of 1,234
I feel for you guys. If ACS weren't so nice I would be annoyed.
The main reason for choosing these over a K10 or something like that was the turnaround time. But I'll be lucky if I get them back from repair within 10 weeks of sending in impressions.

ACS has a lot to do if I'm to be as happy as some of the people on here.

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #591 of 1,234

I don't know if anyone else offers this, but Cosmic Ears' pre-fit service, where they send you the moulds before adding the drivers seems like a great idea. Obviously it doesn't apply to silicone CIEMs. Even if you had to go back and forth a few times it might be much easier than working on finished CIEM. Cheaper to ship too because of low value.

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #592 of 1,234
I don't know if anyone else offers this, but Cosmic Ears' pre-fit service, where they send you the moulds before adding the drivers seems like a great idea. Obviously it doesn't apply to silicone CIEMs. Even if you had to go back and forth a few times it might be much easier than working on finished CIEM. Cheaper to ship too because of low value.

It was actually largely because of mine and another user's experience with acrylic (better but still not perfect) that led to this service being introduced :p

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #593 of 1,234
Tony been reading your fit issues. Have you had an external opinion from an audiologist or the ciem manufacturer look at the fit

When I had the left hand side remade I showed it to the audiologist and she made sure that the impressions she took were as deep as possible. It still doesn't fit into place as easily as the right hand side but more and more these days I'm getting a consistent seal and have little to complain about. When I get back from travelling I'll probably send them to ACS so they can address the problem of the inaccessible socket which others seem to be experiencing too.

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #594 of 1,234
I also have the inaccessible socket, didn't even realize it was a problem until I read about it here and AJ at acs told me to see if my cables needed to be tightened, and I realized there was nothing to grab and hold on to, wouldn't be able to ever change cables either. I have to say they've been great in the service, in making new feel that they want to get it right and have me be a satisfied customer, have sent me shipping labels, taken molds 3 times now I believe. Now, hoping we'll soon actually have then sign, if not perfect, at least good enough...

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #595 of 1,234
I also have the inaccessible socket, didn't even realize it was a problem until I read about it here and AJ at acs told me to see if my cables needed to be tightened, and I realized there was nothing to grab and hold on to, wouldn't be able to ever change cables either. I have to say they've been great in the service, in making new feel that they want to get it right and have me be a satisfied customer, have sent me shipping labels, taken molds 3 times now I believe. Now, hoping we'll soon actually have then sign, if not perfect, at least good enough...

It's a shame they come with the Linum cable as standard. As far as I'm aware there are no other manufacturers who make cables with the T2 connector. I've read a few times that they degrade the sound and they certainly tangle like mad.

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #596 of 1,234
It's a shame they come with the Linum cable as standard. As far as I'm aware there are no other manufacturers who make cables with the T2 connector. I've read a few times that they degrade the sound and they certainly tangle like mad.

wow thats certainly disappointing to hear, is it true it degrades sound?

Headfonia seems to like em:

http://www.headfonia.com/review-linum-cables/

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #597 of 1,234

Cosmic Ears did until recently make a thing about the t2 being a better connection.  However it now looks like they have gone back to the trusty old two pin connection as well due to a few faults being reported.  I hear you on the tangle factor though as it's a right pita when I'm using them at work.  The trick is to slide the cinch up to the ciems and then coil the rest of the cable.  Should help improve it a bit.

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #598 of 1,234
The tangle is a problem, as well as winding them to put them back in the case. And, they may be hardy, don't know, but they FEEL like a sneeze might shred them!

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #599 of 1,234
That's not ACS though, it is Linum who make the cables. Linum recently became a sponsor and said they were looking into the whole tangling thing. What Linum cannot do is go too far the other way and make cables too springy that they cannot be wrapped into a storage case

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #600 of 1,234
True, but since acs adopted it as the standard, and there aren't other options to use. Might as well be acs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back