ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Jul 3, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #571 of 1,234
I've also found it I'd very sensitive to the tiniest bit of "stuff" in the tiny sound holes, cleaning changes things dramatically. And, when I first got them, they really were muddy, contacted AJ in Manhattan, they sent it back for rebuilding. Don't think they've got their quality control on this new 5 driver unit quite down. You may have to send it back. (started with the T1, been back and forth with them since black Friday, May still have to send them back yet again....)

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #572 of 1,234
Been considering buying Tony's Acs's from him but numerous factor's have cropped up making that impossible (for me).  Got me thinking though.  How good is the isolation (which is the real reason I'm interested in c/iems in the first place) of silicone?  I tend to do my listening at work which is a very noisy area.  Also how good are the encore's for rock and metal specifically?

Thanks

There's a site I can't remember (I don't think it's Headfonia) that has a CIEM/IEM comparison chart and one of the categories is isolation. It varies. One factor is the depth of the ear canal. But this can affect comfort. Cosmic Ears offers a choice between "comfortable" and "maximum". Some also say silicone is better than acrylic, but I think that would be difficult to confirm without identical shells. And deep insertion universals like ER4 can be just as good if not better.

My own Encore story is less exciting: I sat next to a crying baby on the Tube and could barely hear it without music, and not at all with music even at low volume.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #573 of 1,234
I just mowed the lawn with the Encores...usually I use Ety 4s, my isolation leader up to now. I'd say it was even quieter with the Encore, but not 100%, slight rumble still noted, but music during mowing best I've heard yet.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #574 of 1,234
I've also found it I'd very sensitive to the tiniest bit of "stuff" in the tiny sound holes, cleaning changes things dramatically. And, when I first got them, they really were muddy, contacted AJ in Manhattan, they sent it back for rebuilding. Don't think they've got their quality control on this new 5 driver unit quite down. You may have to send it back. (started with the T1, been back and forth with them since black Friday, May still have to send them back yet again....)

Thanks.
Can they test it?
I'll be dealing with the UK office.
It's very important that these work optimally, since they have very low resale prospects.

It's fine for a lot of what I listen to, but at other times lows are very prominent and make for a thick muddiness that overpowers everything else. I really noticed it when I listened to some arias for soprano, which just sounded muddy and closed, yet much better from other headphones.
My bores are clean.

Any test music you would suggest?

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #575 of 1,234
By twist towards earlobe, do you mean anticlockwise, taking the cable plug as 1200?

I'm trying and will try some more, but my fit seems good and I thought it was the tuning. I can twist them to make the fit bad and extremely muddy.

The source is good (ZX2 with no EQ, 24/96) and this holds up to comparison with universals and over ears.

Clockwise. Pull the top of your ears, turn them as near to your earlobes as possible and push at the bottom of the earpiece. It works for me but it's a pain in the arse. When they're in properly you should feel them sitting nicely in the conchal bowl.

Where are Zenpunk and Soundblast? Maybe they could chime in.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #576 of 1,234
Not sure, these are funny birds. 2 nights ago I swear there was a channel imbalance and terribly muddy sound from my Pono. The muffins was different with different players, less through better gear, but the channel imbalance remained (I listened to a high rez file off Louis and Ella which sounds great and is in mono...the right wad consistently quieter). I emailed AJ at the NY office, he asked me to send pictures, which I did (don't think they're in today, we're celebrating our ingratitude to you Brits, you know...). Didn't notice that imbalance today, but I haven't done the mono comparison yet. (Keith Jarret's recent solo concert was on, though, which should show up on a solo piano recording as well...I'm puzzled). As for testing, if they can do it in New York (and they did, and sent mine back for a rebuild), I'm sure the London home base can test too. And, the one thing I am picking up from AJ is, they really do want you to be happy. If I'm not pleased with the sound, they'll send me shipping labels to send them back to them again.

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #577 of 1,234
Well mine are due to go back in because of a sunken socket anyway, so I think I'll see if I can compare them to a demo/universal Encore at their London office, which is only a few minutes away away from where I work.

Initially I was pleased with the sound but I don't know if something has changed or if I listened only to music where this wouldn't be noticeable.

I'll try what you've suggested later.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #578 of 1,234
Well mine are due to go back in because of a sunken socket anyway, so I think I'll see if I can compare them to a demo/universal Encore at their London office, which is only a few minutes away away from where I work.

Initially I was pleased with the sound but I don't know if something has changed or if I listened only to music where this wouldn't be noticeable.

I'll try what you've suggested later.

From the side of the shell where the cable connector lies, push the body of the shell towards the back of your head so that the tube is as deeply inserted as possible. If the sound improves then apparently the canals are too short.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #579 of 1,234
Sunken socket...do you mean the connector is inside the body/shell? Mine is like that this time around, I tried to tighten the cable, but there's nothing to hold on to. I think mine are going back as well.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #581 of 1,234
It wasn't until I heard a channel imbalance and AJ @ acs suggested I try to tighten the cable...

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #582 of 1,234
Sunken socket...do you mean the connector is inside the body/shell? Mine is like that this time around, I tried to tighten the cable, but there's nothing to hold on to. I think mine are going back as well.

It wasn't until I heard a channel imbalance and AJ @ acs suggested I try to tighten the cable...

One of mine is like that too. I never considered it a problem.

Yes, one of the connectors goes all the way in.

They themselves noted that it's a problem because otherwise you're pulling the cable. For me the fact that it was inconsistent was the main annoyance.

My earpiece with the sunken socket cut out earlier, as I put it in to my ear.

They're immaculately clean and I've tried reinserting the cable, but still nothing from that one.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #583 of 1,234
Spent the last three days listening to the Noble 6 and although they're brilliant, they lack something the Encore has: timbre, tone, emotiveness. Although the N6 pull ahead in some respects, they can't match the Encore for pure enjoyment.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #584 of 1,234
Spent the last three days listening to the Noble 6 and although they're brilliant, they lack something the Encore has: timbre, tone, emotiveness. Although the N6 pull ahead in some respects, they can't match the Encore for pure enjoyment.

Still gutted acs don't do reshells.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #585 of 1,234
Could be, if I ever get to keep them more than a few weeks I'll be able to know myself. Now, back to acs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back