ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Jun 8, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #541 of 1,234
I think I said something wrong. Encore is not veiled.

Think of it as the organic and rich but clear sound of a tube amp.
Now this becomes interesting! I start to have a better feel on how it may sound.

I have got another query, the Encore probably has little resale value, as I understand it cannot be reshelled? Not sure if I'm right?

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #542 of 1,234
Now this becomes interesting! I start to have a better feel on how it may sound.

I have got another query, the Encore probably has little resale value, as I understand it cannot be reshelled? Not sure if I'm right?

Can't say as I don't own one but I do know that customart offers silicon reshelling services.

Can't answer your amp question as the custom I tried, I tried solely with my amp and not purely dap. Sorry.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #543 of 1,234
To me Encore are not veiled, that's what offer this excellent depth focus. But for other, especially a good friend who knows well high end IEM/CIEM, the Encore are veiled and muddy. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #545 of 1,234
To me Encore are not veiled, that's what offer this excellent depth focus. But for other, especially a good friend who knows well high end IEM/CIEM, the Encore are veiled and muddy. 
Ok, this confuses me a bit again, lol. But to be honest I have a feeling I may consider Encore to be a bit veiled from the descriptions given so far.

Demo seems to be the only way to clarify my thoughts.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #546 of 1,234

They can be reshelled but if it's done by a third party then the cable may have to be changed. ACS can do it themselves but it's pretty expensive.

I finally worked out how to get a proper seal on the LHS. Turns out they fit nicely but require quite a bit of twisting to get there. I've found the fit difficult at times and was intending to sell them because of this. However, I had a great few hours with them last night and once that fit is achieved they are marvellous.

lookingforIEMs description of the sound is pretty accurate. They are warm sounding but don't mistake that for veiled - they're not at all. There is a boost in the mid bass but mid-range is fantastically clear without being too far forward. Treble is reigned in but never really lacking. They have a lovely, rich timbre and great soundstage. For me, they manage to sound warm and crystal clear simultaneously. It's quite a unique sound and strangely enough I find that it matches well with most music.

They sound great out of a smartphone and do not require an amp. However I use an amp and found, when I'm forced to do without it, that dynamics, instrument separation and soundstage depth are a bit lacking (by comparison). It's probably something you'd notice more after weeks of using an amp and then doing without.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #548 of 1,234
If you are not happy shoot acs an e-mail, sure they will put them right for you if there's a problem.  How's the fit other wise?

Also how long is the turn around time at the moment for acs?

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #549 of 1,234
3 weeks,
If you are not happy shoot acs an e-mail, sure they will put them right for you if there's a problem.  How's the fit other wise?

Also how long is the turn around time at the moment for acs?

3 weeks for me, but that's longer than usual because they're very busy (festival season) and it's the summer holidays for some.

Fit and sound are both really good.

I'll be sending them back next week, hopefully. They said the gold connector should definitely be visible because you'd need to hold it to remove the cable (to avoid pulling on the cable).

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #550 of 1,234
Got my rebuilt ones recently, still trying to get a handle on them...doesn't help that too many toys, some ordered months ago, have arrived at the same time...HE-1000 and MicroZOTL). Used the Pono last night, sounded a bit cloudy. Went line out from the Pono to the ZOTL, changed to high resolution version of the Dead's American Beauty, sounds great (bit of hiss/hum when no music on, but didn't bother me with the music playing). Still a bit of four problem with my mutant left ear. Get a good deal, but uncomfortable though, but not terrible. Sometimes makes me want to change to the Zen buds, which sound really nice and don't need you to stick anything in the canal. Makes me think they are more fussy than I thought, hard to drive, fussy/revealing of the signal fed them.

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #551 of 1,234
Been listening a bit more (when I can pull the HE-1000 off my head, which is basically when I go to sleep, NOBODY can fall asleep in those (and I've fallen asleep with the HE-560's). Still a tiny bit of hum with the MicroZOTL, not enough to be disturbing, don't hear it when the music is playing. And, have to see, the sound on these things is really fine. Good detail, instruments have nice body, air around/between instruments great. Still some problems with fit and discomfort in my mutant left ear, but not as bad, getting better at the insertion. I think this may work out after all...

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #552 of 1,234
Still a tiny bit of hum with the MicroZOTL, not enough to be disturbingdiv>

Hi David,
I hope I can be of some possible help here.... I have had a look at the MicroZOTL (it looks great by the way). I can see it's quite powerful, and I can also see it's mains driven through DC. I'm thinking that the Encore's being so sensitive is what's causing the humming you're hearing. The same thing happems through my HPA 200 SE Head Amp.
I can do nothing re the hum on my head amp as it's AC mains only.
However because you have 12V DC you can try a power pack which should reduce the hum which I reckon is almost certainly coming from your mains adapter.
I have a power pack running my Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and it is super silent through the Encores.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #553 of 1,234
Could be, I have it connected to an isolator, which I don't recall, but it is for Music and Home theater applications (can check the make at home), so I'm not plugged directly into the wall. Shouldn't that take care of it?

Still a tiny bit of hum with the MicroZOTL, not enough to be disturbingdiv>

Hi David,
I hope I can be of some possible help here.... I have had a look at the MicroZOTL (it looks great by the way). I can see it's quite powerful, and I can also see it's mains driven through DC. I'm thinking that the Encore's being so sensitive is what's causing the humming you're hearing. The same thing happems through my HPA 200 SE Head Amp.
I can do nothing re the hum on my head amp as it's AC mains only.
However because you have 12V DC you can try a power pack which should reduce the hum which I reckon is almost certainly coming from your mains adapter.
I have a power pack running my Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and it is super silent through the Encores.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #555 of 1,234
That's true, and I do just plug it into my Pono sometimes. But, I'm currently obsessed with the MicorZOTL, HE-1000, and, to a slightly lesser extent, the Encore and the VE Zen, want to review the ZOTL and the Zen, and have quite a busy work schedule (the real gig), which leaves me limited headphone/music time, so I try to get in as much simultaneously as I can, if that makes any sense. Do love the Pono, btw...would be nice if a balanced cable were readily available for the Encore/Pono (and not cost me yet another arm and a leg), so I could listen to the Pono with a balanced Encore, which the Pono folks say is MUCH better than single ended (I am getting a Pono balanced cable for the HE-1000, so I'll get to test it out finally). (Since I got the Pono, I hardly use the DX90...think I pulled it out once when the Pono ran out of battery. That's me...some folks do like the DX90 better, I think the Pono is one of the best bargains in audio out there right now, especially if you can find it at the sale prices I've seen sometimes of $249 or $299).

Why not just use your Pono or DX90? Surely that thing's a bit OTT :D

(Oh, feel very out of it asking this, but what is OTT...never mild, I googled it, OF COURSE IT'S OTT, that's the name of the game!!!!!) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back