ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Jun 5, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #526 of 1,234
  So to dip my toe in the water of ACS I've gone and ordered the universal evoke ( I know this is the encore thread, doesn't seem to be much traction on the universal).  If I like the sound of that I may end up going to acs for bigger things :p

I've both and the Evoke is soooooooo far from the Encore, seems like the Evoke has no bass, sounds thin and without dynamic ^^ but it's just comparatively 

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #529 of 1,234
I've both and the Evoke is soooooooo far from the Encore, seems like the Evoke has no bass, sounds thin and without dynamic ^^ but it's just comparatively 

Andy, the man who owns ACS, prefers the sound of the Evokes and he told me that before he knew which CIEM. He feels that the sound is more accurate for the music he likes. I'm afraid I don't know what music he listens to predominantly

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #530 of 1,234
Been having trouble getting a decent fit with the evoke's.  They only come with comply.  Anyone know what type of tips would fit as an alternative?   I guess I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what.  Get very little isolation or bass on any of the three size tips.

Thanks

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #531 of 1,234
Are the universals the same as the demo units? If yes, then Sony hybrids should fit, with some effort. Likewise SpinFit and any tips with a similarly sized nozzle (Audio-Technica models, some Sennheiser models). Quite tight though, which is good later but makes it a challenge to get them on.
I coincidentally had my box of tips with me when I went for a demo and used my own so they wouldn't waste a pair..

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #533 of 1,234
David, another suggestion is to send them back and ask them for the evokes as customs. I can assure you I heard bass and isolation with 2 seconds of work on the universals so a custom pair will be a problem solver for you

Heh, thanks but I'll wait.  Got a pair of music ones back soon from a refit which will be a daily use :p  These were just something in the mean time really.

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #534 of 1,234
Hi All I'm in the process of finding myself a pair of CIEM. Currently I'm using a pair of Etymotic ER4S driven by an Ibasso DX90. I like the clean flat analytical sound despite the highs can be a bit hard at times. Bass out is fine by me, could be just a touch more. Bases on my preference, do you think the Encore will be a nice upgrade? Moreover does it benefit much from a dedicated portable amp? Can the DX90 drive them sufficiently well? Many thanks!

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #535 of 1,234
Hi All I'm in the process of finding myself a pair of CIEM. Currently I'm using a pair of Etymotic ER4S driven by an Ibasso DX90. I like the clean flat analytical sound despite the highs can be a bit hard at times. Bass out is fine by me, could be just a touch more. Bases on my preference, do you think the Encore will be a nice upgrade? Moreover does it benefit much from a dedicated portable amp? Can the DX90 drive them sufficiently well? Many thanks!

Encore has a diff type of sound. It's a rich organic sound that I find very relaxing yet emotional at the same time. If you're looking for clean and analytical sound, you might want to look elsewhere. But it will complement very nicely with your er4

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #536 of 1,234
Encore has a diff type of sound. It's a rich organic sound that I find very relaxing yet emotional at the same time. If you're looking for clean and analytical sound, you might want to look elsewhere. But it will complement very nicely with your er4
thank you for your reply! How would you describe the warm organic sound? A bit like Shure or Sennheiser HD6xx? I find them dark with recessed highs from my own point of view. Is the whole frequency spectrum still fairly flat but with some warmth added instead?

The main reason why Encore caught my attention is that from reading this thread, there were other members referring it to ER4,and most importantly the PMC speakers, which I absolutely love!

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #537 of 1,234
Hi ! The ER4p is a very old reference in terms of sound performance and the Encore is clearly one of the most advanced sound tuning using balanced armatures transducers. You'll not listen music like with the ER4p. If you're looking for a flat and analytic IEM it's not the good one. But, if you're looking for a powerful sound, thick and great imaging, much better in terms performance than a HD6X0, it's the one.

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #538 of 1,234
thank you for your reply! How would you describe the warm organic sound? A bit like Shure or Sennheiser HD6xx? I find them dark with recessed highs from my own point of view. Is the whole frequency spectrum still fairly flat but with some warmth added instead?

The main reason why Encore caught my attention is that from reading this thread, there were other members referring it to ER4,and most importantly the PMC speakers, which I absolutely love!

Erm... The hd650 I owned was definitely on the dark side but encore isn't as dark. Encore is also more organic but at the same time less lush, and hence less veiled, which makes it more realistic ( as IMO the hd650 was a bit veiled to sound as organic as I'd like ) ... I'd love to own one as a compliment to my current combi haha... but alas the funds have always evaded me...

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #539 of 1,234
Erm... The hd650 I owned was definitely on the dark side but encore isn't as dark. Encore is also more organic but at the same time less lush, and hence less veiled, which makes it more realistic ( as IMO the hd650 was a bit veiled to sound as organic as I'd like ) ... I'd love to own one as a compliment to my current combi haha... but alas the funds have always evaded me...
If the Encore has a similar veiled dark signature as the HD650 then I will definitely look elsewhere! It's way too muddy for my liking.

Sounds like I need a demo somewhere to make sure it is my cup of tea.

How much does the Encore benefit from proper amping?

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #540 of 1,234
If the Encore has a similar veiled dark signature as the HD650 then I will definitely look elsewhere! It's way too muddy for my liking.

Sounds like I need a demo somewhere to make sure it is my cup of tea.

How much does the Encore benefit from proper amping?

I think I said something wrong. Encore is not veiled.

Think of it as the organic and rich but clear sound of a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back