Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jun 10, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,486 of 2,999
Monk Plus - This was the product that compelled me to investigate earbuds, after only purchasing headphones and IEMs. Great highs and vocals, but I prefer a tad more bass. I still buy the limited edition offerings though, and have to admire how Lee pioneered audiophile quality earbuds at a bargain price.

I think the original Monk is all you need with a bit more bass while retaining the rest. But we are very unfortunate that Lee decided to stop producing them.

I still have 3 og Monk :)

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #1,487 of 2,999
Received the infamous Vido today. Very impressed with the bass on these buds, especially for the price. Unfortunately, my order was short: I had ordered quantity 2 of the Vido and 2 Qian39s, and only received one of each. :triportsad: Hopefully the seller will grant a refund for the missing items so I can order backups. Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with NiceHCK's customer service?

Of the buds I have, here are my rankings. Your results will certainly vary. :smile_phones:

Musicmaker MrZ Tomahawk - Maybe this should not be in a "budget" list, but they are my favorite. Good soundstage and separation, and sounds good with all genres. The faux diamonds are cool. The shells and cable are heavy though, making fit a problem when doing something.
Qian39 - My budget favorite. Sounds great with all genres.
Boarseman MX98s - Their pricepoint is between the Tomahawk and the Qian39, as is their performance. Qian39 is ranked higher because of its better bang/buck ratio.
Vido - Powerful bass for buds. Great for hip hop and rock. A tad too bright on the top end with certain pop songs (I am sensitive to treble).
Monk Plus - This was the product that compelled me to investigate earbuds, after only purchasing headphones and IEMs. Great highs and vocals, but I prefer a tad more bass. I still buy the limited edition offerings though, and have to admire how Lee pioneered audiophile quality earbuds at a bargain price.
Qian25 - Okay, but too harsh on the highs compared to the 39s.
Boarseman MX98 - Spend the extra $ for the MX98s.
TY HiZ 30 Ohm - Really disappointed in these after reading so many good things....... highs are way too harsh for my ears. Can't listen to them.

U should try @ozkan's mod on the Vido!

Edit: Too bad the op of this thread is not active anymore, otherwise we could have sticked some useful posts on the first page.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #1,488 of 2,999
U should try @ozkan's mod on the Vido!

Edit: Too bad the op of this thread is not active anymore, otherwise we could have sticked some useful posts on the first page.

Oh really? Does it work on Vido as well? Gonna try soon. :)

Jun 11, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #1,489 of 2,999
Oh really? Does it work on Vido as well? Gonna try soon. :)
Hmm i remb someone posted abt it though it didnt really changed the soubd for me.

But it doesnt hurt to try though xD

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,491 of 2,999
Jun 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #1,493 of 2,999
I just spent a week on the beach in Mexico with the Vido and Benjie S5. Great combo especially for the price. 7 days of use 3-5 hours each day on one charge.

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #1,494 of 2,999
My "Philips" SHE3800 from fasttech absolutely and undeniably say "PHILPS" (note the missing I) on the earbuds themselves, I just checked again with a loupe.
I mean we all know these are not genuine, but I am just puzzled because pictures of these on the net all say "PHILIPS". Makes me wonder whether there are different companies fak..uhm I mean making these, with differences in quality. Mine are really poor. Both are now making a horrible noise and are basically trash, after very little use.

Jun 11, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #1,495 of 2,999
IMG_20170611_172347.jpg

Jun 11, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,496 of 2,999
My "Philips" SHE3800 from fasttech absolutely and undeniably say "PHILPS" (note the missing I) on the earbuds themselves, I just checked again with a loupe.
I mean we all know these are not genuine, but I am just puzzled because pictures of these on the net all say "PHILIPS". Makes me wonder whether there are different companies fak..uhm I mean making these, with differences in quality. Mine are really poor. Both are now making a horrible noise and are basically trash, after very little use.
It has problems with QQ, so I always try to take a few pairs to compare and select the best, a good pair sounds very good so far..
P70612-055512.jpg

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #1,497 of 2,999
Ahhhh, the elusive original Monk...... (sigh).......

Will def try the mod on the Monk Plus...... Not sure about the Vido, wouldn't it increase the bass even more?
From my experience it makes the mids more defined and it lessens the treble sharpness. No harm trying since its a very easy mod and its also easy to remove :wink:

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #1,499 of 2,999
@flexy321 bought 2 pairs from Fasttech and they are both labelled 'Philips' (I have 3 more pairs coming soon). I'm as enamoured as you are with these SHE3800. Didn't believe the hype last year (since I had the original Edifier H180) but finally ordered some few months back (out of curiosity). These are my favorite buds now (totally non-fatiguing sound and super comfortable) even though they can lack details (i counter this somewhat with six-holed custom punched foams).

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #1,500 of 2,999
@flexy321 bought 2 pairs from Fasttech and they are both labelled 'Philips' (I have 3 more pairs coming soon). I'm as enamoured as you are with these SHE3800. Didn't believe the hype last year (since I had the original Edifier H180) but finally ordered some few months back (out of curiosity). These are my favorite buds now (totally non-fatiguing sound and super comfortable) even though they can lack details (i counter this somewhat with six-holed custom punched foams).

Yes it says "Philips" on the bag but definitely "PHILPS" on the buds themselves. I checked all my 4 buds. My foam inside was also glued on the shell, and not (as I see on other pics) on the back of the drivers. I really suspect there are several types out there, for some reason I got the "bad" ones. (I got these from FT about 3 weeks ago). I mean they were very good as long as they lasted, but just the slightest "testing" eg. with some deep bass made the membranes "jump out" and broke them.

PS the "Edifier H180" look 100% identical...are they actually different?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back