Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,471 of 2,999
Golov can those foam covers be purchased separately? Thanks.
S70609-061604.jpg

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,472 of 2,999
I kinda agree with u on this. Usually our ears get used to a sound sig of a bud and when u listen to another, u can find their flaws easily, or rather u can spot what u werent used to easily.

Like for me, recently my ears are used to the Vido and when i switched over to the Qian39, i did notice the muffleness that u've mentioned. But once i gave myself a brain burn in, the Qian sounds absolutely delicious. I think part of the reason why the Qian sounds muffled is probably due to the massive amounts of bass. I'm guessing the spectrum of sound tips towards the lower side.

Correct me if i'm wrong but is the EMX500 slightly bassy too? I have been holding out my bud purchases ever since i gotten the the K300 and Yinman64 as i was kinda disappointed with them.

Sure, the EMX500 has bass! I love if for that. But its not "Beats" bass, to my ears it is very lean. I remember a review that mentioned "the centre of the bass" or something like that. I like that term. I think the EMX500 has a very low centre of bass compared to others, and also a little peak in the treble maybe (as opposed to those that have a peak in the mids), that makes it very extended and large sounding. I like it with classical also, its a very clean sound to me. If you like clean sound I think you will like it, even though it has some bass :) Also, I seems to me the bass has settled down and become quite natural, but I'm waiting for another pair so I can compare better. They are by far my current favourite, I don't know what I would like to change about them. It also seems there is nothing with this signature to upgrade to, which I guess by definition makes them TOTL :ksc75smile:

The Vido I would say has a higher centre of bass, and it has more of it. I haven't A/B'ed, but I would think Vido has more bass than EMX between for example 100-200Hz.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #1,475 of 2,999
Sure, the EMX500 has bass! I love if for that. But its not "Beats" bass, to my ears it is very lean. I remember a review that mentioned "the centre of the bass" or something like that. I like that term. I think the EMX500 has a very low centre of bass compared to others, and also a little peak in the treble maybe (as opposed to those that have a peak in the mids), that makes it very extended and large sounding. I like it with classical also, its a very clean sound to me. If you like clean sound I think you will like it, even though it has some bass :) Also, I seems to me the bass has settled down and become quite natural, but I'm waiting for another pair so I can compare better. They are by far my current favourite, I don't know what I would like to change about them. It also seems there is nothing with this signature to upgrade to, which I guess by definition makes them TOTL :ksc75smile:

The Vido I would say has a higher centre of bass, and it has more of it. I haven't A/B'ed, but I would think Vido has more bass than EMX between for example 100-200Hz.
I have the exact sentiments for my white Vido. Nothing much i can expect to upgrade lol.

Sounds like a very extended soundstage, though as much as i would love to get one, i have stock of buds that is waiting for me to tinker with the cables and connectors and i have yet to try out the braiding Mr David was talking abt @.@

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,476 of 2,999
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #1,480 of 2,999
Yes. This only. When I use this one, it kind of stops music and show you screen with "Listening".

It shouldn't stop the music. Have you tried it on your phone? On my Walnut it doesn't change anything but on my phone it changes the sound.

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #1,481 of 2,999
Vido with mic lacks complete details. Just heavy sound I am hearing and no details at all it seems. Still giving it some time. Need to compare with and without mic together to confirm this.
Reading the guys recommendations I've removed the original foams and...details are behind them. :)
I like R&B and at the moment Vido is my favorite earbud because of the bass but I shared the same feeling.
Tomorrow I will test them with MP foams.
@golov17 thanks for the info, I already bought this foams package but I had in mind that thicker is better...
I have been reading you for a month before posting.
I'm really having fun buying and testing your recommendations and overall listening to music.
Thanks!

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,482 of 2,999
Reading the guys recommendations I've removed the original foams and...details are behind them. :)
I like R&B and at the moment Vido is my favorite earbud because of the bass but I shared the same feeling.
Tomorrow I will test them with MP foams.
@golov17 thanks for the info, I already bought this foams package but I had in mind that thicker is better...
I have been reading you for a month before posting.
I'm really having fun buying and testing your recommendations and overall listening to music.
Thanks!

the great thing about the Monk foams is that they make the bass present without interfering with the mids and highs too much. they become my "go to" foams. i only use the donuts or the full foams on earbuds with sibilant or harsh trebles

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,483 of 2,999
I am grateful to everyone for the valuable information within this topic. I have ordered them for my personal group tests.

Now I have my favorite budget earbuds in 2017.
1. EMX500 - Wide Stage, Clear, Smooth, Deep Bass
2. Vido / YINCROW X6 - Medium Stage, Detail, Smooth, Medium Bass
3. HE150 - Wide Stage, Clear, Ultra Impact, Medium Bass (This very fun for Hard Rock music)
4. TP16 - Detail, Flat , Medium Bass
---
Earbuds that I can acceptable.
1. ELI Sabia V3 (If you like Vido and want more treble higher, just try it!)
2. RY4S (If you like Vido and want more vocal voice, just try it!)
3. AUGLAMOUR RX-1 (Very less bass but very clear, used for acoustics only)
4. Seahf 150 ohm (Wide & Balance)
5. Oker DS-300 (This is the best selling in Thailand, good impact but detail is only acceptable)
6. NICEHCK DIY PK2 (Very smooth but very less impact too)
7. Quan39 (If you like Vido and want more 125-250KHz upper than Vido without using the equalizer)
---
Earbuds that I'm disappointed.
1. Yinman 150 ohm - Good detail and impact but very bad sound stage (very narrow)
2. VE Monk+ - Too much high and not clear
3. FAAEAL 32 ohm - Too much high but clear, ELI Sabia V3 is better choice for everyone who love high

Note: This is a personal opinion only. Please do not use as a basis for consideration.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #1,484 of 2,999
I am grateful to everyone for the valuable information within this topic. I have ordered them for my personal group tests.

Now I have my favorite budget earbuds in 2017.

Great list and I agree fully on those I know (based on my limited experience). Guess our ears are from the same batch :dt880smile: I like your descriptions too.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,485 of 2,999
Received the infamous Vido today. Very impressed with the bass on these buds, especially for the price. Unfortunately, my order was short: I had ordered quantity 2 of the Vido and 2 Qian39s, and only received one of each. :triportsad: Hopefully the seller will grant a refund for the missing items so I can order backups. Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with NiceHCK's customer service?

Of the buds I have, here are my rankings. Your results will certainly vary. :smile_phones:

Musicmaker MrZ Tomahawk - Maybe this should not be in a "budget" list, but they are my favorite. Good soundstage and separation, and sounds good with all genres. The faux diamonds are cool. The shells and cable are heavy though, making fit a problem when doing something.
Qian39 - My budget favorite. Sounds great with all genres.
Boarseman MX98s - Their pricepoint is between the Tomahawk and the Qian39, as is their performance. Qian39 is ranked higher because of its better bang/buck ratio.
Vido - Powerful bass for buds. Great for hip hop and rock. A tad too bright on the top end with certain pop songs (I am sensitive to treble).
Monk Plus - This was the product that compelled me to investigate earbuds, after only purchasing headphones and IEMs. Great highs and vocals, but I prefer a tad more bass. I still buy the limited edition offerings though, and have to admire how Lee pioneered audiophile quality earbuds at a bargain price.
Qian25 - Okay, but too harsh on the highs compared to the 39s.
Boarseman MX98 - Spend the extra $ for the MX98s.
TY HiZ 30 Ohm - Really disappointed in these after reading so many good things....... highs are way too harsh for my ears. Can't listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back