About grado fatigue...
Apr 15, 2011 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

juman231

100+ Head-Fier
i received my SR60 today, and I before putting it on, I was expecting some kind of harshness/fatigue that many seem to associate the grado phones. (at least the SR60/80 at least) But I don't. Is it something I notice after a while? I've had ATH-M50 long enough to have gotten used to the "neutral" sound of the headphones, but I don't notice anything harsh about the SR60. Only thing I notice so far is a more openness in sound? Movie OSTs sound fantastic. 

Is my genre of music the reason why I'm not hearing this? What type of music allows me to hear this "harshness?" Not that I'm complaining, but I feel a little left out not being able to experience this grado fatigue xP.

planning to try it out with rock music it's supposed to be so good at reproducing.

Thanks for looking, and sorry about creating another oh-so-common grado sr60 thread!

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 16
I never experienced any listening fatigue with my ms1 but I do notice on brighter tracks that I experience the brightness from my ms2i. I am in your boat as far as I can tell

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 16
the sr series below the 325is were super fatigueing to me. the 325is and RS-2 are as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 16
I've never had any sort of listening fatigue with my Sr225i's. The sound is very controlled and smooth, the high end is very relaxed and non-fatiguing and the mids and lows are richer. I a/bed my cans with my friends Rs2i's and after 15 minutes I felt that "Grado Fatigue." The Rs2is sounded way too focused in the high end and thin everywhere else, almost to the point of being harsh compared to my Sr225i. It felt like sandpaper was entering my ears. I wonder if my friend got a dud?

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
I've never had any sort of listening fatigue with my Sr225i's. The sound is very controlled and smooth, the high end is very relaxed and non-fatiguing and the mids and lows are richer. I a/bed my cans with my friends Rs2i's and after 15 minutes I felt that "Grado Fatigue." The Rs2is sounded way too focused in the high end and thin everywhere else, almost to the point of being harsh compared to my Sr225i. It felt like sandpaper was entering my ears. I wonder if my friend got a dud?

yea I just bought some RS-2 and tried the RS-2i next to them and that's not at all what they sound like.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
yea I just bought some RS-2 and tried the RS-2i next to them and that's not at all what they sound like.

Hmm, my friend must have gotten a dud or b-stock one. He doesn't realize it though! He says he loves them, although he is a noob audiophile and thinks he knows much more than he actually does. Come to think, he got the cans from some local audio store for 200 less than the normal retail....

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 16
Biggest annoyance with new Grados, for me, is the foam on the pads - scratchy/itchy.  I guess we just have to accept that some people find them overly aggressive/harsh/sibilant/'trebly'/'sizzly'/'gnarly' and be happy that we have been graced with such brutally insensitive ears :)

(even the 325is worked out ok with most of my music, but they ARE an ambush predator and will periodically jab that icepick into one's brain. Just adds to the drama for mine, and I dont find them 'shrill' in normal use)

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Hmm, my friend must have gotten a dud or b-stock one. He doesn't realize it though! He says he loves them, although he is a noob audiophile and thinks he knows much more than he actually does. Come to think, he got the cans from some local audio store for 200 less than the normal retail....

uah...that should be an explosive red flag right there.Fake or broken I don't know but thats....

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Listen to Led Zeppelin.  If Jimmy's guitar isn't harsh, then you're good to go and you should just buy RS1's now because you'll own them eventually anyways.

Tried the RS-1 VS 2, I really didn't that the rather small"improvement" and by that I mean slightly brighter and tonal change warranted he $200 price hike.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 16
Led Zeppelin is something I use to test harsh upper mids, because they are supposed to be sharp, but not harsh.  They should tickle a little bit, but if you have to turn down the volume, then there's something wrong. 

There's also a Tom Waits song that has really sharp clanking noises that I think is a good reference because they are really painful if there is any peak in the upper mids, but on my Mackie reference monitors, they are not harsh.  Certainly sharp, but not harsh. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back