A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?
Apr 7, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #61 of 355
Well it finally came today. The third try. this time via Hong Kong Post instead of EMS. It was well packaged and came with all the little cheapy goodies listed on eBay. A funky blue RCA, 3.5 to RCA cable, and 3.5 to 6.3 adapter. Personally I would suggest that Indeed keep the little cheapie things. If you care enough to want a tube amp, chances are, you'll already have better IC's than what came with the amp. Popped in the tube and powered up and warmed up for about 1 hr before first listen. First listen came from my Ipod 5.5 gen. 80gb Video headphone out>>>Milian's 3.5 neutriks OFC cable dual canare RCA >>>>>indeed amp via the 3.5 input on the front panel to the right of the volume knob to my Denon AHD7000's
Right off I could tell that this is money well spent. smooth warm and clear with not even a hint of brightness. I then ran from the ipod LOD instead of the H/P out and the SQ was slightly brighter and less controled but still very smooth.

I listened to my slighlty higher impedence. Fostex T50RP's and they really like this tube idea alot. A much different signature than the Denons, but we're talking apples and tangerines here between the Denon and Fostex.
Anyway overall first impression are very good for SQ.
There are a couple of minor poor build issues I found. The RCA and 3.5mm input jacks are of very poor quality and any movement of the IC in the plugs causes signal cut out. And I do mean "any". This is only a minor concern as I plan to run this amp as a pre-amp and I will pull the RCA jacks and run hard wire from the board to the input board of the Topping SS amp.
There is an indent in the volume pot at 50%. When I first turned the volume knob before powering up, I felt the indent and I was afraid that they had installed a balance control by mistake.
The 6.5 gold headphone output is strong and firm with no conectivity issues. I have posted a couple of pics of the RCA sent with the unit so you can see that the RCA jacks are out of alignment even on the inside, as the angle of the IC in the pics is the natural direction of travel for the plugs. even pushed in all the way, they are still at this angle.
2vcw80g.jpg

w7hppy.jpg

More Later.

Oh One More Thing. This little baby runs pretty warm to hot. don't even think of touching the black heat dissipators on the right and left rear of the amp..It will burn you !!

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #62 of 355
So Boomy...you mentioned that you thought you might wind up with 2 of these amps; is that what actually happened? If yes, were both amps similarly flawed? Did you notify Peter about the quality control issues mentioned? I also see that you "recently" had AKG K702s and I'm wondering if you still have access to them and can comment on this amp's suitability for fussy AKGs. Cheers, Don

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #63 of 355
sorry but the 702's are not availl.
The other amp is still lost in the USPS dead letter office waiting to be opened up. I hope there's a packing slip inside. there was not one inside of the amp I just got. I will check iit out if it ever gets here.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #64 of 355
Boomy,

Looks like you are taking a certain liking to this little amp. Have you rolled any tubes yet. You need to and you will find the stock tube although good does no justice at all for this little amp. I have tried the Phillips 6922 which is very well balanced, but after trying the Sylvania 6DJ6 I liked it even better. You need to seriously think about changing the tube. Quite a dramatic difference!

icon10.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #66 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of Russian tubes from thetubestore.com but haven't had a chance to roll them into either this or the EF-1. I have a "ken-Rad" and "Tungsol" coming from ebay in a few days so I'll need lots of time to roll them all.

^^^I personally do not like the Russian tubes but that is my own personal preference.

tongue_smile.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #67 of 355
Well I ran this little bay for a good long time and I must say, I has a really fanatastic SQ. Warm, Clean, no "dead air" hiss, even at full volume. I would easily put the SQ and the synergy with my Denons equal of slighty higher than the EF-1. Now having said that, the EF-1 has a much better build quality and it will be some time before we know if this little amp will "indeed" hold up.
I have not rolled any tubes so all of my early impressions are as "Stock".
I took the time to chain it up with the Topping integrated amp but it did not go well. the Topper added alot if hiss and as it is made for full sized speakers it's just too powerful for low impedence phones. I tried a 50 ohm attenuator both between the source (Ipod 5th gen .WAV) and the indeed amp and between the Topping and the headphones and that did help but not enough to keep me from unplugging the whole gear chain and going right back to the Indeed all by it'self. At this price, I think everyone should try it out. Especially "Tubie Nubies". It's a great starter amp and an excellent way to learn about tube rolling.
I don't know if running low impedence cans off of this tube amp will hurt it. I know that there are power issues with the amp it'self, but I'm going to be using this one at work from now on.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #68 of 355
I've spent some time with the little Indeed and my Fostex T50RP's, my baby step into "Orthodynamics",
And it really brings out bass and fullness without recessing the wondeful mids of the Fostex's. I find, I still need to EQ a bit, but not bad stock.
I have a couple of Russian tubes I tried with the Indeed but either they are bad or I messed 'em up trying to put them into an amp where stupidly they did not belong. I must say in my defense that they did not work correctly in this Indeed amp, even before I tried them in the EF-1. I ordered two more to try out my Semi-Balanced idea and then this one is going off to Skylab for a looksy.

Edit: If Skylab wants to, of course.

More Later.

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #70 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: If Skylab wants to, of course.

I'd be happy to!

May 5, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #72 of 355
seems to be a new larger version for sale
it looks to be much better built

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #75 of 355
Any updates forthcoming??

I have one of these (the bravo audio, not the indeed), winging it's way to me now.

I am a 'Tubie Newbie', this will be my first, so can anyone please tell me which other tubes I can use in this amp? I can't find the 6DJ6 Sylvania on Ebay, is there an equivalent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back