A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?
Mar 21, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #46 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevesebastianb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An evil grin just came over my face as a mental image of the Telefunken E88CC crossed my mind, may just put one in just to try and for fun.

darthsmile.gif

The evil grin that comes from using a tube more expensive than the amp itself?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #47 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The evil grin that comes from using a tube more expensive than the amp itself?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

^^^ I know it would be sheer overkill, but would swap it in momentarily just to see what kind of result came out?

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #48 of 355
I'd say if you have one lying around, GO FOR IT!!!!!!

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #49 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say if you have one lying around, GO FOR IT!!!!!!

^^^ LOL, I have a matched pair in another pre amp. So I guess can do a quick test. Tried the WE and your are right although it is slightly ahead, the difference is not by such a large margin as the GE 5670W vis-a-vis the cost versus improvement ratio.

icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #50 of 355
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
last known location is cleared customs in San Fancisco. on the 13th. So much for express.

^^^Boomy, any luck? Would expect it to have arrived?

darthsmile.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #52 of 355
USPS had them in Portland yesterday and this morning I checked and the tracking said that it was now undeliverable and it was being sent back. I emailed Peter and he responded immediately and is shipping a replacement via a different carrier, Since EMS screwed up this shipment as well as sending we the T-amp by mistake last time. ( I Have not hooked up the T-amp yet). Will keep checking.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #53 of 355
Quote:

USPS had them in Portland yesterday and this morning I checked and the tracking said that it was now undeliverable and it was being sent back. I emailed Peter and he responded immediately and is shipping a replacement via a different carrier, Since EMS screwed up this shipment as well as sending we the T-amp by mistake last time. ( I Have not hooked up the T-amp yet). Will keep checking.

^^^ Oh that is bad luck
frown.gif
Batting average not too good so far? I hope things change and you get the little amp soon.

Sitting here typing and listening to my new Little Dot Mk III SEPP Tube Headphone amp which uses 2 x 6H6 and 2 x GE 5654. I must say I am enjoying it and it sounds promising.

icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #55 of 355
Just a bump.
Peter said that mine was the first order for the amp so he's really trying to impress me with C/S. Well, the second shipment, which was the tube amp ( I think) eneded up in the dead Letter Center of USPS because the labels on the box only had the tracking number which gets it as far as my local P.O. , But no actual address. The Postmaster said that they will try to get it back. (Hopefully, there's a packing slip inside with my name and address on it.) As this is the second package from there that got screwed up, I would assume that EMS ( which I've had no problem with in the past) or his shipping dept. is really messing up.
The third shipment which went Hong Kong Post left Hong Kong Mail Centre on 3/28 and is still in transit. I told Peter that if the other amp does get here from USPS dead letter office, that I would buy that one from him as well (less shipping). I'll probably send it to Skylab for a listen.
I can't wait for a listen. I think the wait is making me even more anxious to hear it.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #56 of 355
Not to hyjack the thread, but I had a pairing question. So thanks to multiple shipping errors I will soon have two of the these little babys and the Topping integrated SS amp as well, so I was wondering about putting everything together as a hybrid, with optional straight tube bypass. I 'm thinking of running the Rt source feed to one tube amp, and then the Lt source feed to the other tube amp. then run them both seperately to the Topping SS amp. I would also keep all grounds and signal lines seperated into four wires. from the Topping, I would run four seperate wires to the front panel into a 4 pin mini-XLR in a semi balance configuration, side by side with a standard 6.3mm TRS. ( switched) I would also have another mini XLR running directly from the tube amps to the front panel, completely by-passing the SS amp. Any Thoughts out there ??

Also, I was wondering what would happen if I ran the source lines to both Rt & Lt RCA imputs of each tube amp. Rt signal & grnd to both rt & lt RCA inputs of one tube amp, and the Lt signal & grnd to both rt and left RCA input of the other tube amp. Too Much Pre-amping?

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #57 of 355
Quote:

Not to hyjack the thread, but I had a pairing question. So thanks to multiple shipping errors I will soon have two of the these little babys and the Topping integrated SS amp as well, so I was wondering about putting everything together as a hybrid, with optional straight tube bypass. I 'm thinking of running the Rt source feed to one tube amp, and then the Lt source feed to the other tube amp. then run them both seperately to the Topping SS amp. I would also keep all grounds and signal lines seperated into four wires. from the Topping, I would run four seperate wires to the front panel into a 4 pin mini-XLR in a semi balance configuration, side by side with a standard 6.3mm TRS. ( switched) I would also have another mini XLR running directly from the tube amps to the front panel, completely by-passing the SS amp. Any Thoughts out there ??

Also, I was wondering what would happen if I ran the source lines to both Rt & Lt RCA imputs of each tube amp. Rt signal & grnd to both rt & lt RCA inputs of one tube amp, and the Lt signal & grnd to both rt and left RCA input of the other tube amp. Too Much Pre-amping?

I don't see how it would be possible for you to keep your right and left channels anywhere close to balanced. A normal stereo amp, balanced or not, would have matched ICs, caps, tubes, etc from the same lot that would keep both channels within a tight range of each other. Also, post-production, the channels would be tested and tuned if necessary to match as close as possible.

Don't let anyone squash your dreams, though. You may get lucky and make something amazing!
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #58 of 355
I'd keep them audibly balanced, Rt = Lt, by using the individual volume controls on each amp. but I assume you mean something different when you define balanced. I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to the topology of amps. I just saw a logical chain of gear and thought that seperating the Rt and Lt and channeling them through seperate amps might make a more balance flow. Similar to the dual amp basis of the Grado RA1 but without a common ground.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #59 of 355
Quote:

I'd keep them audibly balanced, Rt = Lt, by using the individual volume controls on each amp. but I assume you mean something different when you define balanced. I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to the topology of amps. I just saw a logical chain of gear and thought that seperating the Rt and Lt and channeling them through seperate amps might make a more balance flow. Similar to the dual amp basis of the Grado RA1 but without a common ground.

Okay, I think I know what you're getting at.

The purpose of balanced audio amplification is to produce amplification while reducing noise. A "balanced" amp usually does this by creating an inverted (differential) signal, which allows subtraction of any noise that has been introduced along the amplification pathway. Obviously, you aren't able to do this with your configuration, since all of the hardware you're working with is single-ended (unbalanced.)

By separating the audio channels into 2 different amps, I think you're suggesting that you would benefit from noise reduction due to less cross-talk / EM interference between the left and right channels. I think that is probably true, but at the same time, you would be introducing more noise due to the increased space that your signals are exposed to.

With regard to "balancing" the left and right channels, meaning keeping them at the same amplification level, you might be able to approximate that by ear or even better by using an oscilloscope, but the problem is that there is always going to be some drift in impedance, especially with tubes, which vary in their characteristics based on the temperature.

In any case, this is all theory, and in practice, it might work. So give it a shot and let us know how it works!

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #60 of 355
Thanks for the educational theory stuff. I tried to get it all from the "Tubes, FAQ" thread but I got confused after about the sixth page. I'll put it all together and try it. If I don't like it, I'll just use one tube amp as a pre-amp running to the Topping as the OP amp stage. I'll use the other one for straight "Tube" use but my cans are all fairly low impedence, so I may need to stick with the hybird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back