A Head-Fi Survey
Dec 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #16 of 76
  • Everything except rap. I'm okay with everything else, but orchestra recordings will always be my favorite.
  • Mostly at home.
  • After work, so anywhere from 7pm to midnight.
  • HR Ultra micro stack > HD800, yes it's my own.
  • I do prefer speakers, but can't listen to speakers at loud volume due living conditions.
  • No, I don't like IEMs. Makes my ears itchy.
  • Between low and mid volume. Depending on the song.
  • I have a few. Mostly use the 24/96 sample tracks from HDtrack. Free and available to everyone, easy for comparison.
  • Neutral neutral neutral. Fun is for when I'm jogging.
  • Amp makes a difference, huge difference. If you have a pair of hard to drive headphones, try it while switching the gain settings on your amp. First experienced this with K701, low gain just doesn't sound right no matter how high I pump the volume.
  • No experience with electrostats yet, sadly.
  • Not loyal to any brand.
  • I have changed. I used to love huge thumping bass, well, not anymore. Now I prefer quality bass over quantity bass.
  • Haven't owned a true tube amp yet.
  • No particular favorites. As long as it's not rap, and the music isn't too horribly butchered, I'm okay with it.
  • No experience with vinyl.
  • The Ultra micro DAC, yes it's my own.
  • JRmusic through Amazon. Just seems so professional.
  • Too many to count. One person who stands out is Skylab, for his detailed reviews.
  • Sometimes I just leave the HD800s on my head since they are so comfortable. Been thinking about modding K701 into earmuffs.
  • Would love to have an online circuitry course explaining the inner workings of a headphone/amp.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 76
1 A lot of genres, but to name a few: hip hop, metal, drum 'n bass, ambient, reggae.
2 In my room
3 At night, before going to bed
4 DT990/600, yes
5 no
6 no
7 c: average volume
8 Massive Attack - Mezzanine, Red Harvest - Cold Dark Matter
9 neutral with a little more bass
10 there's always something out there that sounds better than your current rig
11 no experience with them
12 not quite yet, but maybe beyerdynamic soon
13 yeah I've learned that well-produced and mastered recordings can be more fun to listen to than low-fi
14 haven't heard any tube amp yet
15 Lights Out Asia, Massive Attack, Mago, The Future Sound of London, Ulver
16 a little experience taught by my dad a long time ago, but no, I prefer digital
17 Shanling PCD300A, yes
18 Meier Audio
19 Skylab
20 Gaming
21 old-style post and signature editing (I believe it's called bbcode or something)

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #18 of 76

Quote:
  • What are your musical preferences? (By Order) Acoustic, K-Pop,Pop,Rock,Hip-Hop,R&B,Rap
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? At Home
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? Depends on the mood,totally random.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? I switched from Full Sized to IEMs so as of now my Cowon S9 + Ortofon EQ-5 + soon getting the UDAC2-HP or the FiiO E7
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Headphones
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? Yes
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener C.) Average Volume Listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin . Girls by Se7en
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? Depends on the mood really , If I feel like listening to a laid-back genre, I prefer the neutral sound but if I feel like listening to a more energetic sound, I listen to V "fun" sound.
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? Mid-Range is IMPORTANT (Well at least for me , it is now.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?  Nope
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? Nope. Since I believe that every company has their own pros and cons.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?  YES by a great amount. I began re-ripping my old stuff to FLAC
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? As I've experienced with the HD650, I prefer the tube sound.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers Sungha Jung,Andy McKee,Clara C,Daphne Loves Derby,John Mayer. (All of which are Acoustic Artists)
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? Nope.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? The Best CDP? Obviously the PS1's.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. MUSICA ACOUSTICS. Hands down.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. ClieOS
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? When I had the HD 555's used it for movies.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? A MOBILE APP.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #19 of 76
Too bad there's no sweepstakes for answering - joking, of course.

• Post-punk and indie rock, and some classic rock
  • at the desk in my bedroom where my setup is
  • I usually listen at night before I go to sleep, or in the afternoon on weekends.
  • Audinst HUD-MX1>Purity Audio Caliente>AKG K702. It's my own; I haven't had the chance to listen to many others.
  • No.
  • No.
  • I would call myself an average volume listener - among audiophiles, that is.
  • Arctic Monkeys "D is for Dangerous," Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody."
  • I would probably seek a more neutral sound. It just seems more "natural" to me.
  • I learned
  • I heard a pair of SR-404s at an audio convention in Taipei; I found them faster and more present than dynamics, but they sounded a little thin. Perhaps higher-end electrostats remedy this thinness.
  • Not really, although there are some brands/headphones I stay away from (aside from Skullcandy).
  • I used to be all about treble/midrange clarity, but I'm fairly receptive of different sound signatures now.
  • Tubes have a nice tonality to them, but in the end I prefer the neutrality of solid-state.
  • Oasis/The Libertines/Queen/The Doors/Franz Ferdinand
  • No experience with vinyl.
  • The only source I've listened extensively to is my MX1. Can't wait for my Music Streamer II+ to come, though.
  • Oriel of Purity Audio is a nice guy and answers questions promptly. Shameless plug - their amps are good and more affordable than ever.
  • |joker|'s huge IEM/portable headphone comparison threads for sure. I don't know how he does it.
  • I also use them for watching shows, but my desktop speakers are more convenient for gaming.
  • The classifieds still need some refinement, like removing fulfilled offers (perhaps buyer and seller both agree to remove the post?) and searching the classifieds as well.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #20 of 76
1.I'll listen to anything, but I also go through phases when I'm obsessed with a performer or selection. Right now, I'm listening to a lot of electronica, classical, and odds and ends of pop music from the last century

2.Mostly commuting and mostly at work.

3. 8:30 am to 6:00 pm is the main time, but since I've gotten new  IEMs, I've been listening a lot at night.

4. As of today (December 27th, 2010), I really haven't listened to any other setups but my own. My best setup iHP140 (Rockboxed) - PA2V2 Amp - (depending on mood) SR80s or TF10

5. Nope.

6. Yes, mainly for portability.

7. Average, though I'm probably wrong about that.

8. Goreckyi's 3rd for dynamics. Miscellaneous rock for detail. Different Jazz (usally bop or cool) for separation.

9. Neutral with an edge of fun. I do have those TF10s after all.

10.That there's really a wealth of information in the older threads.  Just hopping in and asking "What should I buy?" is going to get you a lot of FOTM advice and it pays to dig. Also it gives you a better idea of old feuds and an idea of where different people are coming from.

11. Nope.

12. No, I like different sound signatures.

13. It's made me much more conscious of source quality. That's probably the biggest change, though it's been fun to read about and buy a couple of new iems.

14. No idea, I haven't listened to a tube setup since my dad's (and he put it together) way too long ago.

15. Right this week? In no particular order: Bill Evans, Patty Griffin, Arvo Part, Cassandra Wilson, and Thievery Corporation

16. I have vinyl still and no, I don't.

17. Best CD player I ever heard was my own Nakamichi. Bought it years and years ago, but it's out in the garage.

18. Gary at Electric Avenues.  I know he's not one of the big guys, but he's been great about answering even the most random questions. He has great follow up on any problems.

19. I think he's not around  any more, but for sheer information, my favorite is gregorio's "24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!" Especially the beginning section.

20. Sometimes for watching movies.

21. I'd like a better way to sift through the posts, but that's a programming problem. I wish there was a little less pitchforks and torches over contentious issues, but that's the nature of the internet.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 76
1.  Hip-hop, alternative rock, space rock, and classic rock.
2.  On the bus, basement, bedroom.
3.  Random, although I do listen to music before going to sleep.
4.  I'd have to say my Audio Technica ES7's unamped out of my computer.  I don't know any audiophiles near me so I don't have the luxury of hearing a high-end setup.
5.  It depends on the situation.  I don't really prefer one over the other.
6.  Definitely headphones over IEM's.  IEM's are just never that comfortable for me and I can listen to headphones longer.
7.  Moderately low-level.  Usually around 1/3 volume on my Zune HD.
8.  Gone-Kanye West 320 kbps.  Gives me a good idea of the bass, vocals, how well it does with strings and other instruments.
9.  A fun sound, although I'm not quite sure yet.  
10.  That you can get good sound for any budget.
11.  Nope.
12.  I haven't listened to nearly enough headphones to be a fanboy, but I love the sound signature of my Meelec M9's.
13.  Not particularly.  I haven't been here that long
14.  Haven't heard a tube amp, so this doesn't apply to me.
15.  Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Kanye West, Arcade Fire, The Flaming Lips
16.  Haven't heard a DAC.  Once again I'm fairly new to this.
17.  Zune HD
18.  Meelectronics.  Great prices, fast shipping, great customer service.
19.  Can't say that I have one
20.  Gaming, my laptop speakers suck.
21.  A shootout for full-size headphones!  Seeing as that they have been made for IEM's and portable headphones this would be appreciated. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #22 of 76
1. Anything alternative but also any sort of genre.
2. Somewhere stationary like at home.
3. Totally random.
4. 12/27/10 Beyerdynamic DT880 (2005 edition/250ohm) is the best I've heard and my own.
5.Headphones
6. Headphones
7. d) Moderately loud-level istener
8. Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive Far Away and Deftones - My Own Summer (Shove it)
9. A fun sound (musical).
10. Selecting the correct sound signature for you trumphs everything else including "detail".\
11. No but very interested.
12. Fanboy of Sennheiser. Sennheiser has the sound signature perfect for me.
13. Yes. I came in as a basshead and then moved towards mids. Then mids+treble. Finally mids+bass.
14. Only listened to solid states.
15. Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, A Perfect Circle, Queens of the Stone Age
16. Not experienced with vinyl
17. My X-Fi Xtremegamer sound card as a DAC
18. Thanks to Shure for fulfilling their warranty policy on my Shure SRH840.
19. Thanks ljokerl for making the best IEM thread to date.
20. I use headphones to game as well
21. Stickied threads. ljokerl's IEM therad needs to be stickied seriously. Also the search function needs to be fixed. It doesn't do chronlogical order very well.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #23 of 76
  • What are your musical preferences?
    -Classic rock, orchestral soundtracks, J-Pop, chiptunes, pop/rock
  • Where do you listen to music mostly?
    -At home sitting in my bed or on the bus to school
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?
    -Music sounds best around midnight. The house is quiet and everything is warmed up by that point.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?
    -My rig in my sig. Sadly I haven't had much experience with high-end rigs
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones?
    -Headphones are cheaper, smaller and don't require special rooms to work. They win.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? -IEMs and headphones aren't really comparable.
    -They both give a different kind of sound and soundstage. I vary between the two.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
    -Moderately loud. I like to crank it up, but I also like to keep my ears intact. Louder doesn't always equal better, though.
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.
    -Stories by Hitomi Kuroishi, Last regrets by Ayana.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?
    -Again, it varies. My home rig is quite fun and my portable rig is pretty analytical. Both have a place for me, and I like both for different reasons. At a pinch I'm more of an analytical man (but not cold).
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?
    -'Colour' is a bad thing. Colour sounds happy. Colour sounds nice. Why can't we use a different word that sounds more negative? It makes it sound like all music is usually black and white.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?
    -Pass
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?
    -When I started out I wanted Sennheiser, but mainly because there was too much to choose from and by limiting myself to one manufacturer I was presented with manageable choices. Right now I'm up for 'most anything, be it from China, the US, Germany or any other part of the world. Value for money is where it's at.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?
    -I think I listen to a lot of my library less than I used to, mostly the contemporary stuff. I was borderline enjoing it before, but when the recording isn't very good and the music is very 'meh' I just give it a pass. Equally there are some things I listened to less that I now enjoy more, like classical.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?
    -Ooh. Hybrid.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers
    -Dire Straits, Hitomi Kuroishi, Rie fu, The Beatles, Yasunori Mitsuda
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?
    -I've recently had a chance to experience vinyl for the first time. It's clunky, scratchy, hard work and expensive, but it sounds GLORIOUS. Not sure whether it's 'better' than digital audio, but it's certainly better for some kinds of music like classical.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?
    -Probably the Marantz CD-50 SE. It's my mothers. 4x oversampling, dual DACs. This was hot stuff back in the day, and it still sounds pretty damn good.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.
    -Oatley Electronics in Australia were fantastic people to work with. When they sent me my K272A kit they were communicative and helpful. Also a callout to Head-Direct.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.
    -BobSaysHi seems like a nice chap. Project86 writes thorough and interesting reviews. I've never particularly had direct help from anyone (though I've had a few somewhat unexpected PMs asking for advice myself), but then again I've never asked for or needed it. Oh, and Joker. Dear god, Joker.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?
    -Some light gaming, also for watching videos and films. I also use them for knocking in nails when I can't find my hammer.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?
    -Fix the goddamn bloody search bar. I had a friend who asked me about a pair of headphones earlier and I asked him if he'd checked here. He had, but hadn;t been able to find anything relevant because of the search. A Google of 'Head fi [item]' returns better results.

Interesting idea. It was fun to fill out... now I'd better read everyone else's.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 76
Snowed in and have nothing better to do so here goes...

1) Electronic, classical, technical/experimental metal, blues, pretty much anything that isn't made for the lowest common denominator. 

2) Anywhere.

3) Random (matches my lifestype).

4) Don't remember. It may have been HE90/HEV90/some Meitner Dac, or it may have been the O2/BH or O2/SRD-7 Pro/Dared VP-20 setup that I have here. All of them pale compared to some of the best speaker setups I've heard.

5) Speakers, but headphones are more practical, especially when you've got a family.

6) Not really, but they're catching up. They've already surpassed dynamics IMO (this is balanced-armature IEMs we're talking about here, not dynamic ones).

7) Moderately loud, but this is silly since everybody more or less thinks they're listening at moderate and safe levels even when they're not. I'm probably borderline, but then again I can't even walk into most clubs and concerts without earplugs.

8) Just use whatever you're most familiar with as long as it challenges your system. I use a lot of different records, from classical to electronic to death metal to everything in between.

9) They're one and the same. Anyone that thinks neutral isn't musical doesn't know what neutral is. Most of what gets called neutral around here really isn't. It's cold and analytical.

10) Take everything you read here with a grain of salt. Actually, scratch that. Try an industral warehouse-full of salt.

11) Dynamics suck - with some exceptions. At least as far as headphones go; the best speaker setup I've heard was dynamic and single-ended throughout. Ironically, it was much closer to planar headphones than dynamics in most respects. But then again I grew up on electrostatics so to speak, so what else do you expect me to say?

12) No. I like what I like and I don't care where it comes from as long as it's good. At the moment a lot of what I have is Stax but there are few choices when it comes to electrostatics. Also, I think people need to be critical of their gear; fanboyism is dangerous for the hobby.

13) Yes. My progression was pretty typical - at first it was "omg bass" (pre-head-fi) then it was "omg highs" (when first discovering head-fi) now it's "omg mids" (like most audio people). I used to be after maximum resolution until I realized that most of what I listen to isn't good enough to stand up to the scrutiny of a really resolving system. So now I like a bit of coloration in my rig. But maybe it's the source that's letting me down and I'm simply using colored components to cover it up. If/when I get a source that sounds the way I want, I think I'll be able to max out the resolution and still enjoy it. The best speaker systems I've heard were simultaneously extraordinarily detailed and very enjoyable, but then again the music was also recorded just about as well as it could possibly be.

14) I like the tube sound, just about everything I have is tube (or hybrid), but properly implemented solid state will sound like that too. Really there isn't a "tube sound" per se, at least at the high end.

15) Comparing composers and artists is silly. But FWIW I like Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Bach, Shpongle, and Nick Gunn. I used to like Porcupine Tree but then they got popular and started to suck.

16) Not yet. But we'll get there eventually.

17) It was a custom-built DAC at a high-end mastering lab. I wish it was my own but I don't even want to think about how much it would cost.

18) Moon Audio helped me out a few times in the past, was very communicative and catered to my bizzaro custom project requests.

19) Spritzer (is awesome).

20) Music, games, movies, and sometimes just as earplugs or earmuffs. DT770s are better as earmuffs than headphones anyway.

21) Stop letting MOTs get away with shady behavior. Ban the shills and the trolls. Ditch Huddler. Try to hold onto your best members instead of pushing them away.

But it's too late for any of that. So enjoy the music.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 76

• What are your musical preferences? It really depends on the mood but overall  Classical, sometimes I switch to Electronica even sometimes classic rock, I enjoy different kinds of genre more like an open minded 
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? Mostly at work while doing video editing helps me relax and be more productive, house, car.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? 3-8 hrs I guess, Its like 5 days a week :D
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? Probably my cousins Ps1000 almost tied with my T1 but I wanna dwell into electrostatic If I've got the time
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Speakers if only they're portable and more cheaper than headphones, why not.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? Headphones, there's something about them.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener . C-D
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Lilac Wine by Jeff Buckley and a couple of K.D lang there are more but forgot the names.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? Fun I rather toy with my k601 than my K701/702
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? Cables/ Wires are all just the same. hehehe not asking for a debate.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? I tried them once sounds different has more open-ness, and real clarity thats why wanna check them out after I'm done funding for a PS1k 
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? No not really, just enjoying my hobby 
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? Very much I became more meticulous. 
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? Tubes, so many tubes so little time.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers.A.Vivaldi, J.S Bach, Beethoven, John Adams, Jerry Goldsmith also Michiru Yamane
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? No
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? Red Wine Isabelina, I auditioned it before with a fellow headphile. feels good man
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Grado? none really since I payed for their item and services and in return they do their job correctly. If its out of the ordinary I'll commend one.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. Xanadu,Jude mostly people of the trade. Skylab
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? Sometimes cleaning audio for work but thats different.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? Don't be harsh with the new members. I feel for their wallet, but seriously as of now nada.

Thank you

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #27 of 76

• What are your musical preferences? Power Metal, Electronic, Discotech, Thrash Metal, Rap, J-Pop, Classic Rock. None of the new stuff.
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? At home, on my desk, or on the bus to school.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? Well during school days it's between 7am - 8am & 3:30pm - 4:30pm, but currently, it's whenever things  feel too quiet, or i need to focus.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? Th only one I have: iMac > K240 MKII or TD-9 > K240
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Headphones, just because they look nice!
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? Headphones, IEM's are just more convenient
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener. I think i am either average or moderately loud, depending on my mood.
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Immortal - Dream Evil, and any type of electro-pop with female vocals.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? i have a tendency to like my Mids above all else, but i can't really classify if that is a "fun" sound...
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? Amps, How do they work? also, earpads.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? I have no idea what that is.....
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? I might be a AKG fan.... not too sure though.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? Suddenly, Skullcandies don't sound as good as they use too.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? No idea.... Hey cut me some slack, I'm still new to all of this.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers Daft punk, Judas Priest, Nihilist (USA), Gorillaz, Dr. Dre
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? nope
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? does a mac count?
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Amazon
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. Uncle erik i think, and his knowledge of high-end headphones
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? Watching Movies, surfing the net' in general, Drumming, and sometimes gaming.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? hmmm.... maybe encourage more people to write reviews on the item page itself, instead of on the forums? not really sure as to what more i really ant out of this site.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #28 of 76

I'll respond to my own OP:)
  • What are your musical preferences?   Classical, jazz and rock & classic R&B  
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? In my home rig but also I enjoy walking with a good set of IEMs
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?  Totally random for me and totally all-day for me.  I'm thrilled to say that I often have 8 consecutive hours to listen to music because I don't sleep much and my job allows me to constantly be actively listening....I'm a recording engineer and session musician.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? Probably the R10 (bass heavy) with the TTVJ Millett 307a and the MSB Platinum DAC III.  I'm happy to say it is my own.  The Pinnacle worked better with more headphones and the B52 was no slouch.  The SDS XLR for the moment which I owned it and it worked showed itself to be a very good amp but it's not worth talking about further because I heard it years ago for maybe 5 hours.  I have also heard the Manley 300b Classic Neo and it was stellar with some headphones, namely the R10 and T1.  I enjoyed the reverb effect of the Manley the most of any amp which I have heard, but the tonality has been surpassed by both Millett designs for me.  Lastly, I am currently auditioning a Woo Audio 5 and I only have about 6 hours into it, but it is an amazing amp.  It compliments my 307a very nicely and is very different.  More in another thread.  But yes, the R10, 307a, MSB Platinum III is currently the overall best, though it doesn't excel over every other in every area.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? My engineer buddies would think of less of me for saying so, but I've had the fortune of hearing the speakers at Clinton and Avatar studios (some of the most luxurious systems in the world and the overall system costs in the tens of millions of dollars if you include room design) and for me, it did not exceed some of the better headphones on the market.  I enjoy the intimacy of headphones and the ability to tune into detail.  No speaker is capable of this just as no headphone is truly capable of visceral chest pumping bass.  But yes I prefer headphones by a significant margin for my listening pleasure.  I mix for clients almost exclusively on speakers though unless they ask me to do otherwise.  I will brag here for a second that I had the fortune of being at the session when Bob Dylan was recording his Love & Theft album at Clinton Studios.  Love and Theft is clearly one of the most audiophile reference quality recordings of Dylan's career and my vote for his best of the past 35 years.  I was actually in the room.  I was in the control room as well as the band room which was HUGE.  The piano there is the piano used on Kind Of Blue!  Anyway, I say this, because when I listen to the album on a good headphone setup I think it sounds better than it did in the room!  That's the highest compliment I can pay headphones.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? I really do love IEMs for the portability and I've always thought Jerry Harvey in particular was genius, even long before he left Ultimate Ears.  The UE10 is one of the most neutral and wow-factor transducer to me.  I'm sure the JH13/16 is a vast improvement.  I haven't invested because custom molds feel awful to me.  When I was in Irvine once, I stopped in at Ultimate Ears to see if they could do some re-fits for me.  They were extremely kind, but ultimately I walked away with an IEM that was still not comfortable to me.  Ultimately I do think headphones reproduce soundstaging more impressively and the sound of dynamic and electrostatic drivers feel more impressive to me.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener....Gotta be honest, I think I listen extremely loud by head-fi standards, but not all the time to preserve my hearing.  But often do 45 minute sessions of at least 90 db
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.  I use Pat Metheny's Still Life (Talking) very often to test the reverb ability of an amp.  Ivan Fischer's recording of the Mahler Resurrection (Second Symphony) is extremely dynamic and very honest in terms of the way the symphony sounds live in a concert hall.  I usually use Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin to see how the sibilant a system is.  Also, the new Beatles Remaster Abbey Road is good to just see how the system holds together on analog recorded sound.  I also use tons of Floyd...gotta be true to head-fi:)  Lastly, I usually use Kid A and Bjork's Debut album to test transient articulation
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?  I'm split.  I seek neutrality for classical always.  I seek fun for rock. And jazz I'm mixed.
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?  A balanced amp can be surpassed by a ton of good single ended amps.  In other words, if hearing the word balanced is your assessment of a new level of quality, get this out of your head because I wasted a lot of time believing this.  Also, more $ rarely is an implication of an improvement.  More money CAN mean better, but it can also mean more overpriced and the only way to get a good idea is to do extensive research both on head-fi and possibly at meets, the smaller the meet the more you will be able to assess the equipment.  If there's 100 people in one room, the headphones are nice to look at, you wouldn't know an Omega 2 from a Grado though in terms of true differences in sound quality until it's quiet and you can sit and really sound-observe.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?  Yes I have experience but have never owned one and therefore my opinion of them is based on other people's rigs.  I think high end Electrostats are leg to leg with high end dynamic and orthodyamics.  They are NOT, to my ears, in a different universe like some people persist they are.  But they are certainly worthy of much praise.
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? Not a fanboy because I give almost every brand equal attention, but I think Sennheiser flagships throughout my time as a collector and listener have always been a bit more impressive than their competitors.  I think of Sennheiser as the leader and Stax certainly the leader of Electrostatics.  Everyone else is in second place as of right now.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? Yes, unfortunately, badly mastered and recorded music is very hard for me to enjoy whereas many years ago I didn't care much.  This doesn't include lo-fi rock though which is meant to be messy, but rather hard-panned recordings and extensively bright and or brickwalled recordings.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?  Tubes most certainly.  But don't be under the illusion that tube = warm / slow in every instance.  My 307a is the quickest and most neutral amp I've ever heard and it is a tube circuit.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers.... Mahler (of course), Brahms, Elliott Smith...if you don't know who he is, please please do, he's the greatest songwriter of the 20th century I think, The Beatles, Keith Jarrett
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?  I used vinyl as a youth (I'm 28 now).  I have never heard what would be called a great vinyl rig.  The fact that vinyl is something you need to maintain with kid-gloves keeps me away.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? Absolutely the MSB Platinum DAC III, but I am currently saving up for the Diamond DAC by MSB which they insist is the best DAC in the world currently and based on my experience with their products, I believe them.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.  TTVJ, Pete Millett, APureSound, Ray Samuels, Meier Audio, Headroom (Headphone.com), Tyll Hertsens, Moon Audio, Woo Audio, Kevin Gilmore, Grado, Audez'e are some of the companies and business people who have truly blown me away with their service.  Despite any personal evaluation (which is subjective) of the products, all these companies have continuously impressed me with their ability to give me time both in terms of phoning, email correspondence and service/repair. I may have a forgotten one or two, so I will revise this post accordingly.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.  Jude makes this all possible and is a wonderful guy.  Thanks Jude.  Uncle Erik has been a great friend and very knowledgeable. Nate (N_Maher) is very good at responding quickly to my questions and is a wonderful guy.  His fundraiser some time ago was my favorite thread of all time.  MacedonianHero (Peter always listens to me rant and rave about gear even before I have the real time invested into the product to make a fair judgment.  Thanks Peter, you're a great friend).  Tim J Thomas is someone I've recently come to know during a trade we did.  One of the nicest people you will meet here!  IvanRocks123 is an extremely thoughtful head-fier.  For personal reasons I consider him a great friend.  There are so many others.  I think so highly of so many.  Of course Skylab's (Rob) continuous awesome reviewing skills have made him someone I always use to reference products I haven't had the pleasure of hearing.  His portable amp thread was my bible for a good few months!
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?  No I don't.  I am always daunted by people who spend $300 for movie watching and video gaming, but I suppose everyone values different things.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?  A lot of people have been banned recently.  I think many people who are banned deserve the privacy which everyone is entitled to, but the one thing I do wish is that if someone is banned for shill-reasons that there is a way to inform the community that the person was specifically caught shilling.  The reason I feel this way is that I take reviews of credible posters very seriously.  If I was caught shilling for Sennheiser for instance, I think it would be important for other posters to know that my word was totally tainted.  Even after a poster is banned, the stamp they left on other head-fiers remains.  But if they were banned for being a shill, it would be possible that the stamp they left on other head-fiers could be easily disregarded.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #29 of 76

• I listen to classical mostly, and Bach if I can.  I'm a big fan of his solo instrument works and have been delighting to the organ works, cello suites, WTC and other keyboard works.
  • In my home study.  
  • Totally random listening hours
  • [size=x-large]My best headphone setup is my own Sennheiser HD800s powered by a WA6.  I've never been to a meet and don't have friends who share my audiophile delights.[/size]
  • I prefer headphones
  • I have Westone 3s but vastly prefer the HD800s
  • [size=x-large]I am a low level listener[/size]
  • I use HeadFi's "Open Your Ears" Rebecca Pidgeon's "Retrospective" and whatever my latest Bach organ recording is to test my system.
  • I much prefer a neutral sound - I hope I'm hearing what was at the recording venue.
  • I've learned that my wallet can take a beating!
  • Yes, I have a pair of Stax in my basement.  I just prefer the HD800s now (but I'm not selling)
  • Probably Sennheiser because I'm so taken with the HD800s now.
  • [size=x-large]My taste in sound quality has not changed.[/size]
  • I'm really enjoying the Woo WA6 tube amplifier, but I don't consider myself hard-core
  • Bach, Bruckner, Mahler, Shostakovich and Bach - but I've got a really good classical collection
  • I don't have any vinyl - I could never buy a record that didn't come pre-scratched (or so it seemed)
  • I've no comments on source.  I just moved to a small house and didn't have room for my CDs so I ripped my collection to Apple lossless and I'm satisfied.
  • Headroom has been great to me for a long time.
  • How could I not mention Jude, here.  Also the multi-year classical posts that Dark Angel kept going caused much pain to my wallet!
  • I do listen to podcasts
  • I wish more people would share music reviews.  That is, I think the equipment sections are fantastic.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #30 of 76

Quote:

• What are your musical preferences? Jazz, J-Pop, Soundtracks and Game Music
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? Mostly at home, rarely on the move even though I own 2 DAPs
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? Usually at night
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? My current setup - AKG K702 with Naim Headline 2 amp and Cambridge Audio DACMagic
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Headphones
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? Headphones
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. David Benoit - The Best of David Benoit, YUI - I Loved Yesterday
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? Neutral sound
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? They way impedence, sensitivity and damping factor affect a headphone's performance
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? No xp 
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? No
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? Not much
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? Can't decide, haven't heard much of tube sounds
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers Acoustic Alchemy, Chihara Minori, David Benoit, Joe Hisaishi, YUI
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? Listened at hi-fi showrooms using equipment leagues better than my current setup, so cannot comment on this
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? Naim Uniti, not mine
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Can't pick just one; I have only dealt with CryoParts and HeadRoom once and both were excellent in customer service
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. Can't remember... the most prominent head-fier that comes to mind right now is Skylab and his gigantic portable amp roundup post, but it was more of a good read than anything else because I'm not considering portable amps right now.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? The occasional dvd movie
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? None at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back