A Head-Fi Survey
Dec 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #76 of 76
  • What are your musical preferences? Anything, as long as it doesn't suck. I know that's not a really good answer but there are good musicians and there are crappy musicians. That said, I listen to probably 80% classical and 20% other stuff.
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? In front of my computer monitor.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? When I'm awake and not at school.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? HD600 out of my modded soundcard after being Isone Pro'd and EQ'd. It gets stuff done.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Yes.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? No.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener Moderately low.
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Rachmaninoff's Elegie Op. 3 No. 1, on the album "A Window in Time," Wang Leehom's 心跳 on the album "心跳."
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? Neutral. I often have to master stuff.
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? It's silly to be purist. People like me do this and that to the audio, making changes more significant than the effect of your amp or cables or whatever.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? No experience with electrostatics.
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? No.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? At first, I only sought the most neutral and accurate reproduction of sound. I didn't master audio when I first joined head-fi. After I did it for the first time, I realized that everything I did was for making stuff sound good, so if you consistently like a sort of sound, even if it's not neutral, it's OK to make your rig that way.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? Solid state.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers Bach, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Mozart, Brahms.
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? I have little experience with vinyl, and the system wasn't good enough to make a fair comparison.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? I hear no difference.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Sennheiser made my reference headphones, so I congratulate them on making a good product. HifiMan made the RE0 which are a really good bang for the buck.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. Lunatique's tastes and philosophies are similar to mine, such that I think I could almost use his ears as my own.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? I play a lot of video games, which I why I have the sound card, for its DSP.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? The only thing I can think of is having more stuff about speakers, but of course that isn't what head-fi is for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back