A Head-Fi Survey
Dec 27, 2010 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought it would be nice to put a "little" survey / questionnaire of sorts to prevent myself from hounding the forum with 20 separate threads.  But this could also be a one-stop shop for people to learn about other head-fiers and also gain some perspective.  I know that it's not all headphone related but still, I thought this would be the most appropriate section to unleash the madness 
evil_smiley.gif

• What are your musical preferences?
  • Where do you listen to music mostly?
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones?
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? 
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?

Thank you for taking the time to fill this out

-Dave

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 76
1) I generally listen to Prog Rock, some prog metal, some electronic, and quite a bit of big band jazz. I would like to get into classical.

2) I mostly listen to music when I'm in my dorm room (where my set-up is located) and when I'm walking to and from class. I also sometimes listen whilst napping in the student union.

3) I listen mostly on my rig in the early afternoon and in the late evening. I listen sporadically on the go.

4) The best set-up that I've heard was a source that I can't remember --> B52 --> HD800s at a meet two years ago.

5) I've never experienced extremely nice speakers, but even with my Infinity desktops out of my Technics amp, I prefer the real-ness of speakers.

6) I prefer full size headphones over IEMs because I dislike having to deal with fit and seal of the in-ears (even customs)

7) Compared to my friends, I listen at low levels of volumes, but I'd imagine that on the whole I listen at average volumes.

8) I usually use The Flower Kings' Space Revolver because it's an album that I know very well, and I feel that it has a wide range of textures.

9) I'm pretty sure that I prefer a more neutral and natural sound, because I feel like I miss too many details in a more colored sound.

10) I'd definitely say that novices should take the journey slow, it's a lot more fun to build a rig piece-by-piece.

11) I've only heard electrostats in the form of the Koss ESP950 at the aforementioned meet, but I really really enjoyed the 'lightness' of the sound, it just made detail sound effortless.

12) I don't think so, I don't have the money to have a religious devotion to a brand :)

13) Well, I remember when I was unaccustomed to my HD650s I found them to be dreadfully airy compared to my venerable Pro4AATs, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Also, I've learned that the HD650s are not nearly as airy as I'd thought they were at the time.

14) I have very limited experience with tubes, so I cannot say. I can't form an opinion on just one meet.

15) a) Yes b) Van der Graaf Generator c) The Flower Kings d) OSI e) Anglagard (and many others just missed the cut)

16) I have zero experience with vinyl.

17) I was very impressed with the PS Audio Perfect Wave setup when I heard it.

18) I think that Koss has absolutely amazing customer service, and many under-appreciated products.

19) Uncle Erik always astounds me with his wealth of information regarding all topics of life, I look to Skylab for potential new music, and I look to Kirosia for laughs.

20) I use them almost exclusively for music.

21) Eh, I'll go with the flow. I would like to see a little transparency in moderating practices, but I can't complain.

This was fun, thanks for putting it together!

-Logan

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 76
OK, fine. I'm up for a survey, I'll make it quick though.

1. Metal
2. I usually listen on the computer, while surfing the interwebs. I prefer to listen lying down in bed with all the lights off.
3. at night. If I have school, it's all day.
4. My modded grado setup sounds wonderful
5. no
6. If I could get the sound of my grados into an iem package, then yes.
7. Moderately loud listener. Used to be a full volume listener.
8. Godflesh - Regal. If a headphone isn't sibilant with this recording, it's pretty damn good
9. I haven't ever enjoyed a neutral headphone
10. LEAVE! this site will consume you
11. never heard em
12. grado. they're nice
13. nope. I always craved high end sound
14. tube, although I haven't heard a nice SS amp
15. Agalloch, Neurosis, Mastodon, Isis, Opeth
16. Never heard it
17. I have a grubDAC, I'm going to build a gamma 2
18. Beezar.com
19. I'd have to say tomb. I had so much trouble with my amp he offered to fix it for me, such a great guy.
20. hardcore sex.
21. Make it easier to post n stuff. FIX THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 76
1. Classical, acoustic, alternative rock.

2. Anywhere i want to but i love to listen to music outside as its more relaxing.

3. No fixed time.

4. There are no dedicated headphone shops around in perth and meets have not happened for a long time.

5. Speakers have better presentation but good headphones have more of a WOW factor.

6. IEMs. They are much more portable and isolate much more noise so i can take them outside. Headphones have better sound for price thou.

7. A bit higher than average guess. It's around 83dB.

8. Stuff from Coldplay's Parachutes album are very well recorded.

9. Neutral=boring and neutral is not always natural sounding so i prefer a warmer midrange sound.

10. Double the price does not necessarily mean double the sound quality.

11. Do orthos count? I have only heard the Fostex T50rp.

12. Fiio. They have very good products for cheap.

13. I prefer a clearer sound now, over more bass.

14. Definitely tubes. But i havent really heard higher end solid states so i dont know. I want the HA 160 though.

15. Paganini, J.S. Bach, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Ennio Morricone.

16. Never used one.

17. Ipod shuffle first generation. The sigmatel chip just is so good.

18. eBay. I never buy anything from retailers and all my stuff are working.

19. Everyone that answers my questions generally.

20. I tried M50s for gaming but i find surround speakers are better for games and movies.

21. Add a "number of total members" icon somewhere at the top. Probably split up huge threads and close off threads that are old, at least archive them to prevent people posting on them.

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 76

1. Vocal with beautiful music. Music with good beat. Beat with rocking vocal. I guest I listen to anything.
2. Home
3. Random
4. Sen HD600 + an amp I didn't want to know the name. No, they aren't mine. I listen to them once, then I put them and get the hell away from it. I don't want get tempted so I didn't ask the detail of the set up. I do know the amp cost more than $500 though.
5. Sometimes, when I get tired of headphones
6. When I'm traveling or waiting in noisy environment
7. b. Moderately low-level listener
8. Any song. Actually I don't have any "standart songs". But usually some vocal songs, some classical songs, Enya (I always include some Enya songs), and several others.
9. Neutral
10. No matter what other peoples said, its your own ears and taste which is count.
11. No.
12. Any cheap but good brands. Producing a headphone on cheap-level price but still can stand on its own is brilliant!
13. Yes. 1st bass lover, 2nd treble lover, now more neutral-almost-warm sound lover.
14. Solid-state
15. Enya, Josh Groban, Roger Subirana, Andrea Bochelli, Linkin Park. I guess I'm mainstream typed guy
16. No
17. Nuforce uDAC. I absolutely stay away from high-end systems
18. Superlux: they really saved my wallet! Their headphones is very good for its price.
19. LFF. His review lot of cheap-but-very-good cans. And some new but good brands too.
20. Movies, games.
21. none at this time.

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 76
1. I mainly listen to classic and prog rock and classical, though I've got some stuff from many other genres. No hip hop/rap or country, though.
2. On my main rig I lounge back either in my bed or on the couch. For my portable setup I trek around the house and neighborhood, or else power across campus.
3. My listening times are totally random.
4. The best headphone I have heard is my own DT880, though I am under no illusions that it's the best headphone in the world. I can't wait to try some true high end stuff!
5. Sometimes I do prefer speakers (fatigue issues, mainly), but I do the majority of my listening through headphones.
6. I don't have much experience with IEMs, but the one (lousy Apple) pair I had for a while didn't really bother me much, though over extended periods they were a little painful.
7. I go all across the board, though I usually sit in the average to moderately loud category.
8. "John Barleycorn" by Traffic (it's a tradition) and "Mad Man Moon" by Genesis.
9. I tend toward seeking neutral, as I don't much care for really obvious coloration. That said, I prefer a touch more brightness than what might be considered truly neutral.
10. I learned some of the strengths and drawbacks of different sonic signatures, which all but the very best headphones usually exhibit as per their tonal class.
11. I have no experience with electrostatics and it's something I definitely want to change.
12. I wouldn't say I'm a fanboy for any particular brand. I like the headphones in my stable but I'm not an evangelist. I recognize their strengths and weaknesses and accept them for what they are.
13. In fact, it has somewhat. I've started getting worn down by brightness, whereas when I started here I craved it above all else. I'm really interested in trying a smoother, more midrange-focused (NOT thick or dark) tonal balance, as opposed to the bright-leaning signatures I currently own.
14. I've never heard any tubes, unfortunately. I think I would really like a tube amp, particularly as I'm starting to crave a touch of midrange warmth sometimes.
15. Genesis, Kansas, The Who, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull (generic, I know)
16. I just got a turntable, so unfortunately not yet. I'm looking forward to exploring vinyl and making some drops.
17. The very best source I ever heard was the TASCAM CD player (couldn't tell you the model) my university had in the room my music appreciation class used. It was a stellar setup all around, and that player was serious business.
18. I've got to give the nod to HeadRoom here. Excellent service, very quick, knowledgeable, and friendly. I highly recommend them, even if they do charge a premium on some items.
19. There are so many wonderful Head-Fi'ers and I don't want to just pick one, but if pressed, I found Zombie_X's comparison of the different premium beyerdynamic headphones a very informative and fascinating read.
20. I also watch YouTube videos, game occasionally, and track/monitor in my home studio.
21. The reply box gets me down all too often. Either it's not compatible with Google Chrome or else it just sucks, but it's annoying how Spell Check, Copy/Paste, and some other things don't work very well. It's also impossible to get the cursor to appear in certain places when a quote block has been added, fonts do weird things sometimes, and it's just an all out mess. On an unrelated and much less relevant note, I feel there aren't enough different emoticons (lots of headphone ones, but little else) to express myself.

I also think there should be a separate recommendations forum, and that brand new Head-Fi'ers should have to attain a minimum of, say, 50 posts before they can post in the main equipment forums. This is so the equipment forums aren't flooded with one-timers looking for general recommendations.

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 76
  • Various genres: Jazz, Blues, Folk, Rock, Metal, Pop, Classical. Trying to get into electronic music.
  • At home, my "listening corner" in my bedroom, where my gear is.
  • Evening mostly.
  • Not been to a head-fi meet yet... so it's my own setup.
  • For certain types of music, yes
  • No. I don't like sticking things in my ears, and find the complete isolation of IEMs disturbing.
  • b (Moderately low volume) for acoustic music, d (moderately loud) for rock/metal
  • Chopin's Piano Concertos 1&2 (Polish Festival Orchestra and Krystian Zimerman), "The Wall" by Pink Floyd and "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" by Iron Maiden
  • Both. Having a neutral headphone and a fun one is a great combination.
  • Most recordings these days sound like crap.
  • No, but I'd love to try stats.
  • No
  • Not really.
  • Not enough experience with amps yet. Solid State is more convenient though.
  • Tom Waits, Miles Davis, Tchaikovsky, Bob Dylan, Kate Bush
  • No experience with vinyl yet (except vinyl rips, which sound excellent)
  • Not much experience with DACs yet
  • Dr. Lloyd from Mapletree audio was a great person to deal with.
  • Uncle Erik appears to be one of the most knowledgeable and reliable users around here.
  • Occasionally for watching movies.
  • Shut the site down and destroy the servers! Stop this madness!
    biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 76
My answers...
1. Music preferences: mostly old and rootsy music, everything with a good groove or good instrumentals and of course vocals matter; from John Coltrane to Overkill, depends on mood mostly but if I have the feeling the music is not performed with real conviction/emotion I will not listen to it in the long run. It is even worse when the passion is replaced with pretentiousness but that is highly subjective. 
2. At home I listen to music most of the time, generally.
3. When depends on the day and the mood.
4. The JVC HA DX3 out of my CD690 'was magical' but considering the improvements with my recent set up it could go either way, right now John Coltrane's album "Blue Train" in the CD690 + AU-217 I + Pioneer Monitor 10R is more than I could hope for. The amplifier makes a difference.
5. Not yet for now headphones are more than good, I am checking out speakers though since I miss the sensation of the speaker sound.
6. I prefer headphones over IEMs.
7. Moderately low listener but with the new amplifier it is sometime hard to resist raising the volume.
8. Massive Attacks "Angel" and Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor", very revealing among others...
9. Fun or neutral? Neutral for the good music will only sound better. Of course neutral is a hard to define word in audio and highly subjective.
10. Something I learned that I did not know as a novice: if you find what you were looking for just stop looking any further and enjoy it.
11. Not yet, I might not even be interested as much as I am liking my system right now.
12. A fan? I have a thing for AKG - the K181 is surprisingly impressive - and less popular brand audio gear since that can be incredibly good, Philips gear is so underestimated.
13. Mostly CDs and vinyl, otherwise FLAC since I plan on re-ripping all of my music to FLAC and that is it. I prefer the tangible medium...
14. Solid state or tube, I have not really auditioned tube state and as much as I like the Sansui for now I prefer solid state for the moment.
15. James Brown & The JB's, King Crimson, Kate Bush, Lynn Collins, Bach are some of my favourites and the list grows as I find more that I like...
16. Vinyl is very likeable, even worse I prefer my 16 bits CD690 to my CD690 + DAC but then again it already has a built in DAC so for its sound I prefer vinyl but the set up has to be absolutely right to get the most of it. I am still working on that...
17. The stock Philips CD751/753 with the TDA-1549 sounds addictingly good from its excellent headphone out system with my Pioneer Monitor 10R. I had both and the CD751 is still in my possession.
18. I never had any problem with any company but I cannot recommend one either since I never had a problem with any audio related company.
19. Uncle Erik among others...
20. I use headphones for music listening.
21. Future changes/improvements of Head-Fi that would help me/be more effective for me? None. As soon as I am done with building my ideal set up I should just leave and I feel I am close. This hobby is already distracting as it is, Head-Fi can make it worse... 

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 76

• What are your musical preferences? Pop (Gaga, Katy Perry), Metal(DreamTheater, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish), JRock (Versailles, Sincrea, X Japan)
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? Home on Laptop and On the move.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? Random
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? My own crappy one...friends aren't into headphones ):
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? I would, but they disturb neighbors
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? No
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener. (C)
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance, Dream Theater - The Count of Tuscany (Two of my favorite songs)
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? Depends, Want details with Dream Theater, and Bass with Gaga
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? Stay far far away from skullcandy and beats. Amps improve sound by quite a bit
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? Never tried, too expensive
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? SONY! Most my electronics at home are Sony, and they look sleek and elegant.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? I thought I wanted bass bass bass, turns out Details attracted me more
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? Never tried
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers ^Read (1)
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? Never tried
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? I only ever used Fiio E7...
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Sony and Fiio
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. Theres...too many:)
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? Gaming, watching videos/movies, Skype
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? Make more people know of this site

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #10 of 76

1. Metal and Rock, but mostly Symphonic and Prog, and only a little of (Blackened) Death Metal and never really listened to Sludge; Some audiophile Jazz and Classical
2. At my computer while working (I'm currently in grad school and most readings are digitized); followed by out in coffee shops with my iPod; when I really have time for it, with a Marantz CDPlayer at home through the headphone out
3. Anytime I'm working on my media PC, or working on papers in coffee shops; or when I'm not too tired at home, with the conventional system (CDPlayer, tube amp)
4. As of 12/27/10, the best set-up I've heard was: Cambridge Audio 750C (my friend's)  >>  Little Dot MkII (mine)  >>  HD600 (mine)
5. Headphones, on account of I'd prefer a small headstage over a problematic room that f's up the soundstage (Yes, I've been there, and the processor in my car made it sound better than my processor-less, untreated bed room)
6. No, but I still think one should have at least one good IEM for portable use. You won't always have a bag for the headphones.
7. Average volume; I listen at considerably lower levels than what wouldn't be painful for an hour or so, but I still surprise myself that I can hear vocals clearly after I hang the headphones up.
8. Focal 6, tracks 1,2 and 6 to be exact; Dream Theatre's "Images and Words;" Epica's "We Will Take You With Us" DVD
9. Neutral tone but "fast/musical" presentation (good enough attack with quick decay and articulate)
10. I've been audiophile long before joining so this isn't "new" and neither did I get it from here, but what newbies just getting started can and should learn here is: REGULATE YOUR SPENDING. The best products aren't always expensive and not all "bang for the buck" items should be purchased either. And the best part with head-fi is it's easier to listen to systems and replicate it at home. Imagine attending a car audio meet where you listen to a lot of cars, where some cars are better acoustically - like the nearly flat dash top on the current Civic or the deadening that comes standard with a German car; or to a home speaker meet where not everyone can bring all their gear much less listen simultaneously. So at the end of it, LISTENING should REGULATE spending, not make it worse. Pick a system you really, really like and try to get as close to that as possible.
11. Yes on both counts, but specific issues prevent me from getting them: cost of the electrostats themselves and the amplification. Although between a $1500 dynamic headphone that needs a $500 amp, I might just get an Stax with an adapter and hunt for a vintage Class A speaker amp.
12. No, but if it matters, I usually just like Grado, Sennheiser and AKG, with a few exceptions of course (electrostats, for one, but two on that list have had one)
13. Not too much. I've liked Focal speakers at home and in my car, and my first pair of really good can is the Grado SR225, and I still have it. I like Vifa and Dynaudio next, so I first got the HD600 and I'll probably get the K701 next after I get an X3 or QA350.
14. If I had to choose between both extremes, I'd get tube. Otherwise I'd prefer a tube amp that's not too stereotypically tube - SEP/PP KT88 amps for speakers, LIttle Dot MkII for my headphones.
15. Dream Theatre, Epica, Nightwish, Therion, David Mahler
16. Very little experience with Vinyl and only with speakers, not on headphones. Either way, I respect the SQ of vinyl, but I still prefer digital. The cost of a really good vinyl rig and the media that I have to ship in bulk in my area (you can't ship just one or it might get bent, you need to box or crate these), plus the fragility of the media itself, makes it problematic for me. And I come from a country that lost a lot of our films because the films (pun intended) degraded due to lack of care, first by an otherwise artistically-inclined lady married to a repressive dictator then on to later years with just plain neglect for culture as all funds - public and private - were diverted to industrialization that didn't get that far because of Congressmen taking kick-backs.
17. Cayin CDT23 at a local Hi-Fi shop
18. Grado. They sent me a replacement fork free of charge and shipping, although I gave them a US address to send it to.
19. None here yet, at least not to that extent; but I've had a long correspondence, since my speaker days, with a local head-fi-er through a local forum, I just don't know if he's registered here. Here's his webpage: http://jdlabs.blogspot.com/
20. Everything on the computer - movies, streaming video, etc. My desktop doesn't even have speakers.
21. None I can think of for now

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 76

• What are your musical preferences? Mostly rock, classic rock, alternative, a little industrial metal/electronica. I have been discovering blues and jazz latey.
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? At home in front of the computer.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? Pretty random but mostly in the evening, preferably after everyone is in bed so there are no distractions.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? I don't have much experience so the best setup was when I demoed my current headphones. It consisted of Oppo CD/DVD player>Citypulse 2.03e II>Little Dot 1+> Grado GS1000.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Headphones for now.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? Headphones
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Dave Matthews Live at Luther College, Eric Clapton Unplugged, Pink Floyd DSOTM, Jolie Holland
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? I have Grados so I would say fun for sure. I would like to try a neutral setup though.
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? Everyones ears are different. Something that sounds fantastic to you might make others cringe. It can be frustrating sometimes.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? No...I would love to try them though.
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? Grado. Because they sound fantastic.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? Yeah...I went from louder harder music to much more laid back, better recorded, acoustic stuff.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? Tubes.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers. Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, Jolie Holland, Tome Waits, Nora Jones, Jerry Garcia
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? No...I really want to though.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? Citypulse 2.03e II. I do not own one, yet.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Ear-Head Audio in Winchester, VA. Second to none customer service.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. There have been many. I am not sure I can really single one out.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? Not really. Sometimes I use them when playing games or listening to podcasts.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? Ban all talk about Monster Beats and Skullcandy. Fix the search function. It SUX!!!! Ban all talk about Monster Beats and Skullcandy. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #12 of 76

Quote:

• What are your musical preferences?        Prog rock, post rock, metal, indie, sound tracks
  • Where do you listen to music mostly?      At home with my main setup
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?       Random
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?         Spotify - MF X-CANV8P - Firestone DAC - AKG K280 Parabolics. My own.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones?    No
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?     No
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.      Massive Attack 'Angel'. Pink Floyd 'Summer 68'. Gomez 'Whippin Picidilly'
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?     Neutral
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?       That many claims on this site as to the performance and relative difference of kit is often grossly exaggerated.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?      I have experience with hybrid electrostatic dynamic headphones (AKG K340) and I suspect I would prefer dynamic.
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?      AKG due to build, sound and cost.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?      Not changed
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?       I have two hybrid amps and will stick with them.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers.        Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Gomez, Anekdoten, Devin Townsend
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?     There is too long a gap between having vinyl and getting a DAC to be sure.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?    Lossless files or music streamed off a PC, any PC.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.    Musical Fidelity
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. Nick_Charles and Uncle Erik regarding the nonsense claims made by many audiophiles.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?     Learning to solder and motorbike maintenance guides on You Tube.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?      I am happy with the way it is at the moment and want to thank all those involved in running the site.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 76
  • 20% Indie/Alternative (think Husker Du?), 20% Metal (and its sub categories)15% Rock 15% Ska 10% Electronic 10% Jazz 10% Classical
  • Mostly surfing the web or in the car nowadays. And when I'm doing homework.
  • Afternoons, or whenever I feel like it.
  • Beats. Not really. I actually don't remember. I try to forget these things, so my gear is still listenable. Probably an O2 plugged into an 007. Which didn't do it justice...
  • Depends on the situation. But if I had a choice, speakers. But that's not really feasible in my situation.
  • No. Although my IEMs sound better than my headphones.
  • I'm not sure actually...I guess moderately loud?
  • Like A Dog Chasing Cars (Shame it clips.), The Private Psychedelic Reel
  • That's too hard...neutral I guess. Fun's more fun, but gets boring after a while.
  • Headphones are a lot more complicated than one would think.
  • Yeah, yeah.
  • AKG? Until I can afford Stax I am. I love their headphones is why? They have the most...unconventional headphones. Like name another company that's produced something like a Sextett, K501, K340, K290, K240DF or K1000!
  • Yep. Basshead to mid freak.
  • T00bs.
  • Gah, okay Beatles, Alkaline Trio before they sold out and made meh music (My friend had Mrs Skiba as a teacher, supposedly), Mahler, Shpongle, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Streetlight Manifesto
  • Yeah, I'll take vinyl any day.
  • Esoteric...something or a JA Mitchell Gyro.
  • Monster, MEElectronics
  • Uncle Erik, most of the Orthoheads, especially BoilerMakerFan, dBel, and Ericj, and a ton more
  • Corrupting?
  • Mobile Head-Fi.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 76
  • What are your musical preferences? indie rock of many various sub-genres, some modern symphonic, some OCRemix stuff
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? office, car, home desk, couch (headphones and speakers)
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? it's sort of all over the map
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? best is probably my current Shure SRH840 through the CD5001 and Cute Beyond, it seems to hit all the right notes
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? that's like asking if I prefer sports cars over sportbikes; they do different things; if I want to have a transcendent experience with the music and explore it and really dig deep and get lost in it, it's headphones, if I want to have a good time, listen while moving around the house, get drunk, sing along, listen with other people, dance, it's speakers
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? do not like IEMs
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener I listen (to headphones) at very low volumes, which can sometimes be a problem with amps since with low impedance cans they have channel imbalance at low volumes; at home I enjoy extremely low volumes when everything's quiet; I'll forego heat or AC to create a perfectly quiet environment
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Weird by Menomena, a few tracks off of Grace (Jeff Buckley), various tracks I've heard forever and know how they're "supposed" to sound
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? neutral by a wide margin
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? there is NO headphone that makes music sound like it did when I used to smoke marijuana, to my GREAT dismay; also, there is no consensus here! the XB500s are either extremely fun or extremely terrible; gather ye multiple opinions
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? no experience at all; I owned ESS AMT-1 air-motion transformer speakers and am (literally) first in line to buy the new line of AMTs, and I'd pay a lot of money to have that kind of crystalline clarity in a headphone, but I'm just not sure stats are where it's at
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? I'm not one at all
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? when I first started, six years ago,I was all about screeching treble detail in my crummy little zero-bass MDR-7504s; over time I've looked for a much more balanced and nuanced sound; also, I've found a new appreciation for the Bose QC2s (see signature); also, I'm able to appreciate several different sound signatures rather than just wanting one headphone to rule them all
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? I think I prefer solid state although my tube experience is very limited
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers Menomena, Okkervil River, Portugal.The Man, Failure, Danny Elfman (random five)
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? liked it as a child, that's about all my experience
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? my Marantz CD5001 is good, but the Onix XCD-88 when playing HD CDs was probably the best
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Amazon
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. the guy who compared 60+ low to mid-priced headphones -- extraordinary
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? general TV listening sometimes; an episode of the SyFy show Sanctuary from a few weeks ago sounded absolutely euphoric inside my AD700s
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? would like to be able to display 50 posts per page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back