A Head-Fi Survey
Dec 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #31 of 76
What are your musical preferences?

All sorts of stuff.  Classical (all genres), rock (oldies, New Wave, alternative, indiepop, grunge, a little metal and a touch of buttrock), jazz (all subgenres), world music, country (roots, bluegrass, classic country, alt.country), and even a little bit of early (late 80s/early 90s) rap.

Where do you listen to music mostly?

At home.  Though I do enjoy the stock Pioneer stereo (with extra bass!) that came in my car.  I won't buy a nice stereo - it'll get stolen.  I also use an iPod full of lossy AAC files with it.  :evil:

What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?

Whenever I can.  If I wake up early, sometimes I'll listen.  But the bulk is at night, after work.

As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?

I didn't get much time on it, but Blubliss' HE90 rig sounded awfully good.  Though I'm also crazy about the HD-800 fed from the Moth Si2A3 (my rig) which always makes me happy.

Do you prefer speakers over headphones?

Yes.  Don't read that to say that I don't love my headphones.

Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?

No.  But I've heard some terrific IEMs - I plan to buy the JH13 one of these days.

Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener

About average.  Sometimes I turn it down.  I rarely crank it.

Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.

DSoTM (naturally), Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby, Depeche Mode's Violator, Leo Kottke's 6 & 12 String Guitar, Dave Brubeck's Time Out.

If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?

Neutral.  Unquestionably.

What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?

What happens at CanJam stays at CanJam.  :evil:

Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?

Yes.  I like the O2, Mk. 1, but generally prefer dynamic headphones.  Though I'm a monstrous fan of electrostatic speakers.

Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?

I like all brands that produce quality gear.  I really love the high end Sennheisers, the K-1000, the DT48, and pretty much anything Craig Uthus builds.  I like those headphones because I find them accurate.  Craig's work is very interesting because he pushes the envelope and creates circuits that you just don't find in other amps.  The build quality is excellent and everything is fairly priced considering what goes into his work.

Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?

A bit, I've trended strongly towards the neutral/studio sound.

If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?

No need to press.  I love tubes.

List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers

That's difficult.  To pick from my favorite genres, I'd say Bach, Wilco, Lefty Frizzell, Ali Farka Toure, and Bill Evans.

Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?

Oh yes.  I can't really say.  I've heard great vinyl and great DACs.  I'm in favor of good music, not format snobbery.

What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?

I love my J.A. Michell Orbe with a SME IV arm.  It is everything I had hoped it would be.

Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.

I've had great service with everyone I've done business with.  I recommend all of them.

Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.

I get the most out of posts from nikongod, dsavitsk, tomb, amb, spritzer, and Kevin Gilmore.

Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?

Mostly music, but I also watch movies with headphones now and then.

Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?

I'm working on a few things.  :)

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #32 of 76
1. Mostly Glitch/IDM-style electronic (edIT, The Glitch Mob, EPROM, Marty Party, PANTyRAID, etc.) and rap
2. In my bedroom through my computer, at school on my iPod
3. Whenever I'm awake
4. Either the ATH-M50 OR the Westone 1 (I like them equally). I own both
5. No
6. Always for portability, about 50/50 for at home
7. Moderately low-level or average
8. -EPROM - Phaseknocker (2 big bass notes right at the beginning with nothing else starting for a few seconds after, good to check for bass quantity and if I got a proper seal with IEMs)
   - Jaime Lidell - Little Bit of Feel Good (Boreta remix) (has very heavy bass, lets me see if the bass interferes with the mids or highs)
   - The Glitch Mob - Crush Mode mixtape (just SQ in general)
9. Neutral
10. IEMs tend to be much more subjective than full-sized phones
11. No experience
12. Nope
13. Now I have higher standards, before I just settled for whatever was the cheapest at the drugstore and didn't care much about how they sounded, as long as one end plugged into a 3.5mm jack and the other end into my ears
14. Never heard tube, so no preference
15. (in no particular order) The Glitch Mob, Flobots, EPROM, D12, RATATAT
16. No experience
17. The best I have memory of is my iPod Touch
18. Earphonesolutions.com gave me a good price on my Westone 1s, and shipped them much more quickly than expected (and advertised)
19. ljokerl, for boldly going where nobody elses' wallet will
20. I also use them for whenever I watch shows on my computer, and for playing video games (although I haven't gotten a chance to try out any of my new phones for gaming because I've been recovering from a wrist injury I got in October)
21. Improve the search function, maybe? I can't really think of anything to put here

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #33 of 76
  • What are your musical preferences? A: prog rock, some metal, some classic rock, Chillout/Downtempo, Dubstep, movie soundtrack style classical, some blues and some jazz.
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? A: at home on my couch.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? A: pretty random, but mostly in the evenings.
  • As of this date, what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? A: my current setup is the best i have heard so far, HD650 out of a HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC and my laptop.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? A: right now my preference is headphones. i need to retune my home speaker setup.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? A: i now greatly prefer full size open cans over IEM's. i used to prefer IEM's up until i heard my first set of open cans.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener A: average i would say, sometimes quiet, but i do also crank a song or two at times. so it varies.
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. A: that's i tough one, i have a lot of different recordings that i like very much.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? A: i definitely prefer a fun sound, but i still like detail and accuracy as well.
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? A: amplification is very very important.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? A: no experience with them yet...
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? A: i like what i am currently using, but i don't think i'm a fanboy.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? A: yes, i now prefer a bit less bass and tend to focus more on the midrange when i listen to music. since joining here i have become used to less bass, and have slowly been tuning all my stereo systems to have less bass. i have lowered the subwoofer in my car 5db in the last couple months. i also now prefer to listen at a slightly lower volume as well.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? A: haven't heard a tube amp yet, so i cant say.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers A: this is a tough one, but i'll give it a shot. Ayreon, Opeth, Devin Townsend, Massive Attack, Hans Zimmer
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? A: no experience with vinyl.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? A: my HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC paired with my laptop would be the best headphone source i have heard and used.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. A: definitely HeadRoom. i spent a lot of money on my amp and i am completely satisfied with it and them.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. A: no idea, i read a lot on here and have learned a lot. i can't think of any one person who helped anymore than the rest though.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? A: nope. just music.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? A: can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #34 of 76

Quote:
I thought it would be nice to put a "little" survey / questionnaire of sorts to prevent myself from hounding the forum with 20 separate threads.  But this could also be a one-stop shop for people to learn about other head-fiers and also gain some perspective.  I know that it's not all headphone related but still, I thought this would be the most appropriate section to unleash the madness 
evil_smiley.gif

• What are your musical preferences?  I like rock (like The Jam, XTC, etc.), dance music (like New Order, Kylie Minogue, etc.), and lots of other stuff.  Hard to nail things down.
  • Where do you listen to music mostly?  I usually listen in my basement at my PC (PC --> Micro DAC --> Micro Amp), off my dedicated source (Marantz CD5003) or at work via iPhone and .mp3 files.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?  I listen when I first get to work in order to focus.  At home, I listen after the kids are in bed.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?  I haven't listened to anything better than what I own.  Not that what I own is that great, but I've just never really had a chance to listen to high-end stuff.  I mean, I've listened to Bose and Monster Beats at Best Buy, and that's about it.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones?  No preference.  Speakers have their time and place, as do headphones.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?  No.  I prefer headphones, but IEMs are great at work to block out ambient sound and to not look dorky.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.  "The Look of Love" - ABC, "Subculture" - New Order.  "I Don't Wanna Be Called Yo ****" - Public Enemy.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?  There are more headphones out there than what you see at Best Buy.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? No, I have never heard electrostats.
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?  Not really.  Although I do think the AKG K601 were totally overlooked back when it was released.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?  No.  I just know a bit more about why something sounds good/bad.  For example, I can tell you a bit about why "Californication" sounds so cruddy on the CD I own.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?  Never heard tubes.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers - Paul Weller (The Jam, Style Council), Elvis Costello, Beethoven, Andy Partridge (XTC), Dave Mustaine
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?  I like vinyl.  I like CDs not ruined by the loudness wars.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?  I haven't listened to anything better than what I own.  Not that what I own is that great, but I've just never really had a chance to listen to high-end stuff.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.  HeadRoom, JR Music, Amazon.com, Ray Samuels Audio, Shure.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.  Can't remember the guy's name, but he knows all there is to know about Frank Zappa and helped me pick out some Zappa for me to get started with.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?  Gaming and music
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?  I've got no complaints, although the Bose bashing and Beats trashing gets a bit tiring.  Funny, but even funny stuff gets tiring ad nauseum!

Thank you for taking the time to fill this out

-Dave

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #35 of 76
  • What are your musical preferences? Classical, Blues, Blues/Rock, Classic Rock
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? At work during the day (1 - 2 hours on the best days) via headphone, and in the evening 2 or 3 times per week via headphone.  On the weekend, I listen to speakers.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? It varies quite a bit.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? Sennheiser HD-580 & Mapletree Audio Amp.  (I have a Meir Concerto on order.)
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? Yes and no.  It depends on my mood.  I prefer the intimacy of headphones -- especially with chamber music -- but the fun of speakers with blues, blues/rock, and with other people.  (You can't really share music over headphones.)
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? No - I dislike IEMs.  Not for the sound -- I dislike having anything in my ears.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener?  Moderate low-level on headphone, and average with speakers
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Bach Cello Suites, Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions, Pink Floyd
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? Neutral for Classical & Fun for all else
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? A couple of items: First, take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt.  And, last, the music is more important than the gear.  I'd rather listen to a great song with friends around a campfire, rather than alone on the best equipment in the world!!
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? None
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? No
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? Yes to some degree.  I am able to discern subtle differences in recording more readily than I could in the past.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? With headphones, the best I've heard is my Mapletree tube amp; for speakers it's my Van Alstine solid state.  I like them both.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers Bach, Brahms, Pink Floyd, Cowboy Junkies
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? I have a decent vinyl set-up and like it a lot.  No real preference for vinyl other than allowing me to find a lot of classical at next to nothing.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?  Not much experience here.  I have a Jolida CDP in my speaker system and have considered picking up a DAC, but am not convinced I'd be able to hear enough of a difference to warrant the cost.  I'd love to try a DAC, on my headphone system at home (using a simple Philips DVD as source) to see if I can detect an improvement.  
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Headroom, fritzspeakers, avahifi, mapletreeaudio
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. The reviews from Skylab.  The musical recommendations and commentary from Bunnyears, DarkAngel, & Tyson.  And, of course, DavidMahler - you are far too kind!!
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? No
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? Better search function.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #36 of 76
 1. What are your musical preferences? Classic rock, alternative, metal, hip hop, electronica, jazz, Punk/hardcore/new wave etc
   2. Where do you listen to music mostly? at my desk at home or in my bedroom
   3. What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? in the evening
   4. As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? my own TT>nad pre>Little Dot MKII+>MS1000i
   5. Do you prefer speakers over headphones? each has their place
   6. Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? full size 'phones
   7. Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener- Average volume listener
   8. Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.any Cowboy Junkies or Steely Dan, Jethro Tull- Best of Acoustic, Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
   9. If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? I would like a neutral system, but my current set up is all sorts of fun
  10. What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? It has confirmed I have a highly addictive tendency
  11. Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? no experience w/ Electrostatics
  12. Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? Little Dot Because their bang for the buck ratio is unreal
  13. Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? Lately (since I got some Ultrasones) my MS1000i seem shrill
  14. If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? I love tubes!
  15. List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers- Joe Strummer/ The Clash, Bob Marley, Lou Reed/VU, Tricky/Massive Attack, Cowboy Junkies and 100 more
  16. Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? I only have experience with a few mid fi DAC's like mine so I still believe vinyl rules.
  17. What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? My Tascam CD450>Moodlab Concept DAC
  18. Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Audio GD, ALO, Headroom, Cryo Parts, have all given me great service.
  19. Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.kboe wins for giving me his Headroom Total BitHead :wink:
  20. Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? Rarely I use them for movies on the laptop or my Zune
  21. Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? PLEASE get the "mark forums read" button back!

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #37 of 76

• What are your musical preferences? Classic rock, heavy/prog/space metal, classical, Anime OSTs, psytrance...
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? Home.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? Random, leaning towards the evening.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? Stello DA100 -> McIntosh 1500 -> Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 (my own)
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? I usually listen with headphones but use my low-end Energy speakers every so often for something different. When at Dad's I prefer to listen to his Magnepan MMGs -  they sound remarkably similar to my ATH-AD2000s!
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? No.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener to b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. Cowboy Bebop - Blue (entire album), Yes - 90125 (vinyl), Air - Run, "pure snows" from Kanon -anemoscope- (NOT "recollections"), Infected Mushroom - Forgive Me, this Rhapsody in Blue
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? I'm shooting for a "fun" sound these days.
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? Not only do amplifiers make a difference, but different designs can sound wildly different.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? N/A.
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? Not especially.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? I've learned to appreciate more bass. Previously I would turn the bass control all the way down on audio gear. I still prefer a leaner sound than most.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? Tube 100%.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers Yoko Kanno, Pink Floyd, hard to really pick favorites. I like everything I have.
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? Yes, I have a vinyl setup. The form of distortion it introduces sounds absolutely amazing with the right vinyl and it can be more involving than digital audio from my DA100.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? Tie between Stello DA100 and Sanyo TP 1012 turntable with Audio-Technica AT120E/T cartridge (both my own)
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Sennheiser! Excellent service when my HD-280s began to crack. McIntosh was able to sell me parts for my 1965 model receiver!
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. Skylab's reviews are very informative.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? I use them for gaming, movies, anime, or any other tasks I perform on my computers. Headphones are usually the only sound device in operation.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? None that I can think of at the moment.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #41 of 76

What are your musical preferences?  
Almost everything I listen to is before about 1999 (exceptions of course).  Old country/folk/classic rock/motown/blues/classical.

Where do you listen to music mostly?
In my room.

What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?
If I'm home I like to listen throughout the day, otherwise I'll listen from about 9PM-midnight every night.  

As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?
There are a couple.  Blue Hawaii -> Stax Omega/Omega2mk1 is my reference.  Menace -> Sony R10 is really good as well.  KGSS -> HE90 I just got so I can't say yet, but it is very, very good so far.  Those are my rigs.

Do you prefer speakers over headphones?
Speakers > headphones

Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?
IEMs < headphones

Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
I would say moderately low level listener, but comparing to other people at meets and what Ray Samuels told me, I could very well be an extremely low level listener.

Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.
I've got mixed opinions on this right now.  I think it's a good idea to have some stuff with you that you're very familiar with to get a better grip on the tonal balance of a headphone (among other things), but listening to the same thing takes away some of the enjoyment as well so it can be hard to tell how much you actually enjoy the gear you're testing.  I usually use Neil Young - Unplugged, Bach - Cello Suites, 1812 (Telarc) and a few others to test gear, but I like to throw in random tracks as well just to enjoy myself.

If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?
Neutral with a hint of euphony.

What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?
Most people here exaggerate.  DACs and amps don't make "worlds" of difference, let alone tweaks.  I've never heard a difference in cables.  The transducer means almost everything unless it is very power hungry (electrostats).  Don't let people tell you your system isn't resolving enough to hear the differences.  Trust your own ears, not other peoples' eyes.

Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? 
Yep.  I like electrostats much more than dynamics.  There are only a few dynamics I'd ever own.

Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?
I like Stax a lot.  Sennheiser is usually good for the price too.

Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?
I'm probably not a real audiophile as I still listen to a lot of music with bad mastering.  Some of the old stuff I love has distortion, pops, and a lot of hiss but I don't mind.  I listen to a lot of music on youtube actually, just to see random old performances of songs I like or to find more music.  Sacrilege, I know.

If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?
I can't say I've heard much of a difference.  The only amps I have a lot of experience with are pretty high end and it is said that usually it's the cheap tube amps that sound "tubey".  Haven't really compared much.

List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers
Johnny Cash, Beethoven, Ray Charles, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd.

Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?
I don't have enough experience with vinyl to comment.

What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?
I think my Accuphase DP75 sounds pretty good, and a Wadia CDP I heard at a local meet sounded good as well.  I haven't done enough A/Bing to say if they're really that much better than less expensive sources.  I would have to volume match as well.

Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.
I haven't really bought from companies as I get everything used or DIY.  kuboten has helped with that though, I like Craig.

Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.
Spritzer has helped me a TON.  I've probably learned more from him than I have from the rest of the forum combined.  Can't thank him enough.

Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?
I use them for FPS gaming as well.  A nice advantage to have. :)

Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?
Huddler has made some slight improvements, but the old forum was still much better.  I pretty much just participate in a few threads and spend the rest of my time here in PM.  I would like if mods would move the Stax thread back to the High End forum so I can browse to it like normal, and if they would stop closing threads that have something negative about products that happens to go off topic for a page instead of just pruning the off topic posts (somehow the appreciation threads never get closed for this reason though).

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #43 of 76
1. 70's prog rock of any sort, post metal, heavy metal and hard rock.
2. Either at my computer while browsing the web or in my bedroom while studying/readig etc.
3. Totally random.
4. I've only heard my own stuff, the best is going to be the HD650 driven by the LittleDot MKII.
5. I have a good speaker setup in a large basement, and a pair of small fostex fullranges in my bedroom ( all DIY stuff ). If i lived alone i would probably listen to speakers only.
6. No i don't.
7. I'd call myself an average volume listener, i more frequently have to ask other people to lower the volume than the other way around.
8. "Aja" - Steely Dan , "The Eye of Every Storm" - Neurosis , "Romantic Warrior" - Return to Forever.
9. I don't like to turn on the "loudness" setting on my speakers but i prefer slightly colored cans like the HD650s.
10. 150$ headphones like my dt-990Pros driven directly by my 0404 Usb already sounds very good, almost all you have to hear from a recording is there; Then each listener has to decide how much is he willing to pay to get that last 1% with better setups.
11. No i don't have any experience.
12. Not particularly but i like products with a long standing reputation like the Denon Dl-103, the Rega tonearms etc...
13. I used to like the sound signature of Grado headphones, now i find them unlistenable.
14. My limited experience tells there are good tube amps and good solid state ones; Using the right kind of amp for a certain impedance load is more important.
15. Isis, Neurosis, Black Sabbath, Genesis , Opeth, Yes, Rush...
16. I have two analog sources, one of which derived from a heavily modified 80's TT. I like vinyl as a collectible item but i think modern digital sources can sound as good as a vinyl record, i've compared A/B some of my vinyl rips with the original record using a source switch and it was almost impossible to tell them apart inspite of a full AD/DA stage in between the two. 
17. The DAC built into the 0404Usb is a very good one and the best i've heared. My DIY turntable equipped with a rega RB250 and a Denon dl-103
18. Thomann.de
19. Anyone who contributes to the Music section with valuable suggestions.
20. I don't have any speakers on my computer so i use my dt-990s anytime for everything i do with my PC.
21. Nothing really important.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #44 of 76

Quote:
 there is NO headphone that makes music sound like it did when I used to smoke marijuana, to my GREAT dismay; also, there is no consensus here! the XB500s are either extremely fun or extremely terrible; gather ye multiple opinions

lol... I think the trick is to listen to good headphones while you smoke marijuana

...or not because that would be wrong 
ph34r.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #45 of 76

• Pretty eclectic. Basically everything. Probably listen to classic rock the most though.
  • At my computer mostly. But also on my mp3 player when out and about. 
  • Pretty random. Whenever I have spare time basically.
  • Definitely my set up at home... STX + AD700 (or MS-1 for some types of music)   P.S. If anywhere that sold decent phones in my area would let me audition them it would be totally a different story.
  • atm yes because my speakers were much more expensive than my headphones yet don't sound nearly as good
  • As portables, probably yes. Generally, definitely not.
  • d
  • Creedence - Willy and the poor boys. Don't know why, it's 40 years old and not a particularly high tech recording but I enjoy the "tone". Also Abbey Road. I find a lot of the contemporary music I like just sounds so loud it's distorting if I listen to it too carefully.
  • Depends on the music and my mood. I like having both options.
  • More $$$ spent doesn't equal better stuff.
  • No never heard them.
  • I lack the sort of commitment needed to become a fanboy
  • I've become a lot more picky and a lot more aware of deficiencies in my setup. 
    triportsad.gif
     Besides that, I'm not so obsessed with pounding bass and I appreciate crisp treble a lot more.
  • I haven't heard headphones through a tube amp so not qualified to say.
  • Gogol Bordello, The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blue King Brown, Air
  • My cheap pawn-shop vinyl setup is absolutely no match for the Essence STX in my computer
  • Probably something at a serious hi-fi shop when I still visited them. At that point I would have been paying more attention to the speakers than the source... newbie mistake I suppose.
  • headphones.com.au are pretty good from my limited experience
  • The people who run the place mentioned above are sensible and give pretty sound advice from what I've seen.
  • Mostly music, occasionally games.
  • Probably the occasional pretentiousness and snobbery which is fairly typical of fanatics with a specific interest.  Not much you can do about that I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back