A Head-Fi Survey
Dec 29, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #61 of 76

• What are your musical preferences?

Orchestral, classical, soft rock, vocalists,

• Where do you listen to music mostly?

Computer - 75% of the time, the other 25% is in my car

• What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?

Entirely random.

• As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?

My own setup.

XMPlay -> Turtle Beach USB Soundcard -> Thinksound Rain IEMS

• Do you prefer speakers over headphones?

No....headphones offer more detail on the cheap.  Plus I live in a multiplex apartment...can't have big speakers/loud music.

• Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?

Yes and no.  If I need to hear things around me (walks outdoors) then you don't want IEMs.

• Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener

Moderately low level - I don't like loud music.

• Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.

Anything by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops orchestra.  If not that, then I use Walt Disney World's Fantasmic show cd album.  Its recorded in surround sound and offers layers of instrumentation.

• If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?

No preference...sometimes I want to be nitpicky, sometimes I want to have fun.

• What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?

Haven't learned anything I didn't already know.  I'm not into super hi-fi stuff at all...I don't have the hearing to make such purchases worthwhile.

• Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? 

No experience whatsoever.

• Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?

Thinksound and Sennheiser for the midrange.  I love my midranges which are great for orchestral and vocal performances.

• Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?

No.

• If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?

Tubes are a waste of money IMO.  My computer is plenty good enough.

• List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers

John Barry
John Williams
Joe Hisaishi
James Horner
Leonard Bernstein
Karen Carpenter
Katie Melua
Steve Reid
Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Oh gee, that's more than 5 isn't it? :p

• Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?

Won't touch it.  See my signature.

• What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?

Don't own one.  Again, waste of money.  Its 1's and 0's...it either can translate 1's and 0's into analog music or it can't.

• Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.

Thinksound is awesome.

• Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.

Haven't been around long enough to find anyone (or anyone to find me).

• Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?

Not really.  A movie every now and then, but nothing else.

• Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?

Haven't been around long enough to really gather what I would change.  I like what I'm seeing.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #62 of 76
Answers NOT in bold..

Quote:
  • What are your musical preferences?

Trance, Electronica, Drum and Bass, Rock/Metal, Trip Hop, but I love all genres. If it sounds good, I'll listen to it, simple as that.

• Where do you listen to music mostly?

Home on my Netbook via E7/E9 combo.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?

Random, but usually between 8am-12pm after work. (work night shift so I wind down with music before bed).
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?

Definitely the D7000 with my E7/E9. They are quite a fantastic pair of headphones capable of even sounding great unamped.

• Do you prefer speakers over headphones?

No. I love the intimacy headphones bring.

• Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?

No. Full-sized brings so much more alive than IEMs.

• Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener

D. Though it depends. I like it loud, but I could go louder at times.

• Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.

Pendulum - Salt In The Wounds (to test for bass response and treble peak.)
Nier OST - Wretched Automatons (contemporary classical-eque with an industrial theme. Tests the full range.)

• If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?

Fun. Neutral is boring to me. If you're not going to enjoy the sound, why kid yourself? Go with what YOU like to hear. I like bass and treble emphasis as long as mids aren't non-existent.

• What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?

Upgraditis WILL consume you. Accept it early, because until you start hearing some really good headphones, you're gonna constantly wonder if your setup will start lacking in the future.

• Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? 

No. I do hope to hear an amazing Stax setup at some point, though I don't see myself spending the high amounts of money for one.

• Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?

Fiio. I got into Head-fi at around the same time Fiio started to get serious about bringing quality products at an affordable price. I have grown the same way Fiio as grown. Our relationship is symbiotic, and I have full confidence in them bringing higher end products to us with a budget. I love companies that live off the quality of their products, and not the brand name and exhorbitant prices.

• Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?

Definitely changed. I started off like pretty much everyone else. Big subwoofer bass first, everything else second. I still like bass, but I prefer overall refinement over full quantity. I still think mids here are ridiculously overrated, and the whole mid recession nonsense is blown way out of proportion on here.

• If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?

Though I haven't heard tubes, I like a transparent tone, so I'd say Solid States. I don't want to color the sound of my headphones. They all have their OWN signatures, so I'd let just that color my music, and not worry about altering them with tubes. If I really need to change something in the headphones, I'll just slightly EQ the shortcomings.

• List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers

Hmm, I can't choose. I like so many genres, artists, and composers. I can't decide.
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?

Not experienced.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?

I'm not picky about every little thing and I'm fully happy with my Netbook --> E7/E9 --> Headphones. That's the best I have heard.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.

DEFINITELY Fiio, and Miccastore. Two companies that are VERY dependent on their customers. They go the extra mile to make us happy, so they have earned my trust completely.

• Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.

KBI (I know he's no longer here). He helped a lot when I started here and on AVSForum. I was looking to upgrade my gaming setup (with virtual surround), and his suggestions almost always turned out right.

Mochan: Very helpful, and we had similar taste in things.

Dub Beatz: Because he's a crazy SOB. Love him.

Proglover: Good person with a lot of similar interests.

Riku540: My fellow Fiio enthusiast. When either of us are around, we will happily recommend Fiio products. Together, there's a lot of Fiio love being thrown about, lol. He's gooood. He's also a badass gamer, like me. :wink:

There's plenty of users here who have helped me quite a bit. It would take a long time to fill this list out.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?

Definitely for video games. I started out my love for headphones because they sounded amazing with Dolby Headphone virtual surround. Pretty much every headphone I like HAS to perform well with Dolby Headphone, or I won't be happy.

• Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?

God, PLEASE make it so I can actually post on my phone! I have an Android phone, and almost every web browser I can get allows me to VIEW the forum, but won't let me post. The coding on this site is just....meh. The only browser that works with my phone is REALLY basic and buggy... Takes forever to post something on it. I have a pretty good phone (T-Mobile G2) which just came out a few months ago.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #63 of 76

Quote:
Totally useless when the original questions haven't been quoted in each answer IMO.

Open the original post and read side by side. If everyone did this, then we could get more posts per page. I guess it really doesn't matter though since extra scrolling is just as inconvenient as opening a second window.

Quote:
I enlarged it since I didn't have microscopic vision

I didn't think it was hard too read at all... Ill not use such small font in the future though.   

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #64 of 76
What are your musical preferences?

Edgy alt stuff...alt folk, alt rock, alt country....some that's kind of difficult to put in a box.  Classical. Early Music. Some jazz (not much though). Blues of all sorts. Some World music.   

Where do you listen to music mostly?

Wherever I can.  Probably either office or listening room mostly.

What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?

Entirely random.

As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?

None have distinguished themselves as to make them such a landmark in my memory.  Ask about speakers and I could name half a dozen which I'll not soon forget.  That said I like my current setup just fine and it's as good as anything I've heard. No doubt it could be tweked further.  I'm more into the music than I am into the gear so once I have it close to how I like it I tend to leave it alone and enjoy the music.

Do you prefer speakers over headphones?

No contest. Speakers. The intimacy and engagement comes, for me, in the illusion of presence and reality that only a great speaker rig can provide.  Headphones cannot accomplish this - not even remotely.  Instead they are a more of a total immersion (which can be enjoyable sometimes, certainly) in some much more limited scale and less impactful illusion.  The isolation of the experience to only the aural sense is largely responsible for this, IMO.  I certainly can enjoy this at times, but it just doesn't hold a candle to what speakers do for me. 

Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?

Not enough experience with IEM's to know how good they can sound.  Currently using UE10's which are fine.  I do prefer headphones with the limited experience I have with both.

Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener

Depends entirely on the situation, the music, my mood, etc.  On average I suppose moderately loud if I'm on my own.

Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.

El Cant de la Sibil-La by Montserrat Figueras, Temptation by Holly Cole, Hope There's Someone by Antony, Recycling the Blues by Taj Mahall

If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?

Engaging, is the word I'd use.  It seldom seems to be in the same boat as "Neutral" so I guess a fun sound, though I would not have described it that way otherwise.  HD600 headphones occur to me as "neutral" for instance, and I find them completely dull and uninspiring. Audio Research preamps, again, go down the "neutral" path to the point of sounding analytical to me.  I used SET monoblock amps with very efficient horns for many years and I'd called that one of the most colored presentations of music that I can think of, yet that was very enjoyable for me.  Ultimately it served too narrow a range of music and I now use a more versatile rig which I also profoundly enjoy, but I'd say it is far more toward the transparent than my previous rig.

What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?

I learned how to drive and operate a backhoe / frontloader a few years ago. 

Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? 

I've only heard a few Stax in various rigs over many years of their development, most recently only a few months ago.  They all seemed to stress soundstage and airiness, at the seeming expense of  weight and tone.  No, there have been none that I've heard that have made me want to get a pair myself, but I haven't heard that many.

Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?

No. Whatever delivers the goods, gets out of the way, and brings me closer to the music. I don't give a tinker's cuss who made it.

Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?

Not as the result of joining Head-Fi.  I'd say over the last five to six years my tastes in sound quality have moved toward a more accurate bias, rather than having an emphasis on warmth and certain pleasing distortions.  I'd still not say my tastes run towards "neutral" though.

If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?

They both can provide an excellent platform.  Either could be terrible as well.  Beyond that such generalizing about a particular "sound", well, it's just generalizing.  There are qualities of both topologies that I enjoy very much.  There are also great hybrid alternatives.  System synergy will play a big roll here.  The generalization does not dictate what all components using that topology will sound like.  That's just speculation.  Best thing to do is to listen yourself with the rest of your own gear to see how any one component actually sounds. 

List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers

Oh, come on, just five?  Tom Waits, J.S. Bach, Anouar Brahem, Antony, David Eugene Edwards, Maynard James Keenan, Richard Thompson, Jordi Savall, Madredeus, Joanna Newsom, Patty Griffin, Beethoven, Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, Saint-Saens, Debussy,Gillian Welch, Muddy Waters......  Sorry, I could not sum up "favorites" in just five.

Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?

Yes and yes. It's a bit of a PITA to maintain and store the software, and keep everything clean and  dust-free. Time is short, I'd rather spend it listening, not cleaning, alligning cartridges and resleaving LP's.

What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?

I heard an MBL system (using an MBL DAC and transport) that sounded pretty spectacular (I became completely unaware that I was listening to an illusion, much less a digitaly generated illusion).  Both DAC's I use now utilize PCM 1704 chips which I tend to gravitate towards the sound of.   Dedicated Source? - I prefer the better vinyl rigs I've heard.

Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.

TTVJ -  I'd definitely do more business with him and point others his way.  Jack Woo.

Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.

I don't know that I'm active enough here to make such an evaluation. I always enjoy a good Kirosia post to make me laugh.  Achristilaw has been very generous in sharing opinions and experience with me.  There are many very generous contributors here who seem level-headed and devoted to the hobby and knowing how much time it takes to do some of the things they're doing, I very much appreciate that effort. Among those, just off the top of my head, Skylab, UncleErik and HappyCamper come to mind. 

Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?

Desk ornament. Dust collector. Ear warmer. Chick magnet.

Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?

More cowbell!

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #65 of 76

1.  I listen to mostly Jazz, Classical, and Acoustic

1. The music room

1. Random; from early to late

As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?
  1.  I haven't had the pleasure to hear many setups so as of now it is the one in my signature

1. No

1. No

Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
  1. I would say b

1. Diana Krall – So Nice, Beethoven’s 6th Pastoral

If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?
  1. Neutral with a slight tip of warmth

What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?
  1. It is easy to be consumed in looking for new gear and to neglect the current.

Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? 
  1. I don’t have any experience

1. As far as headphones no; for cables, I am a Cardas fanboy. I believe he has the most merit in his designs and produces quality products.

Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?
  1. Not particularly, but it has brought to my attention the magnitude of differences better gear can bring.

1. Solid state

1. Beethoven, Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Slightly Stoopid, Jack Johnson

Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?
  1. No experience

What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?
  1. At this moment my Burson 160D

Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.
  1. Cardas, I was able to interview George a while back and he was surprisingly willing to help me.

Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.
  1. I would say that there are many head-fiers that I respect such as nick_charles and digger945.

Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?
  1. I primarily use them for music

Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?
  1. Implement a “get back to your music” warning  
    tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #66 of 76

Quote:
Open the original post and read side by side. If everyone did this, then we could get more posts per page.

Okay, then let's save even more precious space
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
1.  Primarily: rock, folk, blues - anything pre 80s.  2.  Half at my desk, and half on the go. 3.  Random 4.  HP2 on high-end rig (FallenAngel), and Stax Lamda Nova (on my relatively low-end rig) 5.  Yes 6.  No 7.  B, I have to lower the digital volume always in order to turn the amp's pot enough to get past channel imbalance (current amp has +3 gain).  8.  I don't have a single track that can cover all qualities I want tested. 9.  Fun 10.  Going to a meet will save you MUCH time and money vs buying/selling... 11.  Yes, in general. I've heard several Lamdas, 02, and others I am not sure. Exceptions that I've heard would include AKG K1000 and HP2 (not superior in all aspects, just prefer in some). 12.  No. 13.  Yes. 14.  N/A 15.  N/A 16.  N/A 17.  N/A 18.  Head-Direct 19.  FallenAngel 20.  Videogames 21.  Better search engine and design layout! 

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #67 of 76

Quote:

Quote:
Open the original post and read side by side. If everyone did this, then we could get more posts per page.

Okay, then let's save even more precious space
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
1.  Primarily: rock, folk, blues - anything pre 80s.  2.  Half at my desk, and half on the go. 3.  Random 4.  HP2 on high-end rig (FallenAngel), and Stax Lamda Nova (on my relatively low-end rig) 5.  Yes 6.  No 7.  B, I have to lower the digital volume always in order to turn the amp's pot enough to get past channel imbalance (current amp has +3 gain).  8.  I don't have a single track that can cover all qualities I want tested. 9.  Fun 10.  Going to a meet will save you MUCH time and money vs buying/selling... 11.  Yes, in general. I've heard several Lamdas, 02, and others I am not sure. Exceptions that I've heard would include AKG K1000 and HP2 (not superior in all aspects, just prefer in some). 12.  No. 13.  Yes. 14.  N/A 15.  N/A 16.  N/A 17.  N/A 18.  Head-Direct 19.  FallenAngel 20.  Videogames 21.  Better search engine and design layout! 

It wasn't about space - it was about scrolling. I guess it's different when you are using a small laptop like me, just like when certain people have poorer eyesight and need the larger font.

nickchen . . . !

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #68 of 76
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #70 of 76

• What are your musical preferences?   - classical, jazz, hawaiian, club-style acoustic-vocals, alternate rock, classic rock, 80s pop & rock 
  • Where do you listen to music mostly?   - at home, at the computer (lo-fi), rarely while driving
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?   - evenings at home, at the computer, or occasionally on the road
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?   -R10 (bass light), Stax, not mine  
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones?   -speakers absolutely, but headphones have an important place
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?   -I have been impressed by the various etys, but they basically have no place in my listening habits 
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener    - Average vol, with higher levels sessions regularly and appropriately 
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.   - Sonny Rollins-Way Out West, Norah Jones- Come Away With Me, Mahler, Vivaldi, Haydn...
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?    - Not Neutral, which I see becoming an over-simplification as well as a knee-jerk shibboleth. Its like discussing the concept of "freedom" in your freshman polsc 100 course. What I am looking for, is my own sense of what is refined and pleasing. 
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?    - Meets and mini-meets can facilitate your experience and knowledge base to a great degree--it may help eliminate frustration through more thoughtful experimentation
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?   - Yes. My brief time with stats, have indicated that I will eventually have to bite the bullet in quite a substantial manner so as to come to a thorough understanding of it sound, vis a vis my own needs.
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?    - No
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?    - Absolutely, I now find that hi-fi and mid-fi both have their places depending on my moods and musical needs for a particular session. I mostly prefer my higher end components for serious listening, as opposed to background listening.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?   - Tube equipment has proven to get me to where I want to be, with a much easier degree of success
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers    - Mozart, Haydn, Vivaldi, The Beatles, Bob Marley
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?    -I have a pretty impressive all original 60s to 1st-end-of-vinyl LP collection. Still no TT (yet)
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?    - AudioNote CD-3.1X (cdp), last residing in my ex-speaker system. 
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. Venus HiFi for both my current Yamamoto HA-01. and in the past, the AudioNote CD-3.1X
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.    - my old buddy member Vertigo-1, who has unwittingly  provided much guidance in my experiences by sharing his substantial audio equipment as well as his clear and concise impressions which helped greatly to integrate my sometimes diffused and not very articulate focus
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?    -no
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?    N/A

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #71 of 76

• What are your musical preferences?  Yikes - Most electronica, blues, ambient types (Alan Parsons Project lately...)
  • Where do you listen to music mostly?  In my "office" and in the Jeep....
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?  Morning drive, evening drive, and pretty much all evening long....say 7PM to 11PM....
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?  Yes, I do love my setup - iMac w/ ALAC encoded tracks -> Zero DAC/AMP / -> Darkvoice 332 (if I'm feeling tubey)....
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones?  Nope.  I love the private audience you get in cans.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?  Having a few of both, it really is left to the environment...traveling is IEM, home is full size.
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener  Errr....b and c....my ears fatigue easily as of late....
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.  Pink Floyd, DSOTM; Norah Jones, The Fall; a few of the various Lo-Fi/Lounge compilations I've picked up.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system?  Fun.  Music is about enjoyment, right?
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?  That there are some seriously opinionated people out there....hahaha...but really, that source material matters, and not all sources are close to the same.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? None.  Budget constraints....though I'd sure love to try em out!
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?  Apple.  Wait, did that really come out?  When it comes to cans, I'm still experimenting slowly.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?  Yup.  I was not into the soundstage and detail before, and now I'm craving it more and more.  Also, that basshead me is gone, and I'm looking for a balanced sound now.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?  I'd have to lean solid state...
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers  Eric Clapton, Norah Jones, Pink Floyd, NIN/Trent Reznor, Sia Furler, Zero Seven (wait, thats 6 
    redface.gif
    )
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?  Not yet....though I have access to some...
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?  I have a customer with some Meridian equipment thats pretty nice - 518 and a few other numbers....
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.  The folks at HeadRoom had some good recommendations...love the site too, great details.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.  Dantztiludrop - bought my Zero from him and he was very, very helpful and polite....amazing response time too!
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?  A couple of times a year I do some recording/home studio type work.  I wont' call it mastering, but detail work and mixing are part of it.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?  A more organized meet section - maybe by state or something?  Other than that its pretty darn good!

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #72 of 76

Indie, alternative, rock, pop and hip-hop mainly but have started listening to classical and jazz.
Bedroom.
Ungodly hours, usually anywhere between 11pm to 5am.
As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?
HD650 from Audio-GD Fun with Moon opamp. Yes.
Out of necessity, yes.
No.
Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener
Moderately low.
Diana Krall Live in Paris, The Rolling Stones Exile on Main St.
Fun.
Everyone here is full of it.
No. Don't know.
I'm a fanboy of the gear I own/have owned but not so much a particular brand.
Yes. I thought a V shaped EQ was the crap. I love my mids now more than any aspect of sound.
No experience with tubes so SS for now.
 At the moment? The National, Vampire Weekend, Chopin, Big Boi, Rihanna (lol).
No experience.
Audio-GD FUN. Yes.
Audio-GD, language barrier be damned!
les_garten
I use headphones occasionally for movies and gaming, but 80% is for music.
Mobile version, separate headphone recommendation sub-forum, no thread creation privileges for junior members (sorry).

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #73 of 76
1 ) I listen to most everything excluding country, jazz, metal, and classical.

Favorites are: Coldplay, Fray, Tool, Talib Kweli, Tech N9ne, and Crossfade.

2) At my home computer or work desktop. 

3) 5-9 during the week plus whenever I'm not obligated to listen to people.

4) Denon D5000s. Own them.

5) Yes

6) No

7) Moderately-Loud

8) B.O.B. Airplanes, LilWayne-A Milli, and Everlast-What its like

9) Fun sound

10) Bass is about more than making the floor shake

11) Nope

12) Starting to become a Fiio fanboy. Love the price/quality ratio since I'm on a college student budget. 

13) Less of an emphases on sub-woofer like bass.

14) Solid State because I'm lazy.

15) Coldplay, Tool, The Fray, Fort Minor, S.O.A.D

16) Nope

17) My own. E7/E9. Probably will stick with it though college.

18) Fiio. Cheap, do what they say they will do, and allow me to afford quality audio equipment. 

19) Umm. Too many to count?

20) Gaming occasionally. Don't realy care about it though since I usually listen to music while gameing. Who needs to be able to head footsteps to kick ass?

21) Find some way to show the hidden amazon prices? Not sure if thats legal though. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #74 of 76

• What are your musical preferences? indie.
  • Where do you listen to music mostly? in my brother's room.
  • What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random? at night, when i get off of work.
  • As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own? grado sr80i, with a really cheap headphone amplifier that was included as an "accessory" in my friend's jacket. i've never heard a decent setup before.
  • Do you prefer speakers over headphones? when i am in motion, yes.
  • Do you prefer IEMs over headphones? no way! headphones are sexier. 
    wink.gif
  • Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener? moderately loud-level listener. 
  • Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear. camera obscura's "double feature." it's my favorite son in the world and i use it to test gear out.
  • If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? neutral, "fun" doesn't "sound" fun at all.
  • What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice? you can never be satisfied. there is also many placebos.
  • Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally? not yet.
    rolleyes.gif
  • Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why? sennheiser, because of their build quality and excellent customer service. plus, they make the best headphone in the world.
  • Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how? i used to be a 320kbps kind of guy, now i am a lossless guy.
  • If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound? tube, even though i've never heard one.
  • List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers: camera obscura, the strokes, nirvana, dinosaur jr, and joy division.
  • Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard? nope.
  • What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own? i can't comment, i'm not that experienced yet.
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well. sennheiser!
  • Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you. krmathis, tangent.
  • Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for? strictly music.
  • Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future? improve forum software, decrease number of "best headphones for ~$50 threads." 

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #75 of 76

• [size=10.0pt]What are your musical preferences?  Indie, Rock, Alternative, some Hip-Hop, Orchestral/Symphonic.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Where do you listen to music mostly?  In my room or walking to classes.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]What hours do you usually listen the most or is it totally random?  Pretty much random, depends when I have class/free time.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]As of this date (date which you respond), what is the best headphone set up you've heard and was it your own?  Considering I haven't had a decent set of headphones until now, and don't know anyone with quality headphones (a lot of beats and bose), it would have to be my own with a brand spankin' new pair of Phiaton MS 400's.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Do you prefer speakers over headphones?  Until I received my MS 400's, I was always a speaker guy.  Now, I feel like I'm going to listen to my headphones a lot more.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Do you prefer IEMs over headphones?  Again, until I got my MS 400's, I only ever had IEMs.  But now, I like headphones more.  I find them more comfortable and easier to listen to.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Would you call yourself an a) Extremely low-level listener / b) Moderately low-level listener / c) Average volume listener / d) Moderately loud-level listener / e) Extremely loud-level listener:  Average volume listener.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Name a Recording or two which you generally use to test your gear.  Not exactly sure, I haven't had gear to test before.  I'll figure that out quickly though I suppose, now that I have a decent set of headphones that need testing.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]If you had to choose, do you tend to find yourself seeking a fun sound or a neutral sound out of your system? I'd rather see (hear?) a fun sound.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]What is one thing you've learned since joining head-fi which may not be obvious to a head-fi novice?  Every pair of headphones has a pretty unique sound, even if most people can't tell the difference.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Do you have experience with Electrostatic headphones and if so, do you like them more than dynamic generally?  No experience to my knowledge.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Are you a "fanboy" / "fangirl" of a particular brand and if so which and why?  Not particularly.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Has your taste in sound quality changed over time or since joining head-fi? If so, how?  We'll see in the coming months, I just bought my first set of headphones.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]If you were pressed to decide, do you prefer tube sound or solid state sound?  If I knew the difference, I'd probably have an opinion.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]List 5 of your favorite music artists or composers:  Dave Matthews Band, Kamelot, Muse, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Blink-182.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Are you experienced with vinyl and if so do you prefer it to any DAC you've heard?  I have listened to a few AC/DC and Led Zeppelin vinyls, but it was a while ago and honestly I can't remember.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]What is the best DAC, CD Player or Dedicated Source you've ever heard? Is it your own?  Not exactly sure.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Please take the time out to commend at least one company/retailer who you feel has serviced you well.  I don't have any experience with headphone companies yet, as I am new to the whole "audiophile" thing.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Please take the time out to commend at least one head-fier whose posts or email correspondence has helped you.  Armaegis and swbf2cheater for their detailed reviews and comparisons leading to my purchase of the Phiaton MS 400's as my first pair of headphones.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Do you use headphones often for more than just listening to music?  If so, what do you use them for?  I often used IEM's in order to watch movies or tv shows online while in my dorm, and I feel like I will use my new headphones for the same reason.[/size]
  • [size=10.0pt]Lastly, what changes / improvements (if any) do you think would make head-fi even more effective for you in the future?  Create a post pre-requisite before allowing new members to create threads, as to stop the "best headphones for ~$50" threads, as cowjuan mentioned.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back