A debate that needs settling
Aug 17, 2010 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ACoolName

New Head-Fier
I'll try to make this as unbiased as possible:

My brother and I are having a debate on which 'phones are better. To truly settle it, I decided that it was best we heard some opinions and reasons from the knowledgeable users of Head-Fi.org.

My brother says that the Beats by Dr. Dre Studio headphones and his Beats by Dr. Dre Tour™ in-ear headphones are as good, or better, than my Grado SR60s and Sony MDR-7506s.

He has stated that the only opinions that will count will be those from people who have listened to the SR60s or 7506s and the Studio or Tour™ 'phones. He also requests for the cost of each pair of headphones to be completely disregarded.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 14
Well, I have SR325is instead of SR60, and I would say that- just kidding!
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 14
I haven't heard the tours or 7506s but I did like my pair of SR60i's better than the Beats my friend let me try. That's just my opinion though. If he likes the beats better than your cans cool and if you like your cans better than beats cool. There is no right answer in audio.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 14
If money isn't an option, the SR225i's.

But within your list, the 60i's.

:)

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 14
I would honestly expect the Grado SR60, the MDR-7506 and the Beats Studio to all be on the same level or so.

My opinion doesn't count though. I haven't heard -any- of these headphones.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm probably going to be flamed, but. I personally felt that the Beats Studios sounded better than my SR80's, and I'm also making the assumption that SR80 is more refined from its SR60 counterpart. Therefore, I'm going to stand by my statement that the Studios are better. I have not heard the Sony MDR-7506s, so I can't offer any comments on that. 

But of course, my HD 650's sound way better than the beats, and I'm sure the 325's also sound better.  

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 14
Each pair of Beats headphones are hand-crafted by Dr. Dre himself, therefore they are better. You also get the piece of mind knowing an actual doctor made them!

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 14
Oh boy.  Can you get your brother to a meet?  It would not take long before he reevaluated his headphone worldview.  We wouldn't have to argue, either.  Just sit him down and start putting headphones on him.

Anyhow, yes, I've heard all of these.  I've given the SR-60 to several family members and friends and owned the MDR-V6 for years, which is almost the same as the 7506.  I voted for the 7506, but mostly because I eventually tired of the Grado house sound.  Don't get me wrong - a lot of people enjoy it - but I eventually burned out.  I still enjoy the sound of the Sonys, though.

The Monster stuff is pretty awful.  It's designed for one thing and only one thing, bass response.  Or, I should say, bass loudness.  Because the response really isn't very good or tight.  It just makes a loud fuzzy noise.  The loud fuzzy noise drowns out the mids and highs, but the people who generally buy them don't care as long as the bass is really loud.  If that's what your brother enjoys, then let him.

But there's a whole lot more to music than fuzzy bass notes.

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 14
Have I heard any of them? No.

Do I know who's getting the best value? Well, definitely not the Monster buyer.

Quote:
Each pair of Beats headphones are hand-crafted by Dr. Dre himself, therefore they are better. You also get the piece of mind knowing an actual doctor made them!

Nice one!

Quote:
Oh boy.  Can you get your brother to a meet?  It would not take long before he reevaluated his headphone worldview.  We wouldn't have to argue, either.  Just sit him down and start putting headphones on him.

Anyhow, yes, I've heard all of these.  I've given the SR-60 to several family members and friends and owned the MDR-V6 for years, which is almost the same as the 7506.  I voted for the 7506, but mostly because I eventually tired of the Grado house sound.  Don't get me wrong - a lot of people enjoy it - but I eventually burned out.  I still enjoy the sound of the Sonys, though.

The Monster stuff is pretty awful.  It's designed for one thing and only one thing, bass response.  Or, I should say, bass loudness.  Because the response really isn't very good or tight.  It just makes a loud fuzzy noise.  The loud fuzzy noise drowns out the mids and highs, but the people who generally buy them don't care as long as the bass is really loud.  If that's what your brother enjoys, then let him.

That is pretty much your answer right there.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 14
I would buy the Beats Studios, sell them, buy the Grado SR-80's and spend the difference on music to listen to.
:wink:

I am extremely, extremely familiar with all the headphones mentioned.

The Beats Studios are not bad when used intelligently.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

You are correct, here are some pictures I took of the good doctor himself, hand assembling the Studios;

So, they are hand built, and each and every one is checked multiple times and listened to during the manufacturing process.  The best thing about the Studios is they have their own head-amp built in, so you don't need to buy a separate amp to enjoy them fully.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:

Uncle Erik, you are not entirely correct...  We should talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back