$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #61 of 6,549
If it is such a problem how come the Studio v 3rd sounds so good ? Pretty sure it has a much higher output impedance...and it certainly beats the DX50..(in my opinion). Probably a much more powerful amp too though i guess.. I think it will be a case of waiting for a review by an experienced headfier..and not rushing to buy based on spec....especially at that money. I do really like visual aspect of this because most DAPs are pretty ugly..  

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #62 of 6,549
  If it is such a problem how come the Studio v 3rd sounds so good ? Pretty sure it has a much higher output impedance...and it certainly beats the DX50..(in my opinion). Probably a much more powerful amp too though i guess.. I think it will be a case of waiting for a review by an experienced headfier..and not rushing to buy based on spec....especially at that money. I do really like visual aspect of this because most DAPs are pretty ugly..  

Are you using it with low impedance monitors?

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #64 of 6,549
The DX100 clocked in at >1 ohm and the DX50 has so far only been measured by a Russian site I had never heard of before. I'm looking forward to seeing what ClieOS makes of it. As long as I'm using it with an amp, it's a moot point, but a $999 DAP sure as hell should be the best thing ever with (c)iems.

3 ohms is theoretically ok with my 35ohm ciems, but what if I decide to get something like the 12 ohm Merlin again or go nuts on the 8ohm K3003?

Fair points, one should expect a 1k dap to work well with 1k iems not hinder them with the output impedance. Mind pointing me to where the dx100 was measured under 1 ohm? Because the random Russian site measured it as 2 ohm :p

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #65 of 6,549
3 ohms is theoretically ok with my 35ohm ciems, but what if I decide to get something like the 12 ohm Merlin again or go nuts on the 8ohm K3003?

Due to the small transducer size, IEM actually is very well dampened mechanically, so even if it doesn't meet the 8x rule you will probably still be fine. The main issue is however how much current the player is able to supply to such low impedance load. A lot of the time it is because of the amp section inability to drive the low impedance CIEM very tightly that results in degradation of SQ rather than the lack of dampening. Also, higher impedance tends to mess with the passive crossover circuit in IEM, which of course is not a good thing.

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #67 of 6,549
  For the record, the DX50 has an OI of 0.41 ohms, as measured by Seeko with a DSIII.
http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=372

awesome thanks for that, although from those stats it is quite possible that it is the line out being measured, instead of the headphone out, and since I don't know Korean I cant read whats going on :p

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #70 of 6,549

well yeah LO in general have a higher impedance, but my favorite dodgy russian site claims DX50 line out is 0 ohms. I wish there were some proper english measurements to go off, not korean and russian :p

If it is 0 ohm, it usually won't make for a good line-out. Typically you want a few hundreds ohm on the line-out. Then again, I am not sure their measurement is that accurate at all.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #71 of 6,549
SUBSCRIBED !!!

i want to hear it first but if Calyx does what it does with all other gear they produce this baby may kill all iRivers, iBasso and else... i am excited and hopefully Calyx will show us what makes high-end so good. besides Calyx price can show iRiver what competition is all about.

i would not jump on fast conclusions concerning impedance and some of you already pointed to other brands having similar 2 or 3 ohms so no rush before we hear it.

my 999$ are booked instantly.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #72 of 6,549

If it is 0 ohm, it usually won't make for a good line-out. Typically you want a few hundreds ohm on the line-out. Then again, I am not sure their measurement is that accurate at all.

Yea, I've heard, I look forward to you testing the dx50 and getting some concrete stats on it, it does sound great though :)

SUBSCRIBED !!!

i want to hear it first but if Calyx does what it does with all other gear they produce this baby may kill all iRivers, iBasso and else... i am excited and hopefully Calyx will show us what makes high-end so good. besides Calyx price can show iRiver what competition is all about.

i would not jump on fast conclusions concerning impedance and some of you already pointed to other brands having similar 2 or 3 ohms so no rush before we hear it.

Yea! hopefully it won't take too many months after the CES announcement for this to be available, because I want that gorgeous screen in my grubby paws ASAP, I'm not even going to wait for impressions, want to be the first person with one, as unlikely as that is  
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #73 of 6,549
SUBSCRIBED !!!

It is still an expensive dap, cheaper than iRiver high end AK120 but expensive nonetheless, what makes it more bearable and attractive is its specs.

I think it's clever to put the price in the title, if the amount scares you you won't even bother digging in. :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #74 of 6,549
It is still an expensive dap, cheaper than iRiver high end AK120 but expensive nonetheless, what makes it more bearable and attractive is its specs.

I think it's clever to put the price in the title, if the amount scares you you won't even bother digging in.
smily_headphones1.gif

look for 999$ Calyx comes between DX100 and H901.... AK120 price is insane and i want to be sure i get what i pay for, i already took RWAK and paid enough before learning about AK120 two months later, and bloody iRiver even did not pre-announce it so i ended up with RWAK which i love but i could have jumped straight to AK120 if was informed properly.

now Calyx is true high end company and iRiver AK is just portable audio etc but is no close to high end... so i hope Calyx will put something to what i am more used to. AK120 and pricing and product policies of iRiver make me feel shy a bit. i have RWAK so no rush and if i like Calyx then i better send RWAK for B mod to Vinnie to have both of best worlds :D

and i see no reason paying 1400$ when i can pay 1000$ for similar or better. i guess iRiver simply had too much greed ... so lets see how it  goes now but i am not a buyer of AK anymore before i hear Calyx.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #75 of 6,549
I am with you on that, now the RWAK120-B that's a whole different story. You won't have that kind of specs even with the Calyx M except for native DSD. The balance aspect of it will be untouchable until someone else implements it in their design. Not that the complete solution is cheap, it isn't but it starts looking like the dap end game. If I could stop chasing the illusive best, this one would be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back