7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #3,616 of 4,270
I like my AE, but I’m also liking the Hexa. I’ve been using the Hexa more lately, partly because I need to put hours on them to break in the dynamic driver. They’ve already improved a ton, but I think they have more to give. They are ridiculous for $79 though. Very very impressive. At first I thought the Hexa sounded bad with metal, but now they sound great with metal, so something definitely changed with them.

So which Depeche Mode songs or album do you recommend? I’ve heard some of their stuff in the past, but I don’t know their library very well.
Just hear the best-of album. It‘s a good start :)

The Timeless AE is good for black/death metal.
The vocals are very full and thick. Deep voices are awesome to listen at. I can now finally understand Cannibal Corpse after all this years. 😂

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #3,617 of 4,270
You all should try the Timeless AE with Depeche Mode, it's an amazing experience!
After more hours, they slightly opened up a bit on the treble, which is not by much but still noticeable. I'm happier with them now.

They are amazing for some tracks on my playlist and for others they are ''just'' good. The Aria Snow is more of an allrounder. The Timeless AE is unique and exotic compared to the Aria Snow, which isn’t a bad thing. Overall the Timeless AE is better, but different.

The Timeless AE is for now my Endgame IEM.
I still have my eyes on the Aful Performer5 and the Truthear Hexa. My price limit for iem's would be the Thieaudio Oracle MKII. Mid-fi iem's are rare in Germany. There's just the Oracle MKII (which is sold out since a while on a german shop…), the Dunu SA6 and the Variations. If I want to buy an 500$ iem directly from china, I must pay around 130$ for taxes/duties!
Try it with Pink Floyd! At Pompeii live. Or David Gilmour's concerts in Gdansk.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,619 of 4,270
I listed my 7Hz Timeless AE in the classified, it wow'ed me with its bass. I will most likely upgrade to the Supermoon, or are there any rumours of upcoming highend planar IEM's?

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #3,620 of 4,270
I listed my 7Hz Timeless AE in the classified, it wow'ed me with its bass. I will most likely upgrade to the Supermoon, or are there any rumours of upcoming highend planar IEM's?
Have you tried the Hook-X or the HBB Hook-X?

Edit: They aren't really priced as high-end, but I can tell you that they certainly sound high-end (to me anyhow).

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #3,621 of 4,270
I had the Raptor Hook -X for a short time and wasn't impressed that much, the timbre was really metallic. That's the one thing i hope that the Supermoon (maybe other TOTL planar IEM's) can fix, still have the transparent planar bass with a more natural sounding midrange.

Feb 19, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #3,622 of 4,270
I guess my ears are bad. I don’t hear anything metallic. People said the same about the Elex and I didn’t hear it either.

Feb 19, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #3,623 of 4,270
Sometimes it's only really noticable if you A/B test with a non planar. I don' hate it, but i'd rather have a more natural presentation. I read that the OG Timeless had it the most. The AE version is better. Planar technology in IEM's is new, in headphones it has advanced so much that they have completely negated it, the Susvara for example is one of the most natural sounding headphones - a planar. Maybe i'm too early for that when it comes to IEM's, but i really enjoy the transparent and clean planar bass.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #3,624 of 4,270
I guess my ears are bad. I don’t hear anything metallic. People said the same about the Elex and I didn’t hear it either.
Same here. I do not hear that at all. I actually find the Hook-X to be very natural sounding. Some have reported hearing a tizzy, fuzzy sound up top too, but I also don't hear that.
Sometimes it's only really noticable if you A/B test with a non planar. I don' hate it, but i'd rather have a more natural presentation. I read that the OG Timeless had it the most. The AE version is better. Planar technology in IEM's is new, in headphones it has advanced so much that they have completely negated it, the Susvara for example is one of the most natural sounding headphones - a planar. Maybe i'm too early for that when it comes to IEM's, but i really enjoy the transparent and clean planar bass.
You could give a try to the OG grandaddy planar IEM that started the planar IEM craze.. The Tinhifi P1 (you can still get them new from Linsoul). They don't have huge bass, but they are an enigma. They are detail monsters, but are very very smooth. They don't have the same general sound signature that the three big ones share (S12, Timeless, Hook-X).

Just my $.02

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #3,625 of 4,270
Hmmm, as an EU guy it's not that easy. They are also marked as "sold out". There are other different versions like the max, or plus, or whatever, but a quick google search said that they are not strictly better.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #3,626 of 4,270
Hmmm, as an EU guy it's not that easy. They are also marked as "sold out". There are other different versions like the max, or plus, or whatever, but a quick google search said that they are not strictly better.
They are not better. Tinhifi couldn't match the magic that was the OG P1.... Did you check AE also?

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #3,627 of 4,270
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #3,628 of 4,270
Hmmm, that's a bit "how desperate am i wanting to hear them" ahahaha.
Maybe. Maybe not. I'll check some reviews, maybe i'll find some comparisons versus the Timeless.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #3,629 of 4,270
Hmmm, that's a bit "how desperate am i wanting to hear them" ahahaha.
Maybe. Maybe not. I'll check some reviews, maybe i'll find some comparisons versus the Timeless.
I have them both, and I can say that they aren't tuned the same at all really. The P1 are more neutral and linear across the board. The timeless has some spikes that stand out... I would say that the P1 are more analytical in nature (even though they are very smooth in presentation), and the Timeless are more emotional.

They both have some good thump in the mid bass, but the P1 have tighter, more controlled bass (though less in quantity than the Timeless). The Timeless are closer to a V presentation with the mids recessed a bit, where the P1 (while not totally forward) have a more even and very clean mids. Neither are really boosted in the pina area. Treble is where the P1 are just tuned better than the Timeless. The Timeless rely more on spikes to give the perception of airyness, where the P1 are fairly linear, making the treble less spikey. Transitions are better on the P1.

If you liked the quantity of bass the Timeless and wouldn't consider less, then maybe the P1 aren't for you. The P1 have the bass, it is just at a lower volume (it isn't missing), and when called for they can get deep. Both sets take to EQ very well.

The P1 have much better imaging and separation, but the staging is about equal (meaning both are fairly intimate). For my ears, there is nothing offensive about the P1 (but they aren't boring). The Timeless had a huge mid bass hump, and a treble spike that could be fatiguing sometimes. The P1 are a lot more clear without ever becoming fatiguing, than they have a right to. Detail retrieval easily goes to the P1 (both macro and micro).

The Timeless are much easier to drive than the P1. You can drive the P1 out of a phone, but you will not get the full potential out of them until you give them a bit more power. Of course this is true for all planar head gear really. Fitment is about the same (for my ears). They both have really short stems. Both stock cables aren't that good, but the P1 is a bit better IMO. The Timeless are about double the price of the P1 (now). The Timeless are tuned very similarly to many of the contemporary planars, where the P1 are pretty different than any other out there currently (though some have tried to duplicate their legendary status).

Sorry for the random(ness) of the paragraphs, I was just trying to type things I thought of at the time of writing this. Bottom line is that you may or may not like them, but as for me, I will not give mine up ever. They remind me of a great set of Hifiman HE400 series headphone in their tuning. This is actually what got me interested in them to begin with. I was looking for a set of IEMs that sound like my HE400S (not the 400SE, the 400, or the 400I), and these come pretty darned close to that.

You can check out the OG thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tin-hifi-p1-impressions.909334/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back