7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #3,586 of 4,265
Most people don't realize that it doesn't take as much power to push head gear as is professed by some. For instance, for some 300ohm headphones with a 102dB/mW sensitivity, you really only need (to reach a whopping 110dBSPL):
  • 7mW
  • 1.45VRMS
  • 4.8mA
Now, this doesn't account for the voltage swing that you would get (at differing frequencies) and remember with planars the voltage doesn't swing up or down, it the is the current that swings (the opposite of DD, where current draw is steady). Also, keep in mind that this only means that you can drive them to that dB level. It doesn't mean they will sound good or bad. These are calculations on paper, and IRL they might be slightly different.
I’ve done math like this in the past when I was using a Q701 and HD650 and was proving the same point about not really needing tons of power. These numbers for the Timeless still aren’t making sense to me though.

Anyway, I’ve figured out the fit with these and they are comfortable now. Now I just need a pair that doesn’t have an issue on the right side. The comfort issue was me trying to shove them too deep into my ear holes. As of right now I have no issues with comfort with the tips that come installed in the box. So yay.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #3,587 of 4,265
The Hexa, even though it graphs fairly bassy, the bass feels bass light. They also just feel somehow more fatiguing, but less dynamic.
How long did you burn your Hexa in? Afaik DDs require burn-in more than planars, especially since there's an LCP inside the Hexa. I haven't got the AE, but only the OG Timeless and they are way more fatiguing than Hexa, even when I eq the Timeless. Hexas with Spinfit eartips which are more comfy than stock ones.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #3,588 of 4,265
How long did you burn your Hexa in? Afaik DDs require burn-in more than planars, especially since there's an LCP inside the Hexa. I haven't got the AE, but only the OG Timeless and they are way more fatiguing than Hexa, even when I eq the Timeless. Hexas with Spinfit eartips which are more comfy than stock ones.
I haven’t given the Hexa much time yet. They could improve. I’m not done with them yet. I actually think they’ll do good for jazz the way the sound right now.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #3,589 of 4,265
So I’m really like the Timeless AE. I’ve figured out the fit so now the comfort is perfectly fine. They are quick and easy to put in and take out. The first few days I was shoving them way too deep into my ears which was complicating the fit and comfort. The sound is great with very minimal EQ.

I just really hope the replacement pair I have coming mid week don’t have the same issue I’m having with the crackling on the right side.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #3,590 of 4,265
So I’m really like the Timeless AE. I’ve figured out the fit so now the comfort is perfectly fine. They are quick and easy to put in and take out. The first few days I was shoving them way too deep into my ears which was complicating the fit and comfort. The sound is great with very minimal EQ.

I just really hope the replacement pair I have coming mid week don’t have the same issue I’m having with the crackling on the right side.
So, what tips did you end up as your end game for these?

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #3,591 of 4,265
So, what tips did you end up as your end game for these?
Been using the ones that come installed. I used a set of comply foam tips one night and they made me realize that I was trying to achieve way too deep of a fit with the silicone tips, so then I tried the stock silicone tips again, just with them not shoved deep into my ear holes.

My fit issues are now solved, and sound is great. I now just need a pair that’s 100%.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #3,592 of 4,265
Been using the ones that come installed. I used a set of comply foam tips one night and they made me realize that I was trying to achieve way too deep of a fit with the silicone tips, so then I tried the stock silicone tips again, just with them not shoved deep into my ear holes.

My fit issues are now solved, and sound is great. I now just need a pair that’s 100%.
My ears are fairly small to medium, but my ear canal is very small, and shaped funny to boot. I have to have deep insertion, or they will not seal properly at all. I have had this problem a lot with TWS because most have oversized but short tips that sit just outside the ear canal with a small taper to seal (also shorter so they fit into the case). This sort of seal issue also follows with IEMs that have a short stem. These fall into that category for me.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #3,593 of 4,265
My ears are fairly small to medium, but my ear canal is very small, and shaped funny to boot. I have to have deep insertion, or they will not seal properly at all. I have had this problem a lot with TWS because most have oversized but short tips that sit just outside the ear canal with a small taper to seal (also shorter so they fit into the case). This sort of seal issue also follows with IEMs that have a short stem. These fall into that category for me.
Gotcha. I think I was used to the deep insertion of my Etymotic ER4SR. I’d say the Timeless fits more shallow like an AirPods Pro. My ear pain with the Timeless was definitely from me trying to fit them too deeply. I wasn’t an issue with the nozzle and ear canal, it was parts of the disc shaped part of the Timeless pressing where they aren’t meant to press.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #3,594 of 4,265
jasonb said:
Gotcha. I think I was used to the deep insertion of my Etymotic ER4SR. I’d say the Timeless fits more shallow like an AirPods Pro. My ear pain with the Timeless was definitely from me trying to fit them too deeply. I wasn’t an issue with the nozzle and ear canal, it was parts of the disc shaped part of the Timeless pressing where they aren’t meant to press.
Agreed. And for the same reasons. I am not sure that the stems are THAT short on these, but the flat disc part bottoms out when worn with shorter tips (for me at least).

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #3,595 of 4,265
I ordered JVC Spiral Dot FX10 and AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal. So far, I only have the tips that were in the kit, but I want to try different options.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #3,596 of 4,265
I ordered JVC Spiral Dot FX10 and AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal. So far, I only have the tips that were in the kit, but I want to try different options.
So, you prefer TWS type tips (shorter and a bit wider)? I wish my ears could accommodate those as I have heard some that sound really good, they just won't seal with my ears.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #3,597 of 4,265
So, you prefer TWS type tips (shorter and a bit wider)? I wish my ears could accommodate those as I have heard some that sound really good, they just won't seal with my ears.
I have a feeling that the long tips are slightly crumpled in my ear canal, narrowing the sound hole in the tips and distorting the sound a bit. But I need a comparison.
By the way! Can you recommend any good long tips worth trying?

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #3,598 of 4,265
I have a feeling that the long tips are slightly crumpled in my ear canal, narrowing the sound hole in the tips and distorting the sound a bit. But I need a comparison.
By the way! Can you recommend any good long tips worth trying?
Sure! Spinfit CP100 or CP100+ (same thing, but the CP100+ are more tacky in nature) have a really long but very narrow taper to the end, or the new DUNU S&S tips. They are shaped and look just like foamies, but are silicone, and longer (quite long for tips). The CP100 and + are a medium to small bore, and the DUNU are wide bore.

There are plenty more, but my IME these have been the best of the "long" style tips. A runner up would be the regular AZLA SednaEarfit Xelestic. They are longer than the Crystals (made for TWS), but not quite as long as the previously mentioned tips. The good news with these is that it really doesn't matter if you have a perfect fit or not (as I am sure you already know).

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #3,599 of 4,265
There are plenty more, but my IME these have been the best of the "long" style tips. A runner up would be the regular AZLA SednaEarfit Xelestic. They are longer than the Crystals (made for TWS), but not quite as long as the previously mentioned tips. The good news with these is that it really doesn't matter if you have a perfect fit or not (as I am sure you already know).
Interesting. I just looked at Azla size charts on Linsoul's website and it looks like Xelastec and Crystal are the same length and generally the same size. Attached below.

Crystal:
AZLASednaEarfitCrystal-7-1000.jpg

Xelastec:
AZLASednaEarfitXELASTECEarphoneTPEEartips_8.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #3,600 of 4,265
So I got my replacement pair of Timeless AE. My first pair the right driver has what sounds like driver flex. The second pair has this issue too, but on the left side.

I guess I can make one good working set out of this, but what the hell? Two defective sets in a row?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back