7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Feb 8, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #3,601 of 4,271
So I got my replacement pair of Timeless AE. My first pair the right driver has what sounds like driver flex. The second pair has this issue too, but on the left side.

I guess I can make one good working set out of this, but what the hell? Two defective sets in a row?
Well, with your luck only choose in the store with listening :smile_phones:

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #3,602 of 4,271
Well, with your luck only choose in the store with listening :smile_phones:
What stores are gonna stock chi-fi stuff? None that I’ve seen in the US. At least Amazon returns are easy, with the biggest issue being how slow Amazon can be to ship stuff sometimes. Each pair took just over a week to arrive.

I’m taking the working right one from the second pair and using it with the working left one I already had I guess. I’ll be sending back a set where both have the crinkling issue. The left one from the second set is doing it even worse than the right one from the first set. It’s crazy, especially since my two sets are the first issues of quality control I’ve read about with 7Hz products.

It sucks that my left and right won’t both be broken in the same amount of time, but I’m not hearing any noticeable difference between the two.

I guess I’m just glad to have a fully working pair. I do really like the sound of these and I’ve figured out the fit/comfort, so I want to keep using these and enjoy them.

I think these will become my most used headphone/IEMs. They have been my most used over the last week or so, even though the right side was defective. My Focal Elear with Clear pads would be my most used all the time, but I almost always need at least some level of isolation.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #3,603 of 4,271
So I got my replacement pair of Timeless AE. My first pair the right driver has what sounds like driver flex. The second pair has this issue too, but on the left side.

I guess I can make one good working set out of this, but what the hell? Two defective sets in a row?
WOW! That DOES seem pretty odd. I have read of some QC issue on the OG model, but I think it was mainly contained in one (or two) batches.

Let me ask a pretty silly question (mainly because I'll bet a ton that you know better), but you aren't using a SE cable (with an adapter) coming from balanced of the amp, right? This might cause the sounds you are hearing, and I have seen people use the Deva Pro this way (albeit unwittingly). I only ask because like you, I find it hard to believe that you got two defective sets in a row. I don't know whether to consider you lucky (because you beat the odds) and tell you to buy a lottery ticket, or very very unlucky (because you beat the odds) and tell you not to leave your house for a time. :)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #3,604 of 4,271
WOW! That DOES seem pretty odd. I have read of some QC issue on the OG model, but I think it was mainly contained in one (or two) batches.

Let me ask a pretty silly question (mainly because I'll bet a ton that you know better), but you aren't using a SE cable (with an adapter) coming from balanced of the amp, right? This might cause the sounds you are hearing, and I have seen people use the Deva Pro this way (albeit unwittingly). I only ask because like you, I find it hard to believe that you got two defective sets in a row. I don't know whether to consider you lucky (because you beat the odds) and tell you to buy a lottery ticket, or very very unlucky (because you beat the odds) and tell you not to leave your house for a time. :)
The defective ones make the noise while putting them in my ears which I do before even plugging them in. So it has nothing to do with anything but the IEMs themselves. Something is going on inside of them. It wasn’t just when putting them in my ears though, most head or jaw movements were making them crackle as well. I’ve heard driver flex on a couple dynamic driver IEMs in the past and it sounds just like that.

So the AE has a cable with terminations that you swap out. I’m using it with the 2.5mm balanced termination with the 2.5mm balanced output of my Qudelix 5K. But again, the issue I was having has nothing to do with anything but the IEMs themselves.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #3,605 of 4,271
The defective ones make the noise while putting them in my ears which I do before even plugging them in. So it has nothing to do with anything but the IEMs themselves. Something is going on inside of them. It wasn’t just when putting them in my ears though, most head or jaw movements were making them crackle as well. I’ve heard driver flex on a couple dynamic driver IEMs in the past and it sounds just like that.

So the AE has a cable with terminations that you swap out. I’m using it with the 2.5mm balanced termination with the 2.5mm balanced output of my Qudelix 5K. But again, the issue I was having has nothing to do with anything but the IEMs themselves.
Gotcha! Well, glad you got it (sort of) straightened out anyhow.

Feb 8, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #3,606 of 4,271
Gotcha! Well, glad you got it (sort of) straightened out anyhow.
Yup. I do have a fully working, non crackling pair now. They sound great! Now I can finally just relax and listen to them.

Feb 8, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #3,607 of 4,271
Yup. I do have a fully working, non crackling pair now. They sound great! Now I can finally just relax and listen to them.
I still think it is odd. Not only do I not remember hearing about one case of driver flex with these, but certainly not two sets in a row by the same person. Heck, you might as well cable roll and tip roll between the two stock setups to make sure (if there are any inconsistencies) you find the right complete set you want... haha

Feb 8, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #3,608 of 4,271
I still think it is odd. Not only do I not remember hearing about one case of driver flex with these, but certainly not two sets in a row by the same person. Heck, you might as well cable roll and tip roll between the two stock setups to make sure (if there are any inconsistencies) you find the right complete set you want... haha
The cables and tips are all good. I’ll be sending the messed up pair back tomorrow with all the accessories.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #3,609 of 4,271
I listen atm with the AE again and I play around with the "EQ“ from my iMac.

The AE’s seem to respond pretty good to eq, even to the simple iMac one.
They can shine, wow, I didn‘t expect that.
When I boost them slightly from 8K they deliver greatly. They feel more dynamic.
BUT:
With the eq‘d treble it‘s a very exhausting experience.

In the end I think I use them without EQ, like my other Gear.

Attachments

• 86A3B00A-AECE-4C1B-9A2B-C68395FCDD3E.jpeg
    86A3B00A-AECE-4C1B-9A2B-C68395FCDD3E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #3,610 of 4,271
The Timeless AE is awesome. I’m liking them a lot.

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #3,611 of 4,271
The Timeless AE is awesome. I’m liking them a lot.
Now that you can hear both of them correctly, are you planning to share some more in-depth impressions on these? I don't think I have heard much about these, only the OG version.

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #3,612 of 4,271
Now that you can hear both of them correctly, are you planning to share some more in-depth impressions on these? I don't think I have heard much about these, only the OG version.
I haven’t heard the original Timeless so I can’t compare. I like the bass impact and the overall impact in general. And I feel that the treble is super clear and sparkly, and I like that a lot. Soundstage isn’t a big deal to me, but they don’t sound congested or too in my head. Imaging seems good.

Feb 13, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #3,613 of 4,271
So I just received my Fiio M11 plus ESS.
Now the sound of Timeless AE is revealed completely, as it seems to me.
The bass has become fuller and more powerful, treble is more clear and extended. I don't even mention volume and power.
Very satisfied!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #3,614 of 4,271
You all should try the Timeless AE with Depeche Mode, it's an amazing experience!
After more hours, they slightly opened up a bit on the treble, which is not by much but still noticeable. I'm happier with them now.

They are amazing for some tracks on my playlist and for others they are ''just'' good. The Aria Snow is more of an allrounder. The Timeless AE is unique and exotic compared to the Aria Snow, which isn’t a bad thing. Overall the Timeless AE is better, but different.

The Timeless AE is for now my Endgame IEM.
I still have my eyes on the Aful Performer5 and the Truthear Hexa. My price limit for iem's would be the Thieaudio Oracle MKII. Mid-fi iem's are rare in Germany. There's just the Oracle MKII (which is sold out since a while on a german shop…), the Dunu SA6 and the Variations. If I want to buy an 500$ iem directly from china, I must pay around 130$ for taxes/duties!

Feb 18, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #3,615 of 4,271
You all should try the Timeless AE with Depeche Mode, it's an amazing experience!
After more hours, they slightly opened up a bit on the treble, which is not by much but still noticeable. I'm happier with them now.

They are amazing for some tracks on my playlist and for others they are ''just'' good. The Aria Snow is more of an allrounder. The Timeless AE is unique and exotic compared to the Aria Snow, which isn’t a bad thing. Overall the Timeless AE is better, but different.

The Timeless AE is for now my Endgame IEM.
I still have my eyes on the Aful Performer5 and the Truthear Hexa. My price limit for iem's would be the Thieaudio Oracle MKII. Mid-fi iem's are rare in Germany. There's just the Oracle MKII (which is sold out since a while on a german shop…), the Dunu SA6 and the Variations. If I want to buy an 500$ iem directly from china, I must pay around 130$ for taxes/duties!

I like my AE, but I’m also liking the Hexa. I’ve been using the Hexa more lately, partly because I need to put hours on them to break in the dynamic driver. They’ve already improved a ton, but I think they have more to give. They are ridiculous for $79 though. Very very impressive. At first I thought the Hexa sounded bad with metal, but now they sound great with metal, so something definitely changed with them.

So which Depeche Mode songs or album do you recommend? I’ve heard some of their stuff in the past, but I don’t know their library very well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back