701/2 Good, detailed, harsh review from a head fi member with tons of experience
Mar 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #48 of 137
The review is at headroom and posted under the nick Asr.

Who's Asr? whoever he is, he needs to stop using 'double-edged sword' analogy more than once in successive paragraphs.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #50 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. For me the AKG K702 and prog rock with all its genres and fusions work perfectly.

Thanks, Prog Rock Man. I can cancel my appointments with the Audiologist and Psychiatrist now!
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #51 of 137
FWIW, I wasn't really too enamored with the K701's either. There was a kind of chalky-ness to the treble that I could never get past. I could never understand what the fuss was all about. I ended up selling my pair after a few months (I was convinced to try to get them to 400 hours of break in before giving up, which I did, and still gave up anyway).

But I adored the K340's, and am hoping we get a new high-end AKG soon that sounds more like they did.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #52 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I wasn't really too enamored with the K701's either. There was a kind of chalky-ness to the treble that I could never get past. I could never understand what the fuss was all about. I ended up selling my pair after a few months (I was convinced to try to get them to 400 hours of break in before giving up, which I did, and still gave up anyway).

They're not for everyone...especially if you don't understand what the fuss was all about.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #53 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I say beginners, I mean if it's your first pair and you don't have any other reference point, then the K702 will not necessary will fulfill your wet dream (especially out of the box and before the burn in). Also some of the tube amps are not so great with the K70X. I'll recommend to any one that reads this to try out a few systems with the 70X and see what is the one that you like the most because they can change a lot from system to system. And I mean a lot.

Funny, we actually both agree on this!
icon10.gif

I tried them with my tube amp, a Woo3, Woo6 and just never liked them as much as I did with a Gilmore Lite (or even a Total Bithead).

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #54 of 137
Drop several K on an amp & source and soup cans start sounding good. I agree that the 70x are good for their price. I also agree that when price is taken out of the equation, they are not all that. They are very component dependent and not for all genre.

Many people buy the 70x without the committed gear because they are $250 and expect them to provide an increased level of performance. Played on an inferior system, they are not forgiving. Some may blame this poor performance on the headphone with some justification but they can sound pretty good on a system set up for them.

They are not a beginner headphone and have no business being compared to HD800, PS1000, Ed. 8, etc.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #56 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I adored the K340's, and am hoping we get a new high-end AKG soon that sounds more like they did.

Lol... Plastic and now chalk!!! Really, how does chalk sound like? I am amused by the sheer variety of adjectives that people use for the K70x. Funny!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #57 of 137
Is this a joke?

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #58 of 137
Skylab;6486599 said:
FWIW, There was a kind of chalky-ness to the treble that I could never get past.

IMO, the K701s produce the most accurate representation that I have heard, through any audio equipment, of a grand piano. That's what matters to me most, but maybe I need to see an Audiologist if a lot of other Head-fiers feel that I am blessed with tin ears.
smile.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #59 of 137
The K701 has an amazing portrayal of timbre on strings and piano. And cymbals are almost authentic.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #60 of 137
K701/02 has everything going for it except its price, had it been selling for $1000+ it would have been the best dynamic headphone ever.

This is a controversial theory but its consumerism 101, anything that is common and 'cheap' cannot simply be good because everything good is few in numbers and expensive.

With that thought, I think those of us who enjoy this headphone should just stop being such sentimental philanthropists and recommend this headphone to everyone through sheer goodwill.

All catastrophes have started with someone trying to do some good. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back