701/2 Good, detailed, harsh review from a head fi member with tons of experience
Mar 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #17 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of those who enjoy the K-701/2, how many of you have listened to a K-501?

I haven't.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that is a very unfair comment about the OP, as he is only passing on his impressions from his own, not inconsiderable, experience and I think, trying to be helpful to fellow Head-Fiers. Why would you say something like this? You should defend your position if you have a rationale for this.

i think it is fair comment,the title is somewhat cheesy.i thought the OP will give us a link to k70* review made by someone professional and well regarded, and to say he has alot and tons of experaince is a praise for himself and not humble.Anyway nice review,i enjoyed reading it,although i disagree with the OP saying if the k70* is your first headphone it will sound great.well it was my first headphone and i sold it in 2 weeks,they sounded very sharp and thin to me with weird soundstage that has no depth and alot of air in any kind of music even if intimate.overall i think the hd650 is much much better also the d5000 and the k70* is at best"average".

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #19 of 137
Quote:

I've never been able to track one down to audition. People have told me several times I'd probably enjoy the K501.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think it is fair comment,the title is somewhat cheesy.i thought the OP will give us a link to k70* review made by someone professional and well regarded, and to say he has alot and tons of experaince is a praise for himself and not humble.Anyway nice review,i enjoyed reading it,although i disagree with the OP saying if the k70* is your first headphone it will sound great.well it was my first headphone and i sold it in 2 weeks,they sounded very sharp and thin to me with weird soundstage that has no depth and alot of air in any kind of music even if intimate.overall i think the hd650 is much much better also the d5000 and the k70* is at best"average".

eh, he probably meant to differentiate himself from the majority of K701 reviews, which are by people new to "that" level of headphones. It was maybe worded a little awkwardly, but live and let live I say. It was still a good review.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 137
i had difficulties with the K701 with my BM DAC1/M3/Bijou. it did some things very well with but ultimately i sold it. i would have agreed with KBI's review, however, i decided to give the K702 a punt now that i have a y2/B22. so far, with only 100 hrs, they're pushing all the right buttons. a different and much better HP experience. btw, i really like the K601 too.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 137
Quote:

I haven't. The reason for your question? I hope the answer is not going to lead to another purchase!

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #23 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....so far, with only 100 hrs, they're pushing all the right buttons. a different and much better HP experience. btw, i really like the K601 too.

Give it another 400 hours and see what happens.
wink_face.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #24 of 137
KBI, the day has come! Congratulations on your new K-702! I hope you enjoy them and keep us updated about the burn in process and any changes in them. They do sound okay out of the box, but they'll sound MUCH better after 150 hours of burn in, not to mention 350.
k701smile.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #25 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't. The reason for your question? I hope the answer is not going to lead to another purchase!

Many people including Erik think that midrange balance and presentation in K501 is superior to the K701's. I've never tried one myself, but as I do think that K271 mids are actually better balanced and presented than K701 (and I've heard a few instances where people have said that K271 and 501 mids are somewhat close in overall presentation and balance) I do feel compelled to try it out at some point. It should be know though that you will apparently lose even more bass quantity in K501 compared to K701, so you may want to stay away if you already think K701 doesn't have enough bass amount for your liking.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #26 of 137
I think the K7XX are so amp dependent it's hard for anyone to make judgement without stating what electronics they are using upstream. Before hearing them in a balanced setup I was about to give up on them. Balanced they are a totally different headphone with plenty of bass and midrange detail and no harshness at all.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #27 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KBI, the day has come! Congratulations on your new K-702! I hope you enjoy them and keep us updated about the burn in process and any changes in them. They do sound okay out of the box, but they'll sound MUCH better after 150 hours of burn in, not to mention 350.
k701smile.gif

I knew you couldn't resist this thread.
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KBI is right; the 702s are not for beginners.
wink_face.gif

Are you saying that I'm a beginner because I don't think they are the be all and end all?
frown.gif

Did you not read my positive comments on Page #1. Where they not glowing enough for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back