701/2 Good, detailed, harsh review from a head fi member with tons of experience
Mar 18, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #76 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. K701/02 is never going to be given due credit simply for their low price.

Peer pressure is also a factor because if you own K701 then guys with HD800s and T1s won't hang around with you, so you gotta pay more to climb the virtual social ladder.
k701smile.gif

I think as true as your statement may be, that money does influence us greatly, your position is indeed the exact opposite, so you are just as much of a culprit, am I right?

Lots of people think the K70X is the little headphone that could, and even though its price is low it still, is on par of better than the other HD 800/T1/E8, or ANY other headphone that people talk about.

There is ALWAYS someone to chime in and say somone wasted their money, and the K70X would have been a better choice.

So, as much as Top Tier headphone users peer pressure K70X people, K70X people have to go piss on everyone elses party by telling them they made a choice influence only on market value, which gets old real quick.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #77 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, as much as Top Tier headphone users peer pressure K70X people, K70X people have to go piss on everyone elses party by telling them they made a choice influence only on market value, which gets old real quick.

And then the thread comes to a crashing halt!
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #78 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am always surprised at people who seem to have no problem with SA5K's high (I cannot stand more than 10 minutes). But again, so many people like SR325 and Ultrasone as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with you - I could not handle the highs of the SA5K.

I can't handle my 325i for long, but comfort factors into that too.

The SA5k do have harsh ish highs (the main reason I looked for something equally competent to complement it), I find the 325i harsher though, and you don't get anywhere near the resolution/speed/accuracy, so there is even less of a reason to put up with their flaws... Those are probably the reason people are more forgiving of this con of the SA5K - it's just so good its worth it :p.

Also, I did not find my Pro 750 harsh or tinny at all :/

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #79 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then the thread comes to a crashing halt!
biggrin.gif

I do consider myself the voice of reason
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #80 of 137
Quote:

Why take the point so literally. It just kills the effect since that's far from the intended meaning.
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately points as those fall too often on sensitive eyes and ears.
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #81 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why take the point so literally. It just kills the effect since that's far from the intended meaning.
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately points as those fall too often on sensitive eyes and ears.
beerchug.gif

Well it is just text, and being coy on the internet does not go over well often :p... plus K702 is more of a religion than at headphone at this point anyways!

Also, I'm not being too serious myself, I appreciate and respect people can enjoy a headphone so much, I have said this before - I really wish I liked it that much. I would have saved me boatloads of money.

I find it more fun than anything really to comment on peoples unfaltering love for the K702
wink.gif

Ultrasonista is used offensively by some, put people also call themselves it with pride. Is there a term coined for AKG fanatics I am unaware of?

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #82 of 137
Quote:

I think as true as your statement may be, that money does influence us greatly, your position is indeed the exact opposite, so you are just as much of a culprit, am I right?

Lots of people think the K70X is the little headphone that could, and even though its price is low it still, is on par of better than the other HD 800/T1/E8, or ANY other headphone that people talk about.

There is ALWAYS someone to chime in and say someone wasted their money, and the K70X would have been a better choice.

I think your reasoning is influenced once again by price parity which seems to be more of a concern for HD800/T1 owners than K701/02 owners. That goes back to my argument that K701/02 is too cheap to be good.

As far as spoiling it for HD800/T1 owners concerned, I think its all in good humor and there is only one infamous members who engages in that activity (lol), the rest of us usually find ourselves in defensive when K701/02 is always put down with some of the most preposterous comments ever heard about any headphone.

But then again there is no smoke without fire and why K701/02 keeps spoiling it for others seems to be that these headphones are just too good to go unnoticed and people who experience them suddenly feel compelled to sing their praise and defend them... And most of these people are not just your average young ones, they're cranky old ones who have a knack for debating...

You see, in the end its all about music and which headphone moves one emotionally, that's what K701/2 does really well and yet they're so fantastically neutral and detailed. A killer combination and as long as they're not 'bettered', K701/2 owners will keep singing their praise, and you guys should not feel defensive if you truly believe your headphones are superior.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #83 of 137
Quote:

You see, in the end its all about music and which headphone moves one emotionally, that's what K701/2 does really well and yet they're so fantastically neutral and detailed. A killer combination and as long as they're not 'bettered', K701/2 owners will keep singing their praise, and you guys should not feel defensive if you truly believe your headphones are superior.

Ahhhh...but it's only the people who like them that don't think they can be bettered, of course...I think the similarly priced Beyer DT880 are better, as do a good-sized head-fi contingent - because people all hear differently, and there are no perfect headphones for all people.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #84 of 137
Quote:

I think your reasoning is influenced once again by price parity which seems to be more of a concern for HD800/T1 owners than K701/02 owners. That goes back to my argument that K701/02 is too cheap to be good.

As far as spoiling it for HD800/T1 owners concerned, I think its all in good humor and there is only one infamous members who engages in that activity (lol), the rest of us usually find ourselves in defensive when K701/02 is always put down with some of the most preposterous comments ever heard about any headphone.

But then again there is no smoke without fire and why K701/02 keeps spoiling it for others seems to be that these headphones are just too good to go unnoticed and people who experience them suddenly feel compelled to sing their praise and defend them... And most of these people are not just your average young ones, they're cranky old ones who have a knack for debating...

You see, in the end its all about music and which headphone moves one emotionally, that's what K701 do really well and yet they're so fantastically neutral and detailed. A killer combination and as long as they're not 'bettered', K701/2 owners will keep singing their praise, and you guys should not feel defensive if you truly believe your headphones are superior.

Well, what is funny, is that as soon as someone else enjoys a different headphone, and sings it's praise who are the first people to comment?
wink.gif
So I wouldn't say you guys are exactly being "oppressed".

I think the AKG are priced the way they are for a reason, they are priced the same as the HD 600, the DT 880 and a few others. Which I think is very fair. I don't hear it at all as outclassing them in any way, let alone outclassing more expensive ones.

I don't find it overly neutral either with its overly large soundstage, weird tone, and as discussed in my neutrality thread -the bass roll off. If you want to talk detail my SA5K and W1000X clearly (pun intended) take the cake, while imaging better too boot. The raving about detail really leaves me scratching my head to be honest.

So it leaves me wondering how all these claims are made, when you really don't have to spend that much more, to have a technically superior phones, or depending on your tastes, more enjoyable ones.

Unfortunately debating often only proves ones tenacity and ability to debate plus conveying their convictions, and not whats actually true. If so democracy would move along much faster ahah.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #85 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhhh...but it's only the people who like them that don't think they can be bettered, of course...I think the similarly priced Beyer DT880 are better, as do a good-sized head-fi contingent - because people all hear differently, and there are no perfect headphones for all people.

Exactly - The crown worn by the AKG seems to be only imposed by it's bigger fans. People who recognize it as a very good headphone, but aren't overly taken with it go and find better headphones - without too much difficulty either.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #86 of 137
Skylab: DT880 is a decent headphone, but imo K701 wins with a more natural and musical flow, it just sounds more like real music than listening to music through a headphone.

sokolov91: I don't think that is true. There is no such a thing as 'we people/K701/2' owners. In fact 'we're' also divided on using amps, cable and 701 vs 702... i think people who have and enjoy K701/2 feel obliged to recommend them and that is part of human nature. everyone likes to recommend what they like.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #88 of 137
Quote:

K702 and K701 are the same thing... no? Minus cable differences

One's dark blue/black and the other is white (quite obvious I know). The K702 has 8 bumps and the K701 has 7 bumps on the headband.

The K701 is terminated with a 1/4" plug and comes with a 1/8" add on; while the K702 is the opposite.

Everything else is the same. Confirmed my an AKG customer service employee...now where is that email?

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #89 of 137
I find one major flaw with the K701. I don't consider "cold and analytical" flaws, that's how some people like their music. But the point below is really a "flaw".

- There's a slight bump in the female vocal range. Which makes some female vocal sound absolutely magical, but makes certain other songs ear piercing.

A good headphone imo should be at least listenable for all kinds of genres. Having the most awesome listening experience in one song to getting my eardrum pierced in the next song is pretty disheartening.

However, there is a workaround.

Instead of placing the center of the drivers directly towards your ear canal, move the two drivers towards the front of your head as much as possible, so that the back of your ears is literally touching the back of the pads. And viola, ear piercing is gone, and added bass too, which is always welcome on the K701.

I speak from a non-balanced setup. From my experience with numerous amps, the K701 is VERY picky when you are on non-balanced. Gain too low, you have serious bass and clarity issues; gain too high, the mid-highs go from magical to ear piercing.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #90 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefered my SA5000 over the 701, based on the SA5000 superior technical merits.. But the 701 was more fun & engaging with the right amp..

Quote:

SA5K and K70X are pretty similar I found. SA5K had a noticably smaller soundstage, but much better detail and speed, and without that weird tone the AKG has with some songs.

Signature was pretty similar though, very extended mids and highs, with very tight bass that only came from low down in the headphone. Minus soundstage, the SA5K wins in everyone category as far as I am concerned.

I'll be borrowing the 701 for a couple days but can't see myself loving it, I like a fat bottom.
wink.gif
~ I think my next phone will be either Sony SA5000 or Ultrasone Pro900. Perhaps those complaining of harsh highs needs a warmer tube setup as opposed to a fast and perhaps sterile SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back