701/2 Good, detailed, harsh review from a head fi member with tons of experience
Mar 18, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #61 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever heard of quote marks?

Um.. Yeah.. But it never crossed my mind.. The title alone should have gave it away, that it wasn't my review..

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #62 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not a beginner headphone and have no business being compared to HD800, PS1000, Ed. 8, etc.

I compare my K702's with my Ed8's all the time. They complement each other nicely, though the Ed8's make for a potential all-rounder for me. OTOH, the K702's, though I haven't heard better with some of my music, it's definitely not an all-rounder for my ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol... Plastic and now chalk!!! Really, how does chalk sound like? I am amused by the sheer variety of adjectives that people use for the K70x. Funny!
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701/02 has everything going for it except its price, had it been selling for $1000+ it would have been the best dynamic headphone ever.

I don't find this point a joke. I think it a deadly serious proposition and that it would work! Additionally, the illusion would have no anti-cable science to prevent its propagation.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #63 of 137
Quote:

The review is at headroom and posted under the nick Asr.

Who's Asr? whoever he is, he needs to stop using 'double-edged sword' analogy more than once in successive paragraphs.

Read his Archive reviews on the 701/AD2000.. He loves, or loved the 701.. Put over 1,400 hrs on then.. He is also a contributor to Stereo Mojo, a audio website that reviews audio gear.. You should read his DT880/601 reviews.. He is very good reviewing audio gear.. He leaves no stone un turned, Very in depth, & critical when need be.. One of the best reviewers on headphones, along with Zanith, Wu, Dueggh & Mark, IMO.. I disagree with him in some areas, (DT48 has recessed mids??) but that's personal differences.. You won't meet a man as hardcore as Steve in terms of headphones, amps, & CDPers..

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #64 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 has an amazing portrayal of timbre on strings and piano. And cymbals are almost authentic.

The 701 is articulate & graceful in terms of timbre & acoustics.. There is a slight hint of warmth with the instruments that make it more pleasurable & 'natural'.. But, I still feel they lack the accuracy of other headphones, & not as realistic, but on a purely pleasurable level, they get a lot of acoustics right. I still feel the 340 is more authentic with strings, & that other headphone being more accurate & realistic in the portrayal.. But the 701 crosses a fine line.. between acoustics with appeal, naturalism, while still maintaining some accuracy.. I have not heard this medium done as well as the 701 with any headphone I owned.. It plays both sides of the fence very well in that regard.

Quote:

K701/02 has everything going for it except its price, had it been selling for $1000+ it would have been the best dynamic headphone ever.

This is a controversial theory but its consumerism 101, anything that is common and 'cheap' cannot simply be good because everything good is few in numbers and expensive.

With that thought, I think those of us who enjoy this headphone should just stop being such sentimental philanthropists and recommend this headphone to everyone through sheer goodwill.

All catastrophes have started with someone trying to do some good. lol

You do have a point. If the HD800 was street priced at 250 & the 702, 1,400.. On a subconscious level you would think or believe the 702 was most likely superior or better. People put way too much into cost whether we are consciously aware of it or not..

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #65 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read his Archive reviews on the 701/AD2000.. He loves, or loved the 701.. Put over 1,400 hrs on then.. He is also a contributor to Stereo Mojo, a audio website that reviews audio gear.. You should read his DT880/601 reviews.. He is very good reviewing audio gear.. He leaves no stone un turned, Very in depth, & critical when need be.. One of the best reviewers on headphones, along with Zanith, Wu, Dueggh & Mark, IMO.. I disagree with him in some areas, (DT48 has recessed mids??) but that's personal differences.. You won't meet a man as hardcore as Steve in terms of headphones, amps, & CDPers..

I'm sure he is. But good review should be a bit more precise. For example he keeps saying K702 needs a good amp. What is a good amp? What is a good amp according to him? He did not even mention his source and amp.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #66 of 137
Quote:

I'm sure he is. But good review should be a bit more precise. For example he keeps saying K702 needs a good amp. What is a good amp? What is a good amp according to him? He did not even mention his source and amp.

I agree. But to his defense, it was just a some what 'half arsed' (compared to his usually reviews) quick review on headroom.com. Check out his professional review on the DT880..stereomojo.com

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #67 of 137
Quote:

Wali, you should put "K70X Crusader" in your title
wink.gif

If the K70X was a person, you would be a dear friend, but not a coach :p.

I have not heard the DT 880, but the SA5K is indeed a fair bit more detailed and accurate than the K702.

I really agree with the huge sound stage to be both a pro and con. Pretty sound and fair review IMO.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #68 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do have a point. If the HD800 was street priced at 250 & the 702, 1,400.. On a subconscious level you would think or believe the 702 was most likely superior or better. People put way too much into cost whether we are consciously aware of it or not..

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. K701/02 is never going to be given due credit simply for their low price.

Peer pressure is also a factor because if you own K701 then guys with HD800s and T1s won't hang around with you, so you gotta pay more to climb the virtual social ladder.
k701smile.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #69 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wali, you should put "K70X Crusader" in your title
wink.gif

If the K70X was a person, you would be a dear friend, but not a coach :p.

I have not heard the DT 880, but the SA5K is indeed a fair bit more detailed and accurate than the K702.

I really agree with the huge sound stage to be both a pro and con. Pretty sound and fair review IMO.

No, its not that. That title goes to Acix. I'm more of a consumer activist at heart, that's all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #71 of 137
Quote:

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. K701/02 is never going to be given due credit simply for their low price.

Peer pressure is also a factor because if you own K701 then guys with HD800s and T1s won't hang around with you, so you gotta pay more to climb the virtual social ladder.
k701smile.gif

Would the JVC1000 be considered, in the what I call, above the regular hi end if they were not priced near a grand.. On the other hand, the HP1/2 sold for 500-600 hundred in production, now they are considered 'ultra high end', due to their current asking price of 1,400-2,000.. & great word of mouth.. I'm sure they are great.. It's just funny how things go in audio..

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #72 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Have those who own/love AKG K701/2 heard and rejected the Sony SA5000?

I prefered my SA5000 over the 701, based on the SA5000 superior technical merits.. But the 701 was more fun & engaging with the right amp..

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #73 of 137
SA5K and K70X are pretty similar I found. SA5K had a noticably smaller soundstage, but much better detail and speed, and without that weird tone the AKG has with some songs.

Signature was pretty similar though, very extended mids and highs, with very tight bass that only came from low down in the headphone. Minus soundstage, the SA5K wins in everyone category as far as I am concerned.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #74 of 137
I am always surprised at people who seem to have no problem with SA5K's high (I cannot stand more than 10 minutes). But again, so many people like SR325 and Ultrasone as well.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #75 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am always surprised at people who seem to have no problem with SA5K's high (I cannot stand more than 10 minutes). But again, so many people like SR325 and Ultrasone as well.

I'm with you - I could not handle the highs of the SA5K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back