6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 23, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #4,816 of 7,413
  Anyone have recommendation on a modern day still in production 6SN7?

I'm looking at the following:
Shuguang Treasure CV181
Psvane CV181-TII
Sophia 6SN7

Any of them approaching the TS BGRP performance? 

No experience with Psvane & Shuguang, had the Sophia's . They have good bass & are warm sounding,  treble resolution is average. They are not bad but not worth  their retail price. IMO If you can get a pair for around $ 50 try them if you like warm, bassy sound.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #4,817 of 7,413
I never tried the Psvane, but I tried the Shuggie CV181 and the Sophia, and IMHO, even a "lowly" Sylvania 6SN7GTB sounded better than either one.

+1 on the Sophia. I got it free with a tungsol new issue as well with my amp and yeah my $35 chrome dome 6sn7gtb from brent jesse is more preferable than either. Khragon I hate to say it but 6sn7w, b65, 5692 red base if you want something close to the same level. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4,818 of 7,413

+1 on the Sophia. I got it free with a tungsol new issue as well with my amp and yeah my $35 chrome dome 6sn7gtb from brent jesse is more preferable than either. Khragon I hate to say it but 6sn7w, b65, 5692 red base if you want something close to the same level. 

Can you provide me some link to these tubes? any particular one stand out between the 3? 6sn7w, b65 and 5692.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #4,819 of 7,413
  had the Sophia's . They have good bass & are warm sounding,  treble resolution is average. They are not bad but not worth  their retail price.

Too bad that it does'nt make beautiful music as it's beautiful.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #4,820 of 7,413

Can you provide me some link to these tubes? any particular one stand out between the 3? 6sn7w, b65 and 5692.

www.hifishark.com. Just type in 6sn7w, Marconi b65, and 5692. You want metal and black base 6sn7w's, long or short bottle. I see one guy has a pair of black base short bottle's for $159 on ebay. Not bad imo. There is also an auction for a pair of metal base long bottle, there is no metal base short bottle that I know of. The metal base long bottles are the most sought after.

B65's there only seems to be one pair at $1200. You can make an offer of $600 but that's as much as I would pay. There were quite a few a while back, I think some more will pop up.

5692's you want red bases. There are quite a few for sale right now. I like the one green girl is selling for $90. I have bought from them and nice tubes imo.

Again I have not tried out the TSRP yet but these are my most expensive and fav. 6sn7's.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,822 of 7,413
A few days ago, I pointed out eBay listing # 331535675354 for a pair of Radiotron VT231 JAN-6SN7GT tubes manufactured in Australia. My curiosity got the best of me, I made an offer and ended up getting a pair.

Interestingly, in each box, there is a small piece of paper listing the number and dates of all the applicable Australian and New Zealand patents, none later than 1939. Further, there is a note at the bottom: "The sale of this device does not carry a license to use it for any commercial or revenue-earning purposes." So I think it likely that these were manufactured during WWII.

I am not as experienced as many in this forum, but for what it is worth, the components and construction of this tube appear to be different than any I have seen. The smooth flat-black thin box-plates and the sheet metal used as heat radiators and bracing under the first spacer are especially interesting.

Popped one in the amp and I am pleased to report it lights up and plays. And of course, after only 10 minutes it is too soon to say anything more than it doesn't sound bad. Since I am a bit of tube collector, even if it doesn't knock my socks off, I am still quite pleased to have them. :)

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #4,823 of 7,413

A few days ago, I pointed out eBay listing # 331535675354 for a pair of Radiotron VT231 JAN-6SN7GT tubes manufactured in Australia. My curiosity got the best of me, I made an offer and ended up getting a pair.

Interestingly, in each box, there is a small piece of paper listing the number and dates of all the applicable Australian and New Zealand patents, none later than 1939. Further, there is a note at the bottom: "The sale of this device does not carry a license to use it for any commercial or revenue-earning purposes." So I think it likely that these were manufactured during WWII.

I am not as experienced as many in this forum, but for what it is worth, the components and construction of this tube appear to be different that any I have seen. The smooth flat-black thin box-plates and the sheet metal used as heat radiators and bracing under the first spacer are especially interesting.

Popped one in the amp and I am pleased to report it lights up and plays. And of course, after only 10 minutes it is too soon to say anything more than it doesn't sound bad. Since I am a bit of tube collector, even if it doesn't know my socks off, I am still quite pleased to have them. :)

Never heard of them, but they do look kinda cool!

I will be interested to hear your impressions after more hours of listening.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #4,825 of 7,413
In the first and third pictures above, on the right, at the same level as the top of the base, you can just see the edge of a capital D getter. However, most of the getter splash is below the level of the top edge of the base.

Edit: Here is a better picture. A big rectangular D getter

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4,826 of 7,413
Since these Australian-made AWA (Amalgamated Wireless Australasia Ltd) tubes were sold under the RCA "Radiotron" brand name, it seemed appropriate to try to compare one to a gray-glass RCA of the same vintage. Listening to a few songs through each tube, it is clear that the AWA is not simply an RCA manufactured in Australia. But given the differences in construction, this was not a surprise to me. My initial impression is the AWA tube is a tad bit brighter and airier than the RCA. I may be overreaching, but given that AWA had the rights to all present and future patents of Marconi and Telefunken, as well as RCA, I might say that it is a combination of RCA, Marconi and Telefunken. lol. Anyway, I think it is quite a nice tube.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #4,827 of 7,413
gibosi...thanks to you....here is my $13 treasure that just arrived today  
biggrin.gif

This made me grin from ear to ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back