6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,801 of 7,413
yes I understand in case the glass is a turn on itself, but this is very very minimal it's just a little not play even one inch

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4,802 of 7,413
  The point is that a loose base can only get worse.

The sooner you secure the better.

I am not aware of Ken Rad making any round plates but I could be very wrong.

If they made one, I am thinking you would you know  
smile.gif

I have a question about the Ken Rad black glass 6SN7 or 12SN7

Do the Ken Rads that are clear at the bottom of the glass, at the base instead of chrome in that area.....are those round plates or am I just thinking this for no reason.

Thanks for any info on this.

The two things are not related, at least not directly.

The "chrome" is the getter flashing. If the tube has no getter at the bottom (meaning the getter is on the top usually), then there will be no flashing at the bottom, and the glass will be clear. This has nothing to do at all with what kind of plates are used.

thanks for explaining that ....much appreciated

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #4,803 of 7,413
Anyone know where I could bu the follwing 6sn7's ? 

Aslo which of these would have the largest soundstage? ¬

Sylvania 6SN7W tall,
Tung-Sol 6SN7WGT,
Sylvania 6SN7WGT,
RCA grey-glass 6SN7GT

Paddy

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #4,804 of 7,413
Sure not rca. Sylvania and Tung Sol would be the best for soundstage. I find that the best soundstage i've heard is with TS 6SN7 bgrp.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #4,805 of 7,413
eBay listing # 331535675354
A pair of Radiotron VT231 6SN7GT tubes, apparently manufactured in Australia.

Has anyone heard these? Or know anything about them? I seem to remember that Radiotron was an RCA brand name back in the day, but at least to my eyes, these look rather unique.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,807 of 7,413
An interesting read. And I am always open to try new tubes. But unfortunately, given that I have no idea how they might sound, the current listing for these AWV is a bit too expensive for my wallet....

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #4,808 of 7,413

There are some other "radiotron" 6SNs for sale on ebay but they are said to be from GE of Canada,. The tubes are superficially similar (plates high up in tube) but despite the photos there are  not  great shots of the plates.  The other thing is that there are typically factory codes on tubes  called eia codes I think, on he tube base..  I have a list of them some where but there isn't any code to look up on these bases.  So I am curious as well, I might ask your question in another forum.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #4,809 of 7,413
Anyone have recommendation on a modern day still in production 6SN7?

I'm looking at the following:
Shuguang Treasure CV181
Psvane CV181-TII
Sophia 6SN7

Any of them approaching the TS BGRP performance? 

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #4,810 of 7,413
  An interesting read. And I am always open to try new tubes. But unfortunately, given that I have no idea how they might sound, the current listing for these AWV is a bit too expensive for my wallet....

seems to be a flat plate and round mica like TS earlier version of 6f8g. Intersting find.

I've received a NOS famous Ken Rad Vt231 yesterday. I don't like, bass is deep but not really powerful as i read so many times. I've to burn more longer to make a definitive opinion.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #4,811 of 7,413

None of them seems able to compete with the better NOS or just OS in terms of sound quality..  The one thing you get of course is a warranty of sorts with the current production tubes.  Warranties are rarely given with NOS tubes although some of the bigger operations do.
Have you tried some of the les expensive old stock tubes like RCA or Ken Rad, GE, CBS Hytron, and Sylvania (my favorite). Even Tung Sol non round plates are  very good tubes.  If you have some confidence in them after a while you can get the more expensive variants .  For instance you start with a Sylvania GTB or better a GTA then move up to a GT bottom getter like the 231s and Bad Boys or  possibly a WGT, Then if you are really digging it, add the famous Ws to your stock of tubes.
Right now I am using a CV1988 6SN7 GTY by Brimar but have other tubes of that caliber to roll in , if I get the urge. Even if you are not a tube roller you should keep a couple of back up pairs any way.
In the final assessment you really have to judge for yourself if you like the sound quality of the current production 6SN7s, I wouldn't rule out the current prod. Tung Sol.   I have heard that they are decent tubes, haven't listened to them myself, but can tell you the old Electro Harmonix  6SN7 was not pleasant in the least.  The new ones are supposedly much much better.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #4,812 of 7,413

I have Ts 6SN7 bgrp and i find that Ts round plate in 6F8g type is sounding very close. Only soundstage is less 3D than the master 6SN7, but it's also cheaper : a good deal!

I'm interesting for any reports about sophia 6sn7 too.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #4,813 of 7,413
I have already TS 6F8G and TS 6SN7 BGRP, so I thought to compare them to an in production set and hopefully get away from the game of hunting for good NOS tubes.

Any recommendation on which is the best out of the one I listed?

Thanks

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #4,814 of 7,413
Anyone have recommendation on a modern day still in production 6SN7?

I'm looking at the following:
Shuguang Treasure CV181
Psvane CV181-TII
Sophia 6SN7

I never tried the Psvane, but I tried the Shuggie CV181 and the Sophia, and IMHO, even a "lowly" Sylvania 6SN7GTB sounded better than either one.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4,815 of 7,413
I never tried the Psvane, but I tried the Shuggie CV181 and the Sophia, and IMHO, even a "lowly" Sylvania 6SN7GTB sounded better than either one.

The Psvane is horrible similar to the Shuggie, thin bright and basically like sandpaper on your ears even with hundred's of hours of burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back