6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,831 of 7,413
Yip. TSRP. Damn I love this tube. I have 5 sets and plan on getting 9 more over the next few months. My end game tube.

I run the 6F8G type.

May 1, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #4,834 of 7,413
  Yip. TSRP. Damn I love this tube. I have 5 sets and plan on getting 9 more over the next few months. My end game tube.

I run the 6F8G type.

5 sets of Ts bgrp...damn a fortune !
biggrin.gif
I've only one.

May 1, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #4,835 of 7,413
5 sets of Ts bgrp...damn a fortune ! :D I've only one.

My aim is to get 14 sets. So I need 9 more sets. So I have arranged to buy 3sets per month of a seller over the next 3 months. Then I will be set. I also have 2 sets of NU and 28 sets (yes I'm not kidding 28 it is) of RCA.

May 1, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #4,836 of 7,413
My aim is to get 14 sets. So I need 9 more sets. So I have arranged to buy 3sets per month of a seller over the next 3 months. Then I will be set. I also have 2 sets of NU and 28 sets (yes I'm not kidding 28 it is) of RCA.

eek.gif

On Woo wa22 you use a pair of 6sn7, on my balancing Act i need only one. with approximately 2000-3000hours per set, you'll be able to listen during a century
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #4,837 of 7,413
:eek:
On Woo wa22 you use a pair of 6sn7, on my balancing Act i need only one. with approximately 2000-3000hours per set, you'll be able to listen during a century :D

Yip. I don't plan to run out. :wink:

What I do need to do is get a second set of cans. Cough* Ether cough*

May 1, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #4,838 of 7,413

eek.gif

On Woo wa22 you use a pair of 6sn7, on my balancing Act i need only one. with approximately 2000-3000hours per set, you'll be able to listen during a century
biggrin.gif

Yip. I don't plan to run out.
wink.gif

What I do need to do is get a second set of cans. Cough* Ether cough*

Ha!

I don't think you will need to worry about running out  
smile.gif

I just recently bougt a couple TSBGRP 6F8G

I cant wait to compare the sound with the 6SN7 version

May 1, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,839 of 7,413

What adapters are you running for the 6F8G's? Chinese or something fancier?

May 1, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #4,840 of 7,413
Hi folks.

I'm new to this thread & tube-rolling in general. I took delivery last week of a Project Ember Mk2 last week & in preparation had already bought a Sylvania 6SNtGTA & a National Union 6SN7GT. I'm unsure of the vintage of these valves though. The Sylvania is almost completely chrome looking and the National Union is mostly black.

Today i also received a Canadian Armed Services JAN 6SN7GT. The base is marked General Electric & it's boxed & dated June 1/45. I've only been using the GE for about an hour but I think it's already sounding more to my taste than either of the others. Previously the Sylvania was my favourite but the GE seems punchier without losing the warmth. Time will tell though.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to date the Sylvania & National Union?

Thanks for taking the time.

edit - Here's a photo of the three valves. Hopefully it might help with identification..

Gordon.

May 1, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #4,841 of 7,413
The NU and Sylvania "chrome dome" are both very likely from the early 1950's. Usually the dates were silk-screened on the base, but in your pictures, if they exist, they are not visible.

May 1, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #4,842 of 7,413
  The NU and Sylvania "chrome dome" are both very likely from the early 1950's. Usually the dates were silk-screened on the base, but in your pictures, if they exist, they are not visible.

Thanks for the quick response. Is that really a chrome dome? I know there was one sort of official chrome dome but I also know that many others had the same feature but were different in some way that meant they weren't genuine. I'm sure I read that somewhere. Any idea how these rate sound quality-wise? I like them all to be honest, but my reference points are non-existant. The GE seems a bit brighter, more SS sounding if that makes sense. The Sylvania seems much warmer in comparison. The NU seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Gordon.

May 1, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #4,843 of 7,413
  Thanks for the quick response. Is that really a chrome dome? I know there was one sort of official chrome dome but I also know that many others had the same feature but were different in some way that meant they weren't genuine. I'm sure I read that somewhere. Any idea how these rate sound quality-wise? I like them all to be honest, but my reference points are non-existant. The GE seems a bit brighter, more SS sounding if that makes sense. The Sylvania seems much warmer in comparison. The NU seems to be somewhere in the middle.

The classic "chrome dome" is either a 6SN7GT from the late 1940's or a 6SN7GTA from the early 1950's. It is characterized by a heavy chrome getter splash covering significantly more than half the bottle. Further, the demarcation between the chrome splatter and clear glass is ragged and hazy. In later tubes, the chrome typically covers significantly less than half the bottle, and the demarcation is a fairly clean and straight. These later tubes are often called chrome domes by some eBay vendors, but they are obviously different than the earlier tubes.

As to sound quality, in my opinion, both the NU and chrome dome are terrific. However, everyone has different ears and different gear. For every person who thinks a certain tube is tops, there is another who thinks it is just OK. So in the end, I encourage you to trust your own ears.

Cheers

May 1, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #4,844 of 7,413
  Ha!

I don't think you will need to worry about running out  
smile.gif

I just recently bougt a couple TSBGRP 6F8G

I cant wait to compare the sound with the 6SN7 version

I have both versions. 6Sn7 is forward 6F8G for imaging and 3D sounding, but they sound both very close. My favorite is still the 6SN7.

May 1, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #4,845 of 7,413

The classic "chrome dome" is either a 6SN7GT from the late 1940's or a 6SN7GTA from the early 1950's. It is characterized by a heavy chrome getter splash covering significantly more than half the bottle. Further, the demarcation between the chrome splatter and clear glass is ragged and hazy. In later tubes, the chrome typically covers significantly less than half the bottle, and the demarcation is a fairly clean and straight. These later tubes are often called chrome domes by some eBay vendors, but they are obviously different than the earlier tubes.

As to sound quality, in my opinion, both the NU and chrome dome are terrific. However, everyone has different ears and different gear. For every person who thinks a certain tube is tops, there is another who thinks it is just OK. So in the end, I encourage you to trust your own ears.

Cheers

Brilliant post mate, thank you.

Yes, my one is mostly chrome but it is uneven. It has the remnants of some yellow writing on the base but not enough to make any sense. Someone's written on the actual tube in felt pen (?) "83/89" and below that "50". On the top of the tube it says 6SN7GTAwithin a gold hexagon and just below that what looks like "K2R".

I do like both but now I've had a couple of hours with the GE I actually think I prefer that. It's a bit punchier & transients seem to be quicker. The snare on John Mayer's 'Gravity' is incredible now! That valve's a VT231 for what it's worth. I'm not too sure what that actually means but I'm led to believe it's got something to do with it being a bit beefier in the build. It doesn't appear as warm as the Chrome Dome though so I'm not sure what I'll settle on. The NU is a bit meh to be honest. Perhaps it hasn't been burned in enough, if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks again. It's nice to learn new stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back