6SN7 Tube Addicts
Mar 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #4,621 of 7,413
Well it twas not me that brought up SS. I have tried out many a portable and desktop SS and yes they run the gamut imo. However I don't think it is a bad idea to seek out what sounds neutral if that is what you are looking for. For me SS rules in speed, prat, and bass. Tube rules in 3d, natural tone, and micro detail. However those rules are not set in stone and I have come across SS amps that do tube things and tube amps that do SS things. However I have never come across a SS amp or a tube amp that does all 3 of the things I mentioned for each category above and while my peak/volcano does speed and prat it is not perfect and is missing that visceral bass impact that I have gotten from many SS amps and I have found a decent amount 6sn7 tubes to be a little bass shy. 

The lack of bass from the peak/volcano, the lack of bass and mid range bloom from a decent amount of 6sn7's I have tried and the fact that the 3f is a little shy in the bass department can sometimes lead to a too mid-centric and bass shy/lean listen. I guess more specifically than a neutral tube I'm looking for a 6sn7 with a little more bass impact and less mid range bloom. It does not have to be perfect I have found the ken-rad and bad boy to have plenty of bass and the 5692's to be a lil less bloomy and very pleasurable sounding.   

I think the peak/volcano is a great amp and I doubt there is any other amp out there that gets so much out of a 6sn7 tube, only one at that. However I think that each headphone is only going to have a few tubes it works with and I can tell ya while the b65 is rare and expensive it is def. not the answer for the lcd-3f as it def. has a midrange bloom and it prob. the most bass light 6sn7 I own. I kept one marconi b65 cause my speakers like it and I have a sub8 to do whatever I want to the bass with a remote but I sold my osram b65 and probably quite a few others.

What stinks is that my X's really liked allot of my 6sn7's. The midrange bloom and lack of bass worked really well with the X's analytical mids and bass emphasized sound. Hardly any headroom though on my peak/volcano and I prefer the smoother more neutral sound of the 3f compared to the openness and detail of the X. I also have to majorly disagree with many in the lcd-3 thread saying that the 3f and X sound a like. To me they are VERY different sounding and I have/had them side by side. These two headphones are night and day different sounding in the bass, similar in treble, but yeah night and day in the bass. If I had to pick out a headphone that sounds most like the X it is not the 3f or hd800 but the 007mk2 with me preferring the X by quite a margin without the over accentuated openness and detail of the 007mk2.

I do think there's some hope though. While not "the tube" I have at least 4 tubes that sound very good and I have a pre cbs hytron and 6sn7w long bottle black base on the way and if those do not work at least I will have a base line from where you guys are coming from and the melz and tsrp looks like they got a few votes too so I could always try them.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #4,622 of 7,413

Just bought a nice NOS set that test well for US $640 pair. I predict they will be up to $800 by the end of the year.

Very likely. Have you tried the National Union 6F8G? Only tube I have heard that comes close to the TS RP and adds a lovely sweetness to the sound as well.

The TS RP is quite neutral, but wonderfully good. For a driver that adds something special to the sound, and comes close to the other qualities of the TS RP, the 6F8G NU is worth a try. It is a very special tube.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #4,623 of 7,413
There are other 6SN7's that are as good if not better.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #4,624 of 7,413

Like what? :confused:

TS RP is supose to be the best and I have not heard better than the NU 6F8G.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #4,625 of 7,413

My B65 with my Apex Pinnacle with Senn 800's balanced has plenty of bass, although not as much as a SS amp might have. It really sounds sublime with all types of music. I have thought about adding the LCD 3F, but now I'm not so sure.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #4,626 of 7,413
Like what?
confused.gif

TS RP is supose to be the best and I have not heard better than the NU 6F8G.

I'd like to know the answer to that too.

I have TS RPs and NUs. The TS RP are technically the better all around performer to my ears, by a slim margin, but the NUs add a sweet warmth to the sound that is quite special. If there is a 6SN7 out there that can beat either of them please share that information (question directed to rosgr63).

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #4,627 of 7,413

He is talking about the 6F8G. I would like to get a pair of NU 6SN7 one day. They are supposedly electrically equivalent, but in 6SN7, the NU often gets relegated to the middle of the pack. Until recently, the VT-99 had very little review on the web, as most people assumed it would perform like the 6SN7, but several of us have found that the NU is right up there with the TSrp, which by all accounts is either as good or better than the 6SN7 equivalent.

I know this is a 6SN7 thread, but 6F8G is essentially the same thing, just with a top heater pin. And much cheaper. In 6F8G, the TS and NU are head and shoulders about everything else.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #4,628 of 7,413
  He is talking about the 6F8G. I would like to get a pair of NU 6SN7 one day. They are supposedly electrically equivalent, but in 6SN7, the NU often gets relegated to the middle of the pack. Until recently, the VT-99 had very little review on the web, as most people assumed it would perform like the 6SN7, but several of us have found that the NU is right up there with the TSrp, which by all accounts is either as good or better than the 6SN7 equivalent.

I know this is a 6SN7 thread, but 6F8G is essentially the same thing, just with a top heater pin. And much cheaper. In 6F8G, the TS and NU are head and shoulders about everything else.

Apologies - I misunderstood the original poster (rosgr63) - I am talking only about the 6F8Gs here - TS RP and NU.

I have never heard (or seen in the flesh) a 6SN7 TS RP or NU.

What I do know is the the 6F8G NU is close to the technical performance of the 6F8G TS RP and it has a lovely sweet warmth to it that I find delightful, particularly for vocals. When paired with close to neutral tubes - like the Brimar rectifier - I prefer the NU to the TS RP.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4,629 of 7,413
No offence we have talked in detail about 6F8G's and other equivalents in earlier posts sometime ago.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,630 of 7,413
I scored me a pair of Chatham 6AS7G today. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,631 of 7,413
  I scored me a pair of Chatham 6AS7G today. 

Wrong thread dude.

Congrats tho. I saw those up for sale on eBarf. I was concidering them.
I have 3 sets and they are by far the best 6AS7G I have. I have not listened to the 5998 tho.

Enjoy them. Actually I might roll in a pair tonight. I'm using the Bendix 6080 Graphite plates and I'm not really enjoying them.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #4,632 of 7,413
thanks.....my bad on posting here....did not know it was 6SN7 thread  
tongue.gif

I was considering a pair of graphite plate 6080's also.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #4,633 of 7,413
tongue.gif

It's done now.
wink.gif

6080 Graphite plates. If you like dry. Go for it.

I like lush. Chatham 6AS7G. Yummy.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #4,634 of 7,413

tongue.gif

It's done now.
wink.gif

6080 Graphite plates. If you like dry. Go for it.

I like lush. Chatham 6AS7G. Yummy.

I think I will grab a pair of 5998 while I have the cash and explore the 6080's later on.

Heck, I do not even have my OTL yet....I am just getting ready  
smile.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #4,635 of 7,413

I think I will grab a pair of 5998 while I have the cash and explore the 6080's later on.

Heck, I do not even have my OTL yet....I am just getting ready  
smile.gif

You would be very welcome here
normal_smile .gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/410326/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here/1830#post_11426714

In case you have not seen it take a look at Nick Tams excellent assessment of the top tier 6as7g/6080 tubes 5998, WE421a, GEC 6as7g, Bendix etc the pics have disappeared (only recently) but its still very handy for reference  and you can always google up a image of the tube in question.

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back