6SN7 Tube Addicts
Mar 13, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #4,591 of 7,413
  National Union tubes are chameleons.  They change pretty radically depending upon how they are biased and how many volts are on the plates.  This is true of all tubes of course but in my experience the variation is usually not so pronounced. 

With fewer volts they are the softest and most colored sounding 6SN7 I know, and not always in a good way.  Run them harder and they come alive with strong dyamics and unusually aggressive attack for a 6SN7.

I saw you mention that you have never come across a neutral 6sn7. However what is your closest to neutral that you have heard?

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4,595 of 7,413
  Does anyone know any 6SN7 tubes that are more solid state sounding? Neutral, fast, clean, crisp. I don't really want to color the sound.

I did my own bit of research lately and it seems like enthusiasts think the 6sn7w is the most neutral. I just pulled the trigger on one, a tall bottle black base but it's $175 so maybe wait till I report back. I'm having a hard time finding a neutral tube as well. Out of ten only the 5692 redbase seems close to neutral imo.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #4,596 of 7,413

The most SS sounding tubes that I came across are  Hytrons.  Very quick clean and to my ears uncolored.  There are at least two variants, the older Hyrtron  and then CBS bought them and they became CBS Hytrons.  You won't miss the difference when you are looking for them, CBS labeled them clearly.  The early 50's pre CBS tube are the most desirable. 
I haven't had a lot of positive experiences with new production  6SN7s, but have heard the Tung Sol is pretty  good and should not flavor your sound. I can't swear on it but you might want to investigate that avenue. 
The Sylvania GTBs that were mentioned are on the richer side of things and while very good tubes for most, may not be what your after IMHO of course, and no slight intended..

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #4,597 of 7,413
I would have to agree that as well.  Hytrons have less midrange bloom than most other 6SN7 type tubes.  The post-roundplate Tung Sols such as the mouse ear are also fairly even handed, though generally more lit up in the upper midrange and lower treble than the Hytrons are.  Most of the British valves such as the Brimars are nicely even-handed though I wouldn't call them neutral.  Just not unbalanced they way some tubes are.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #4,598 of 7,413

The most SS sounding tubes that I came across are  Hytrons.  Very quick clean and to my ears uncolored.  There are at least two variants, the older Hyrtron  and then CBS bought them and they became CBS Hytrons.  You won't miss the difference when you are looking for them, CBS labeled them clearly.  The early 50's pre CBS tube are the most desirable. 
I haven't had a lot of positive experiences with new production  6SN7s, but have heard the Tung Sol is pretty  good and should not flavor your sound. I can't swear on it but you might want to investigate that avenue. 
The Sylvania GTBs that were mentioned are on the richer side of things and while very good tubes for most, may not be what your after IMHO of course, and no slight intended..

I have the tungsol and a sofia princess and I would avoid. Just me though. At least they were free with my peak/volcano.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #4,599 of 7,413
  Does anyone know any 6SN7 tubes that are more solid state sounding? Neutral, fast, clean, crisp. I don't really want to color the sound.

for me  TS rp's and Brimar 6SN7 GT black glass are very neutral.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #4,600 of 7,413
I like the "W"s myself but didn't think of it sounding SS like by any means.  It has wonderful sound staging ability and a sweet treble,  good but often  recessed bass.  The magic in this one  is in the midrange a glorious beautiful upper mid but not SS.  You will like what you hear anyway!  

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #4,601 of 7,413

I have most premium 6SN7 variants apart from the B65. I used them on the Woo WA5 and Apex Teton. I would rank the tubes in terms of neutrality as follows: CBS/Hytron 5692 brown base > Sylvania 6SN7W metal base > Tungsol BGRP 6SN7 > Mullard CV181

The Hytron is by far the most SS like. But it still has that bit of 6SN7 midrange bloom. Perhaps 6SN7s are naturally less neutral?

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #4,603 of 7,413
  Sylvania 6SN7W is as close as it gets.  There are at least 3 versions.  All are expensive.

This is what I found after looking around bing and google for a while. I have a tall bottle on the way. I also took the advice of some others and bought a pre cbs hytron. Lojay I think the 5692 and hyton are two different tubes but I could be wrong. I have a 5692 rca red and raytheon brown base and I find them decently neutral. Crossing my fingers and thank you all for the suggestions.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4,604 of 7,413

This is what I found after looking around bing and google for a while. I have a tall bottle on the way. I also took the advice of some others and bought a pre cbs hytron. Lojay I think the 5692 and hyton are two different tubes but I could be wrong. I have a 5692 rca red and raytheon brown base and I find them decently neutral. Crossing my fingers and thank you all for the suggestions.

Mine is the CBS JAN-CHY-5692, not the Hytron. It has a brown base with red letters. So I will get an even better sound with the pre CBS version?

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #4,605 of 7,413
This idea that SS = Neutral is not really valid, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back