6SN7 Tube Addicts
Mar 21, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #4,651 of 7,413

I missed a pair of the Swedish 33S30's that would have come to me from a private seller who has consistently sold me superior examples of true NOS tubes.  Unfortunately I used most of them as they came to me at the height of my tube rolling experimentation.
I have bought some really uninspired TSRPs I have 3 pairs, only one pair sounds truly special.  I think you have to be careful about generalization on a single tube or lot of tubes, because condition is very important. Sometimes a designation like VT231 seems to correlate with a better sounding tube than it's GT civilian clone, regardless of the engineers intent.  The statement that  3 rivet 3 hole plates are the same as the GTs  (2 hole plates of this apparent design that  otherwise  seem to be  " Identical' to   the 51-53 GT tube is very wrong, despite the  "expert" source.  Len over on audio asylum dissected the tubes in question and the Bad Boy seemed to much more  stoutly designed with seriously much more copper wire length and gauge. Ultimately it means doing your homework. 
I am an older fart  and think many of you rush headlong into the world of tubes buying only very expensive rarities.  It would be very instructive to try less expensive tubes to give you a perspective and really knowing that there is no "ordinary 6SN7" that would satisfy your needs and as I already said give you the background that would makes sense of buying the rarities, otherwise it just a  pissing contest.

P.S.  The domino 5998s are excellent and that 6080s OK  but not as good.
To whomever expressed being anxious about finding them.  They are already in short supply.  I bought a couple of the Western Electric 421As and one of the two is pretty weak, so caveat emptor.

I bought a 6 pack of 6sn7's for around $300 from brent jesse before I went for some rarer more expensive tubes. I also got 2 free tubes from ttvj with my peak/volcano. I can also say that a b65 is not an all arounder. Magnificent tube but not an all arounder. I just tried out the pre cbs hytron today and it is absolutely what I was looking for. Less midrange bloom and authoritative bass, though not quite as much as the ken-rad, but that tube is almost too bassy. Thank you for all the suggestions. This tube was only $75 shipped and it is quickly becoming my fav. despite not being major dinero. Hoping the 6sn7w long bottle is more of the same but taken to another level.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #4,652 of 7,413

If what you want is or sounds like a TSRP, then of course only TSRP or a predecessor like 6F8G (NU) will do.  Your preference for the 6F8G is shared by many DIYers and tube lovers I read on Audio Asylum's Tube Asylum .  You have found your favorite sound and that is good especially if as you point out it is affordable to the person seeking it.
One thing missing from these discussions is the circuit the tube is being used in.  I was lucky that my first tube amp's driver stage was a pair of  6SN7s.  Rolling them made a big difference.  My big rig eventually  used an AE-3 (Cary) pre amp which relied on  6SN7  tubes  for amplification.  I had no idea how many of my tubes were microphonic more or less.  I used Sylvania "W"s (actually the earlier "A" frequently) for a stretch and just loved them, I had collected a bunch so I had several variants to choose from. Then I tried  the Brimar CV1988 6SN7GTYs and found them to make me the happiest .  At times though I would roll in whatever came to mind for variety, and wasn't slavishly devoted  to any single brand, edition or variant.
The only istance I can think of for that was my 6CA7 output tubes in my monbloc amps, they just didn't seem to be working on all cylinders unless the EH Big Bottle 6CA7s were in it, and I am not a big fan of Russian tubes.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,655 of 7,413
Mar 22, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #4,656 of 7,413
No,  i meant which 6F8G sounding closest to TS 6SN7 bgrp. ?

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #4,658 of 7,413
No,  i meant which 6F8G sounding closest to TS 6SN7 bgrp. ?

It is answered above. The answer is the TS RP 6F8G. It has the same plates as the TS RP 6SN7 so it is the same sound.

If you don't want a TS RP 6F8G but it's closest sounding tube. It is kinda personal preference however I would say NU6F8G. However it is coloured where the TS is less so.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #4,659 of 7,413
NU 6F8G is more colored than TS . You speak about NU with yellow mark on top ?

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #4,660 of 7,413
I consider the TS 6F8G Black Glass Flat Plates as a decent cheaper alternative.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,661 of 7,413
  NU 6F8G is more colored than TS . You speak about NU with yellow mark on top ?

Yip. My ones last week.

The paint can be removed by fingernails.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #4,662 of 7,413
  I consider the TS 6F8G Black Glass Flat Plates as a decent cheaper alternative.

They just look like RCA's. Are they????

The RCA's flatplates would be my third favorite 6F8G's. The RCA's can be had for a lot less than the TS FP's.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #4,663 of 7,413
i've got one 6F8G TS bg flate plate and like it. In confrontation with NU 6F8G what would you say ?

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #4,664 of 7,413
No rules when it comes to tubes.

What sounds good to you is the best tube, no matter how little it costs. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #4,665 of 7,413
True, but i'm searching about MY ultimate tube. In my dream it will be like a TS 6F8G with more warm mids. That's why i'm asking about NU which they are apparently more colored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back