6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 11, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #2,221 of 7,413
Thanks for the nice comments dear Kiertijai.
I always try to recommend value for money tubes.
I am guilty for buying some very expensive tubes but it doesn't mean I would recommend them.
This is part of the addiction!

May 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2,222 of 7,413
The  price of the 6SU7GTY's was not high comparing to the Tungsol BGRP (which is now more than 400$/pair)
but the price has gone up more , now I have seen around 300$+
I was fortunate enough to get 2 pairs at the time with good price
Now it's the time that I will collect Tungsol VT229

May 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,223 of 7,413
Indeed they have gone way up in price. I was able to buy them for a while in NOS for $25 a PAIR!

May 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,224 of 7,413
Anybody have any experience with Raytheon 6SN7GT/VT-231 black base orange print?  I know there are a few different types (T plates, ladder plates, etc.), but any comparisons to Sylvania VT-231, Sylvania 6SN7W and TS BGRP would be appreciated.

May 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #2,225 of 7,413
Quote:
Does anyone find the VT-231 to be a little microphonic? 

Quote:
Every Ken Rad 6SN7 I ever owned was very microphonic. I thought it was bad luck, but now I'm not so sure.

Quote:
I also own one. It is indeed very microphonic.

Yup!  They would make the ultimate door bell.  You just look at them and they ring.

Quote:
 Is it possible that this may depends on amp?

Nope.  If it did I would consider another amp perhaps.  
tongue_smile.gif

May 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #2,226 of 7,413
Raytheon talk, here is an experimental 6SN7GT

May 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #2,227 of 7,413
Meaning it's an engineering prototype?  What a unique find if that is the case.  I've never heard the t-plate Raytheons, but the ladder plate military tubes are quite good.  Sort of boring I must confess, at least in my opinion, but at a technical level they perform very well.  I have a GTB Raytheon, at least I'm pretty sure it's Raytheon (it's branded Traveler), with an unusual getter that is attached to the side of one of the plates.  I didn't think much of it at first listen, but when I took the time to really play some music through it I was blown away at how good it sounds in terms of speed, detail, and control.  The bass is amazingly taut and it has what may be the best dynamics of any 6SN7 I've heard.  Definitely the opposite of romantic, and I didn't find the tone quite to my liking but it still wasn't bad.  Proof positive that there are some good finds amongst the GTB tubes that go overlooked.

May 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #2,228 of 7,413
Quote:
Raytheon talk, here is an experimental 6SN7GT

Whoa, cool.  Is that in your possession? How does it sound?

Quote:
Meaning it's an engineering prototype?  What a unique find if that is the case.  I've never heard the t-plate Raytheons, but the ladder plate military tubes are quite good.  Sort of boring I must confess, at least in my opinion, but at a technical level they perform very well.  I have a GTB Raytheon, at least I'm pretty sure it's Raytheon (it's branded Traveler), with an unusual getter that is attached to the side of one of the plates.  I didn't think much of it at first listen, but when I took the time to really play some music through it I was blown away at how good it sounds in terms of speed, detail, and control.  The bass is amazingly taut and it has what may be the best dynamics of any 6SN7 I've heard.  Definitely the opposite of romantic, and I didn't find the tone quite to my liking but it still wasn't bad.  Proof positive that there are some good finds amongst the GTB tubes that go overlooked.

Thank you for the impressions.  I'll keep them in mind as I'm shopping for a Raytheon.

May 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #2,229 of 7,413
The tube is in my possession and it sounds very good.

It's actually a working prototype.

The side getter tubes are either GTA or GTB, FIVRE been my preference of that style.

Here is the Raytheon GTB

May 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2,231 of 7,413
NMV...

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,234 of 7,413
Best keep your ECC32 for stock, if you like the sound that is.

The adapters of the 6SN7 "killer" have arrived, testing will start soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back