6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,147 of 7,413
Research and development never stopped.

May 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,148 of 7,413
Looking forward to returning my attention to the FIVRE's later this week. Finally got around to WAR this past weekend. 
wink.gif
 Better late than never.

May 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #2,149 of 7,413
Cisco Kid, Me and Baby Brother, Galaxy, Cinco De Mayo, The World is a Ghetto, Low Rider, Tobacco Road, Outlaw, Spill the Wine, Hey Señorita, Southern Part of Texas, Get Down to name a few.

Actually I am listening to these tracks as we speak.

Driver is a FIVRE 6CG7 driving a pair of NU 6F8G's.
Sounds good.

May 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #2,150 of 7,413
Some of my oval mica TS BGRP have steel rods, and some have copper rods. Not sure I have ever really thought much about if there is any sonic difference that can be attributed to that either.

May 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,151 of 7,413
The difference jumped out at me.  I wasn't even looking for one, I just observed mismatched tone in a pair of tubes I had and began to examine the tube more closely to see if there were any physical differences and the posts was the only one.  Given it will have different heating and conducting properties from steel it stands to reason it will affect some things.  In every comparison I've made steel posts have a leaner sound that is a bit hotter in the upper mids and copper posts have a slightly richer warmer sound with a bit more mid bloom.  I universally prefer the copper in tubes where I have both, the harmonics just seem more real and fleshed out in those tubes.

May 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #2,153 of 7,413
Quote:
The difference jumped out at me.  I wasn't even looking for one, I just observed mismatched tone in a pair of tubes I had and began to examine the tube more closely to see if there were any physical differences and the posts was the only one. 

What were you listening to when you made this discovery?  I don't think I would notice that especially with a stereo recording.

May 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2,156 of 7,413
Quote:
The difference jumped out at me.  I wasn't even looking for one, I just observed mismatched tone in a pair of tubes I had and began to examine the tube more closely to see if there were any physical differences and the posts was the only one.  Given it will have different heating and conducting properties from steel it stands to reason it will affect some things.  In every comparison I've made steel posts have a leaner sound that is a bit hotter in the upper mids and copper posts have a slightly richer warmer sound with a bit more mid bloom.  I universally prefer the copper in tubes where I have both, the harmonics just seem more real and fleshed out in those tubes.

smiley_thumb.gif
 You're good!

May 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2,157 of 7,413
I've got a bad Oval Mica.  I could send it to you to open up.
Quote:
I was told by one of my tube suppliers.
One might have to destroy one of each different mica tubes to find out.
I could never do that, so I cannot confirm whether it's true or not.

However if somebody has two dead tubes with the different micas then we can find out, I'll let them know what to look for!
evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,158 of 7,413
Quote:

What were you listening to when you made this discovery?  I don't think I would notice that especially with a stereo recording.

You mean what music?  I don't recall exactly.  It was just a feeling that creeped up on me over time while listening.  I could not shake the feeling that tonal balance was different on the right channel vs. the left so I swapped the tubes and differences in tone followed.  I initially thought it to be electrical mismatching or something with that particular pair of tubes, but after some investigating I discovered several other pairs of tubes I owned that had mismatched grid posts in the same way and all of them exhibited the same tonal imbalance.  On pairs with matching posts the tone always felt the same on each channel, or in other words it sounded right and nothing was amiss.

This was one of the first things I learned to check for when buying tubes in pairs, but by that time I had already bought quite a bit of my collection anyway.

May 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,159 of 7,413
I wouldn't go opening tubes. Unless you enjoy Mercury poisoning.

May 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #2,160 of 7,413
Well, now my other BGRP Tung Sol, the one that was good, is howling in the amp.  *sigh*

I would wonder if it was the amp, but I've had somewhere around 15 other 6SN7 tubes in this socket and all of them were dead quiet.  But both of my absurdly expensive Tung Sols have noise problems up the wazoo.

Maybe this is part of the reason why I like Sylvania tubes so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back