6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,176 of 7,413
Xcalibur have you "heated up" the pins?

It's true the tubes achieve their full emission after a few hundred hours and after extensive use one section becomes weak and then the other follows.

Also some tubes that have not been used for a long time may never wake up.
In some countries the military used to run the stock/unused tubes every few years to make sure they are ready for use.

I don't think I know more about tubes than you. I learn new things about them every day. 

May 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,177 of 7,413
Quote:
Xcalibur have you "heated up" the pins?

I'm scared to honestly.  I am very clumsy with tools.  I do own a low power soldering iron I bought to fix one of my computer monitors, but I had to ask a friend to do the soldering because I didn't trust myself with the job.

Glenn did this for me with a Sylvania tube, but we weren't able to save it.  It turned out to be a short between the cathode.  The other tube from that pair is now my daily use tube in my amp so it all worked out I suppose.  I still have never found a tube that renders such beautiful vocals as that Sylvania, maybe an ECC32 but they're too expensive.  It's a shame they are misidentified so often.

May 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #2,178 of 7,413
With the vast numbers of tubes Sylvania cranked out, there's bound to be a tube for everyone's tastes. You've certainly found yours. I'm following your current Tung-Sol dilemma. After two weeks, if they don't get themselves right, maybe we can give 'em a go here and see what they do inside this amp.

I'll be on the sideline and watching...
popcorn.gif

May 5, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #2,179 of 7,413
Xcalibur just plug in the soldering iron and wait until it gets hot.
Then run it up and down the pins so they get hot, that's all.

Bruno, my French Tube Guru and dear friend, actually uses a solder pump to remove the old solder and re solders with fresh one.

If the worst comes to the worst re-basing might be an option.

PS This is Bruno's photo.

May 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #2,182 of 7,413
May 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #2,183 of 7,413
These seem to go for a pretty penny, I wonder how much they are discounting for the floating glass piece inside one of them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-2A3-FIVRE-ITALY-MONOPLATE-1930s-TEST-PERFECT-1-tube-have-glass-piece-inside-/251047303483?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a7395d93b

May 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #2,184 of 7,413
Quote:
Any comments about the B65 in the pictures will be appreciated.  I am told by the seller that these are better than other Marconi/Osram metal base, smoky glass B65s.

I had a pair recently until one tube started humming badly and had to get a refund. But for the short time that I tried them, I was quite impressed. Midrange was sweet and treble, while on the bright side, was not fatiguing. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the bass the most, despite most people saying they are bass shy. It is very tight with good punch and depth and great detail. Soundstaging was average however, and prices these days are outrageous. How much was the seller asking for?

May 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #2,185 of 7,413
cacatalysis, well done they are very nice tubes indeed.
They have cathode boil off marks which means they will be very strong when you test them.

I can't say if they are better than the smoked glass equivalents as it's been a long time since I did ABX tests.
Amongst the B65 family my favorites are the QA2408 at the minute.

I agree with kchew's comments.
I too had a similar NIB tube with a dead section recently. 

Let us know what you think of them when you get them.

May 7, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #2,186 of 7,413
kchew and rosg63, Thanks for your impressions and comments.  These are not a pair, tested as 85% and 65%, respectively.  The seller is somebody I can trust.  The asking price is $700 for both.  I am looking for one B65 for my incoming BA.  I am told the life time of B65 are in the order of 15000 hours, and they should have plenty of life left. 

May 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #2,187 of 7,413
May 8, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2,190 of 7,413
I always leave a clue!

Oskari, I removed the clue for now until I have the adapters and try it for myself first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back