6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #2,116 of 7,413
The real question is, what are you going to do with it? It's much less close to a 6SN7 than even the ECC32 is.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,118 of 7,413
Risky? Probably not very, as long as an ECC32 would have been OK. The heater current draw is the same - .95 A, versus the .6 A that a standard 6SN7GT draws. If the power transformer is OK for the extra heater current, then the main issue is that the amplification factor is just over half of a 6SN7, and 1/3 of an ECC32. Some of the other operating points are also different and I'm not sure what impact that will have on the sound.

Since you bought is, you might as well try it, again if the power transformer was rated to handle an ECC32.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #2,119 of 7,413
I have used ECC34's with my SP Extreme (Bolder Mod) without any problems.
Sound wise it's fine, but not as good as the ECC32.
Some people regard them highly.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,121 of 7,413
Tube looks good to me, lets hope it will perform well. The seller, on the other hand, is the story teller and the price is more common than not. I strongly advice you to buy tubes from the trust source, especially when you pay full price. Let us know.
Quote:
Won a black glass round plate Tung Sol 6SN7GT on eBay last night: http://tinyurl.com/bvofb9y

Probably should've asked somebody on this thread if this tube was the real deal before making a bid, but there wasn't much time left, so I figured I'd take the plunge.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,122 of 7,413
Quote:
Tube looks good to me, lets hope it will perform well. The seller, on the other hand, is the story teller and the price is more common than not. I strongly advice you to buy tubes from the trust source, especialy when you pay full price. Let us know.

Thanks! 
biggrin.gif

No more Fivre B65 have popped up on eBay unfortunately.  I'll keep looking.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #2,123 of 7,413
Very nice tube at a very good price, well done!
BTW FIVRE never made any B65 as far as I know,

Here is a FIVRE 6SN7GTA with a bottom lighting bridge.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2,124 of 7,413
Quote:
Very nice tube at a very good price, well done!
BTW FIVRE never made any B65 as far as I know,

Here is a FIVRE 6SN7GTA with a bottom lighting bridge.

Thank you, kind sir!  And that is a beautiful picture.  I'm probably thinking of the 6SN7GT, but the eBay ads had "B65" written in the listing titles, so that's likely the source of confusion.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #2,125 of 7,413
The sellers use 6SN7, B65 and ECC32 all together to just make it possible that their ad will be found with any search option used by possible buyer.
Quote:

Thank you, kind sir!  And that is a beautiful picture.  I'm probably thinking of the 6SN7GT, but the eBay ads had "B65" written in the listing titles, so that's likely the source of confusion.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2,126 of 7,413
It is not clear to me why Tung-Sol went away from the early version in the BGRP - Round mica to Oval mica and what changes in sound, if any. I have the Oval, but now and then see sellers touting the Round mica as superior. However, to be clear, I am not worried and enjoying my pair as I should but just curious.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #2,127 of 7,413
WHY they did it, we will never know. Some people claim the round mica is slightly better, probably because they are older. I honestly could not tell any difference at all.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2,128 of 7,413
With everyone seemingly ramped up with war time efforts, perhaps someone had an "Ah-ha" moment. And the new version quickly found itself out in the theater...

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2,129 of 7,413
My personal theory is better decoupling of the structure from the glass to help prevent transmission of vibrations.  This being due to the fact that there are fewer points of contact from the two tabs on the oval mica vs. the many teeth pressing against the glass on the round mica version.  Mind you I have no basis for this, it's just something that crossed my mind while I was thinking about it one day.  Tung-Sol adopted the oval mica on quite a few of their tubes all around that time so there must have been an engineering reason for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back